Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone used "soft roof racks" for transporting skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Toying with the idea of getting a soft roof rack set up for when we hire cars rather than struggling to squeeze skis etc inside the car. I would be interested in hearing from people who have used these and what their opinion is of them. I'm not convinced on the them yet considering I would be driving on motorways in Germany/Austria/ Switz with expensive kit on the roof so I dont want it flying off! The idea is to avoid the rip off charges by the rental car companies! For clarity the skis would be in a bag.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BMG, here you go http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2032388&highlight=roof#2032388
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMG, We use one and it works really well, especially with the skis in a bag which is how we always use it, but to mention one thing from the other thread just add a cloth to clean the roof and the rack as well or the roof may get scratched.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You mean the inflatable ones? I've used them a lot with kayaks (weighs circa 19kg, but often stuffed full of my kit too), upto two on at a time (and paddles), no issue at all. Including in Austria around Innsbruck/Landeck/Oetz area (with one of the chambers punctured), and driving from the UK to Lacanau (SW France) - absolutely fine. Upto 100kg weight with the Handirack ones I think. Only thing to be aware of is if grit builds up underneath them, it can scratch your roof.

Couple of years ago:

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the feedback. I went ahead a bought one today - 18 pounds second hand from ebay. Cant really go wrong I guess. Will make sure the roof and rack is super clean before mounting. May even make a little pad out of an old camping mat to help soften it a bit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BMG, wouldn't bother making a pad. The problem is not the rack scratching the roof, it's grit getting in between them, and then getting rubbed in.

Well, I guess you could ducktape a pad tot he actual roof, so nothing could get under it... not a bad idea actually!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy