Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire from Sport Heinz at San Vigilio (Kronplatz)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm heading to Kronplatz at the half term with a large group of 30 or so parents and kids. According to SkiSet the cheapest place to hire kit in the area is Sport Heinz in San Vigilio di Marebbe. I know various Snowheads are staying in the area about now and I wonder if anyone is hiring from Sport Heinz and what their impressions are. On Google Street View the hire shop looks quite small. Do they have have enough staff to cope with large groups?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chomski, hello and welcome. Which town are you actually staying in? The transport system / road layout is such that you will probably be best off hiring in the town that you are staying. I have hired from two places in St Vigilio. One of them is Pepiski and I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the other. Both were fairly small. The shop that looks the most modern from the outside is the one at the base station of the Miara Gondola, but I haven't hired from them and can't comment on how big they are inside or what range of stock they carry.
If you are enquiring direct of the shop, you might want to ask what sort of payment method they accept as some don't take cards. The other one that I have used (but can't remember the name of) is situated near the Bronta Gondola, at the end furthest away from Miara, and they certainly didn't take cards last year.
I'm pretty sure that there is a hire depot on Kronplatz summit (which you can reach by Gondola from most - but not all sides of the mountain without needing skis) and they might have a tie-in with one of the shops around the bottom either in Reischach, Olang or St Vigilio. That might be worth considering if you are skiing Kronplatz mainly (as opposed to going into the main Dolomite area) as it would be easier to change boots in the event of sore feet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JohnHSmith:. Thanks for the info. We'll be staying in San Martino at the Hotel Diamant -- the same hotel being I think used by snowheads for the pre-Arabba event. The hotel has its own ski hire option, and there is another hire shop under the Piculin lift. It's just that I noticed on the SkiSet website you can hire skis+boots for 60Euro at Sport Heinz. San Vigilio is on the way to Kronplatz and is only 2 gondola journeys distant from San Martino.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chomski, you will get a better idea when the current lot out there post a report on their return. For sheer convenience I would ask Mountainsun if they can match your Internet quote. The Piculin lift is relatively new and the base station incorporates a couple of shops and lift pass sales etc. I haven't been in any of the shops but its certainly modern and I would expect able to cope with your group. There is a cash machine there as well.
To get into St Vigilio you go up the Piculin gondola and down either the gondola or ski to St Vigilio. That's not the centre of St Vigilio. As you come down into St Vigilio there are some cafés etc in a line facing you. It's then a walk into town to the majority of the hire shops. Or there is a shop at the right hand end (right hand when viewed looking downhill) which hires skis. You go to the end of the buildings and down some steps. That's the one I have used which doesn't take cards.
Or to get to the shop by the Miara Gondola, you go to the left hand side (viewed downhill) of the buildings and there is the Bronta Gondola which effectively transports you horizontally across town and finishes at Miara.

I suspect that you will find the other hire shops in St Vigilio a bit of a hassle to get to (only a bit of a hassle, but enough to put me off) and on balance I suggest that you should stick with Mountainsun, Piculin or Miara. I stress that I have not hired from any of these. My comments are based on convenience / accessability.

I do hope you have a fantastic time. This (St Vigilio) is my (current) favourite resort and a group of friends are going at the same time as you (but staying in St Vigilio). I have to wait until March before I go. Please do a 'trip report' when you return, with good and bad points
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chomski, you'd be much better off hiring from the hotel. San Vigilio is a loooong way to go without skis!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy