Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to VT

Poster: A snowHead
So searching around for a surprise Easter ski getaway (Thursday to Monday) for my partners 40th. I found a nice hotel and dates I want, the company I was going to book with wants £310 per person for the transfers!

Is it me or is that ruddy expensive?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that's expensive. For a private taxi transfer, you would expect it to be about that, or a bit more, for both of you. Try altibus.com. or, probably cheaper, bensbus.co.uk
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think that's expensive. For a private taxi transfer, you would certainly expect it to be about that, or a bit more, for both of you. Try altibus.com. or, probably cheaper, bensbus.co.uk
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Benjamint, have a look on http://www.findtransfers.com/ - no connection and I haven't used them, but their Shared Transfer page would seem to be useful if there's only two if you
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
car hire will be substantially, substantially cheaper. Particularly if you book from the french side of GVA.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Is it me or is that ruddy expensive?

No its what it costs - its a long way, in a winterised minibus, probably 14 hours (on a good weather day when you are not late) of wages at a minimum of £10 per hour, plus fuel, wear and tear tolls of €40, plus all the costs of operating: insurance for hire and reward, medicals for the drivers, permits to pick up at Geneva, operators licence and exams, vignette for Switzerland - I could go on.

If you had 8 of you, you would be saying how cheap it is..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

No its what it costs - its a long way, in a winterised minibus, probably 14 hours

What are you talking about? Its about 3 hrs 45 mins to Val Thorens from Geneva!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

What are you talking about? Its about 3 hrs 45 mins to Val Thorens from Geneva!!

Yes and the driver probably originates close to Val T has to drive to the airport drive you back and repeat on you return journey so 3 hrs 45 min x 4 is actually 15 hours. Trust me I know what I'm talking about.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Yes and the driver probably originates close to Val T has to drive to the airport drive you back and repeat on you return journey so 3 hrs 45 min x 4 is actually 15 hours.

When you put it like that it makes sense. I guess I only think of it as 3 hrs 45 x 2, i.e not paying for his trip out to collect me and back without me!!!

Quote:

Trust me I know what I'm talking about.

I stand corrected!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've booked a return private transfer with ski4fun (based in Montalbert I think) from Geneva to Les Menuires in early March - 3 of us travelling.

Have used them before - very reliable, great service etc (no connection with them at all by the way).

Cost per head more or less the same as what it would have cost to hire a car (need a reasonable size to fit board bag etc), pay for petrol and tolls plus additional excess waiver and certainly less than what you have been quoted.

I'd rather sit back and let someone else negotiate the drive (which I have done numerous times in the past) than knacker myself before I even get to resort.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Trust me I know what I'm talking about.

I know what I'm talking about as well, I do a lot of Geneva transfer-driving (unpaid!) and I absolutely agree that people have no idea what's involved, especially when weather is bad. And I won't go to Geneva on any Saturday, let alone a peak Saturday. If people want to arrive on those days, they have to pay for a professional transfer!

However, I would still say that €620 for a return Gva/Val Thorens is expensive (though there was somebody recently daft enough to pay €300 for a one-way cab drive from Chamonix to Geneva. wink ) I saw a post a few days ago which said that bensbus do Val Thorens return for €74 which I said at the time is an absolute bargain.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, you are right - but Ben only operates Sat and Sun - whereas Altibus operates every day of the season as a 'service bus' at least 3 times a day (more on Sat).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 31-01-13 21:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Altibus and the equivalents aren't cheap either - I think it costs €40 single from Gva to Megeve (Borini). And that's only about an hour's drive. One way taxi between Gva and Les Saisies is €220 but that covers up to 3 people. There is effectively no sensible bus alternative because - much to my surprise - I found that there is no bus service now between Geneva and Albertville. There was in the past, but presumably there weren't enough takers. Lots of buses go via Albertville to the Tarentaise, obviously, but they'll take the new voie sur berges by pass and they don't stop in Albertville itself.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For £600, I am half tempted to drive down to geneva, run you up to VT,
For your trip, I get a crafty break for free.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could do a hybrid-get the Altibus to Moutiers and then a private taxi transfer up, though to be honest I think I'd just say sod it, hire a car (on the Swiss side as it's easier), and drive. If you're not in the rush hour-it takes us about 2hrs - 2 hrs 10 mins to get to St Martin de Belleville via Annecy (off the A41 at junc 16, follow the green signs for Albertvile), so VT, another 18km up the valley would add another 20 mins onto that time.
snow report
I got a hire car last week from Sunday night to Wednesday night for £110 from Holiday Autos.
ski holidays
We've recently booked a car (and not the smallest one either) from Sunday to Sunday during half-term week for £120 also thru Holiday Autos:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93941

Add a little bit for fuel and tolls but it's still difficult to beat.
snow conditions
You will need to pay for parking in VT though
snow report
altis, that's a cracking deal.
ski holidays
Thornyhill wrote:
You will need to pay for parking in VT though

Or park in Les Menuires and get the bus / ski lift back.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy