Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help planning 30th birthday ski trip NY 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to plan a 30th birthday ski trip for next winter. The catch is that it has to be new year's week, due to a number of the group being teachers. I realise that this will not be a cheap time to go but needs must. Also, I appear to need a miracle to try and juggle the various requirements so I was hoping my fellow snowheads could offer up some ideas.

Basically there will be between 6 and 10 people, mostly couples, all aged around 30. Skiing ability ranges from one weekers needing blue cruisers to fairly high intermediate skiers/boarders wanting bumps and possibly off piste (if the snow gods are kind early season).

Key requirement is price. Yes its new year but must be under 1k all in (including lift pass,food, etc). Open to all options of cheap transport and accommodation.

Skiing - doesn't have to be a large area; small, less well known resorts with cheaper lift passes and shorter queues would suit us perfectly. However, we do need somewhere moderately snow sure.

Resort - doesn't have to be large, all of us are keen skiers and happy to entertain ourselves in the evening with supermarket booze. A bar or two would be nice though.

Accommodation - open to all options from sc to chalets.

Location - having skied lots in France, I was thinking Italy or Austria for a change, but I realise France is often the betterchoice budgetwise.

So, do share any gems that you think will match. I've been looking at various resorts in the Dolomites, Cervinia, Schladming, Soll.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carettam, DIY or package?

If the former, this is good value accommodation, piste side. I am renting all 6 apartments for a family party at Easter. http://www.chalet-bisanne.com/

Flights will be expensive. best chance of coming in on your budget will be to drive, with 4 people in each car
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DIY or package both fine. Ive noticed flights to Venice at about £100 rtn at the moment, a little more to Turin, so Italy a real contender. Thanks for the link, i'll have a look.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
carettam, If you're looking at Italy and there isn't much in it Turin is more convienient. I've spent quite a bit of time in the Aosta valley and have just came back. Pila may be an option for you as it has something for eveyone and as Aosta is a proper town there are more accom options (the gondola takes 15 mins to get up the mountain). The lack of extent is made up by the fact it's quiet although like with everywhere else it will be busier over NY and popular with the locals at weekends and bank holidays. Decent Apres to be had in Aosta too and if you get bored you can ski in places like Courmayeur and La Thullie on your pass too.

Austria in my experience the cheaper places to start out looking are Soll and Mayrhofen.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carettam, might be worth yoou getting in touch with Wayne who runs Folgarida.co.uk (Brenta Dolomites) - they appear to do all-in deals that are under your budget. Great area, would suit your groups needs, drinks and on-mountain prices generally a very pleasant surprise. Italian friendliness is another bonus.

I've been in early Jan and late March - snow cover was total. As good as one could hope for.

Folgarida is not a party town by any stretch - but there is a decent bar in town. The Eta Beta. So lively if you want it.

Accommodation is all hotels - no chalets etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just noticed you have commented on Folgarida on another thread, carettam, so you'll know the area and whether its suitable, I guess.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies. I've had a look at Folgarida, and it is a contender, but any other suggestions also welcome. I've been to Mayrhofen before and enjoyed the skiing but the gondola scrum did get a little annoying.

Does anyone know what the queues might be like for the Aosta/Pila gondola over new year week?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You could try finding self-catering accommodation in Warth. The skiing will tick all of the boxes you have outlined and some more (the gondola to Lech should be up and running for next season) and (based on 3 trips to date, including half-term) queuing does not seem to be an issue due to a largely modern lift system. Warth is about 1.5 hours from Friederichshafen airport (to which Monarch fly). The resort website has a good description of the accommodation available: http://www.warth-schroecken.com/en/. Snow cover should not be an issue: the area normally gets more snow than any other resort in the Alps (according to the Daily Mail a few years back, so it must be true ...).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carettam wrote:
Does anyone know what the queues might be like for the Aosta/Pila gondola over new year week?

As you probably already know NY week is peak everywhere. In my experience in Aosta it very weather dependant with the Italians. The weekenders like sunny weather and long lunches, there might be a queue for the gondola mostly with non-skiers looking at getting up the mountian for lunch. Can't imagine there will be too many quieter resorts than Pila. School groups might be out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy