Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fractured patella, recovery, rehab and splint questions.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, I recently (11 days ago, 18th Jan) broke my patella in two places while skiing.

The tendons were not damaged and the bone is being held together by them so there was no need for surgery to put hardware in. The consultant put me in a splint, told me not to articulate my knee and I have weekly X-rays followed by an appointment with the consultant to monitor the knitting and ensure the bone fragments stay in place. When I explained this injury would impact my competition season the consultant was very helpful and told me with weekly checkups he would get me into rehab ASAP.

This is where the questions start: what kind of timescale and I looking at before I am allowed to start flexing my knee again, I'm really aiming to minimise muscular atrophy as much as possible.

What kind of recovery times have people had with reasonably straightforward, no surgery required, patella fractures?

The splint I am in is rather uncomfortable (a generic Chinese one supplied by the NHS), I have to do it up tight to stop it moving and they causes discomfort and thus I've spent a lot of time lying in bed with the brace off. If I loosen it to sleep, it moves both up and down and around the leg often then resting on my knee cap. Are there any recemondations for better splints to immobilise the knee joint?

Thanks guys, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Will
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
willantirocks,

Difficult not seeing the fracture but
if you needed to be held rigidly you would
have had surgery so prob ok the brace
Is s little loose. Do check at your
appointment thought.

All braces slip down.

Sounds as though you may be able to
move soon ie before you get too stiff.

Ask for guidance on exercises you can do
With the leg in the brave
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does your brace have a rubberised inside on the thigh part,
The brace i used recently did but it's absolutely crap with hairy legs, I ended up shaving mine around the brace area and it worked much better.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Five and a half weeks from when I did it I got the okay to start flexing it and see a physio, the week after got to start exercising it.

Started stretching, got 19% or my ROM back and my hamstrings loosened up nicely.

I've been working in the gym for the last three days doing leg presses, working on hip flexors, adductors and abductors and cardio and it's gradually getting better.

I head out to France again on the 22nd of March and my physio says I'll be ready but for only having about 75% muscle strength in my right quad.

Boom, so stoked!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy