Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Qualifying as a Ski Instructor

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm looking to book onto a GAP Year Ski Instructor course next season to qualify for BASI Levels 1 and 2. There are lots of course providers out there so does anyone have any advice or recommendations as to the best providers to train with, please?

The Warren Smith Ski Academy course has caught my eye, and if anyone has been on it in the past then any views would be welcome!

Thanks a lot!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was skiing with some of the gappies from SnoWorks earlier in the season. They seemed to be enjoying it and had only good things to say about the course, and Phil Smith is a top bloke.

http://www.snoworks.co.uk/gap.asp
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stock response: Just remember you can do BASI 1 and 2 for a total of about £1000 all-in.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Phil Smith and Snoworks over Warren. Phil was a BASI Trainer Warren never was.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TDC do a Gap Year Programme too in Tignes/Val D'Isere. Their instructors are consistently good although I've no experience of their Gap Programme.

stevomcd, You'd really struggle to do it that cheaply, it's cost me more than that for my daughter's L1 (we also had to stay in Hemel for the week). L1 is £540 in UK plus £120 1st Aid and £50 for Criminal Disclosure and Child Protection and any shadowing costs. L2 is £555 course fee plus travel and 2 weeks lift pass, food and accommodation. You also need to be near the standard. Still a lot cheaper than Gapping though.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 30-01-13 19:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Claude B, leaving out 1st Aid and disclosure (which I already had from other outdoor leader qualis), I reckon L1 & L2 cost me about £1k. Maybe a little over. I made money from shadowing!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevomcd, One of the (very many) benefits of living over there I guess Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know a few gappies who have done Warren's course (daughter of a friend is currently there).

All have thoroughly enjoyed it and passed.

There are lots of good course, I'm sure Phil Smith's is good too (but be aware that Cynic is rather anti-Warren based on previous threads...no idea why, I'm sure he has his own reasons though).

I should add that both my youths did BASI 1 & 2 the independent way.
Advantages: Substantially cheaper (though £1k is unrealistic I think) and you are then qualified to actually teach (and earn money!) in your gap-season.
Disadvantages: you MUST be very close to the required level already...there is some training, but very limited given the length of the courses.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GDiSanto, You can also check out

http://www.basigap.com/

And more general information on qualifications on the BASI website.

http://www.basi.org.uk/

Please let me know if you have any questions.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, you going to the EOSB?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, no I'm not.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GDiSanto, i did my level 2 with ICE in valdisere , they also do a gap course and those on it seemed to enjoy it.

I found the course to be excellent - Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, Dam! Toofy Grin guess I'll have to explode someone else's head . . . I just need to spend some time with a trainer and find out just how weird my skiing is. I've arranged for a couple of days on alpine skis and I'm thinking of going for an early Gap course and spend a season putting something back into snow sports. I'm a cit crumbly but working on it . . . no old man grunt when getting out of a chair and I've yet to actually poop myself in a fall . . . came close when I broke my coccyx in a halfpipe . . . Oh well . . . you've been spared Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
... find out just how weird my skiing is.
From the little what I've seen there's nothing wrong with your skiing. Couldn't comment on how well you can demo snowplough, etc, but I think your performance skiing is in the ballpark to begin the BASI process.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, I can snowplow a snowboard wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, You still breathing powder and can't read the menus? lucky dog Very Happy

Come to think of it the last time you saw me on skis I'd only been on then 2.5 weeks total . . . don't assume it got any better Toofy Grin
latest report
Masque, If the usual instructors are at the EOSB there are trainers among them, Gavin Crosby is I believe.
snow report
GDiSanto, Neige Aventure in Nendaz is excellent for BASI Level 1 and 2. A very professional outfit with intensive training in all aspects. They have a residential gap year course.
latest report
Come and do your level 1 at Hemel. £550.00 plus lots of opportunity to shadow and gain experience. Couple of BASI trainers local and involved so its all dobro dobro!

Pete
ski holidays
Masque, I'm not a trainer! Just BASI's online rep Little Angel
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice everyone - lots to look into this weekend!

rungsp, thanks for confirming what I suspected about trying to qualify independently; I don't think I'm quite at the standard required for BASI 2 yet, and the coaching will be useful.

gilleski, nothing against Hemel but I've had very limited time on the slopes this season and last, so I'm very much looking forward to 8 or 10 weeks up in the mountains!
snow conditions
What about taking it in a different country. BASI level 1 allows you to teach in doors (if I am correct?) Where as many other foreign ones allow you to teach abroad form level 1.

I did complete level 1-4 to trainer through the Norwegian system in both Alpine and telemark, and while most of the literature is in Norwegian, the courses can and will be held in English and all theory done in English. Its a great system.
snow report
soulskier, I can't afford the price of beer in Norway
latest report
Masque. Are you going to ski or drink? Smile
snow conditions
Masque, Snoworks every timeover Warren smith. Lee Townend runs the snoworks GAP programme and is a BASI trainer. All snoworks coaches are ISTD standard and/or BASI tutors/trainers.

Warren Smith Ski Academy does not employ any trainers. All of his instructors are still working to improve their qualifications, most of them at ISIA standard and still aiming to ISTD level 4. Also I found Warren to be very disorganised which can affect the quality of the coaching you receive sometimes.
snow conditions
pfairbrother, Already talking with Lee. I'll get a 'numpty' rating at eosb and evaluate if I think I can make the grade. Sell a bunch of old kit that I don't need and invest in my fantasy setup Twisted Evil
Had a slightly odd mail, they will train for the TT but don't include it as part of the course but more emphasis is placed on GS and long turns so presumably the Eurotest is the one they target. . . . the opportunity for much entertainment at my expense I think Evil or Very Mad

Suppose I'd better drag out the language tapes too.
ski holidays
Masque, GS is an easier introduction to skiing gates than slalom.
latest report
Masque, FWIW Lee does some of the Northern L1 indoor courses, so you could do your L1 with him and get some feedback on what's needed for L2 (and I'm sure he will upsell you onto his courses!!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, cheers . . . in for a whatsit etc. Toofy Grin and time to invest in some D3O underwear

Quote:
easier
that still gives me a warm liquid feeling in my tummy rather than a warm fuzzy one.

kitenski, I'm in Florida and about to get back in a truck.
snow conditions
Masque, ah!! the French do specific TT training, there were 2 guys on my course going for it, they said most resorts will have TT training, often as a pay and play on set days on the stade courses....
snow report
Masque wrote:
Already talking with Lee.

Hopefully you will book on a snoworks course. I am aleady looking forward to some of your conversations/discussions with Phil Smith NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
I'm sensing some schadenfreude here Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Quote:

I'm sensing some schadenfreude here

given that you are still located up your own @rse, that can hardly come as a surprise, can it?
ski holidays
Snoworks do run training courses for TT Last was November 2012.
But nothing improves turning skills if you are new to racing like plastic, knee angulated carving, agression, the waft of Mr Sheen, the crashes. Go on buy a pair of 155 Elans and join the clan.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy