Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

big mate needs skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi snowheads.
Please can you help?

Can anyone advise me on what size / type of ski would be suitable for a friend.

He's a big Scandinavian looking to get back into skiing. 50 yrs old about 6 foot 5, athletic build and a 100 kgs.

I do a lot of skiing, but he's twice my size and struggling to give sound advice on what would be suitable ski length and underfoot dimensions. I would guess all mountain type dimensions with wider waist, but if anyone of similar size could point me in right direction, much appreciated.

Presume he will do mostly piste with the odd foray into the powder just off.

Thanks for any help you can give.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How much does he want to spend? There are any variety of 'all mountain' skis out there that would fit the bill, some of them are better than others.

I suggest you look up one of the 'ski level' tables. Height's not really an indicator as weight means more. Try this:

http://www.snowandrock.com/ski-ski-buying-guide/content/fcp-content

to assist initially, report back then we can chip in with our various biases and opionions Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My similarly sized ski buddy skis anything 175-185 depending on what the hire shop feel inclined to hand over. I'd hire for a while while he gets his skills back and hones his tastes in skis?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that. Looking at the various ski size calculators, a size around 183 is advised. I reckon something around 85 mm underfoot would benefit as he is such a big bloke. Anybody out there of his size who can confirm / advise.

Not hung up over latest and greatest, I ski on older models or second hand and that works for me. I'm often in ski shops / searching web and will be looking for any deals going on, but just wondering what rough dimensions I should be homing in on as I've said I'd help him out.

Thanks again
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If he's trying to get back into skiing it would benefit him to start shorter then go longer - I think 183 is a bit lengthy to start. I think a.j. makes a good point - get him to hire and try out a range of skis at different lengths and styles and see what he feels comfortable on.

TBH, and a bit simplistically, the length is really a function of either speed on piste or spread off piste. If you are chunkier, you go longer/fatter to counteract the drag the extra chunk creates but if you are not wishing to speed up then it's a bit academic. I am sure he could ski 165 and have a blast as long as he didn't mind poling a bit more often on the flat sections. The sidecut again is a function of edge to edge speed which one tneds to sacrifce in an off piste ski as it's less relevant. 85 sounds reasonable since he's going to be on piste more than off but, again, it depends what he wants to do. If he's aggressive edge to edge, then he may want tighter.

Get him to hire a 175 all mountain ski and see how he feels. Depending on the response try longer/fatter skis with different profiles until he finds one he likes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

about 6 foot 5, athletic build and a 100 kgs

maybe a tad overweight build rather than "athletic". wink His knees would probably thank him for losing some weight before getting back into skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RattytheSnowRat, idiot Toofy Grin

azurblue, pay attention to ski stiffness also, makes a big difference to bigger skiers (particularly if heavy - he's unlikely to like very soft skis)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

maybe a tad overweight build rather than "athletic". wink His knees would probably thank him for losing some weight before getting back into skiing.

not overweight, he's just a giant costaud viking. Least that's all anyone would say to his face. More Nikolai Valuev than Buster Douglas Smile . That's why I'm asking for advice, he falls in the far right of the normal bell curve.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, I meet many of the Scandi's that size that are not overweight. 6 foot 5 and 100kg could be a very fit and fast rugby/ice hockey type of build.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RattytheSnowRat, barry - thanks. sound advice.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

erm... I'm 95kg and only 5' 11" and my knees are happy chappies Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy