Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sking at the end of Jan (22nd) or march (11th - 18th) Les Arcs which is better

Poster: A snowHead
Generally, on average, weather permitting etc. wink Is Mid march still ok to go sking or would end of January be better

I see the flaws in the question already, I guess generally speaking is sking in mid march still good? (weather permitiing)

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I reckon mid March is probably the best time in the season to ski the high French resorts like Les Arcs, and late Jan the best time in the season to ski the low Austrian resorts like Soll etc.

Either time would be fine for LA, but if you absolutely hate white-outs, go for March, and if you absolutely hate slush, go for Jan.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paul Chittenden, Mid March will be fine - longer days, warmer sun, nicer bumps. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paul Chittenden, This year I went on 22nd Jan and 2nd April. The non snow cannoned lower slopes were bare in April, but good skiing at altitude and lots of sun. In January we had 5 days snow and were forced to have coffee stops and long lunches, but it was great powder.
Take your pick!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely mid-March, Paul. Much more snow will have accumulated (unless it's a very freak winter), the weather will be better, and the Aiguille Rouge (if you want to ski one of the world's great ski mountains) will be in fine condition!

I've often skied Les Arcs in mid-April and had great conditions down to Arc 1600, so mid-March should be superb.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Paul Chittenden, I would choose whichever suits you best. Skiing should be fine on either date.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paul Chittenden, January, likely to be very cold up high....March, snow could be getting a bit iffy lower down if it's a bad snow season. My vote? Go twice...get the best of both worlds!! Seriously, either will probably be fantastic, pick the week that suits you best and go for it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And if you come out in March, I'll already be there snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our resident snowhead PG at Bourg St Maurice at the bottom of Les Arcs haven't offered his view yet. His daughter Hanhah is in Les Arcs skiing club and should have some inside information.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mid March was slushy and wet for me in Meribel, which apparently is a high-altitude resort (2952m - 1400m).
But second week of Jan last season I stayed in La Plagne (at 3250m - 1250m c.f. Les Arcs at 3226m - 1200m), skied both La Plagne and Les Arcs and they were perfectly good but for a few bare patches on the more popular lower runs into La Plagne, which didn't detract much. I then skied Megeve (a relative "low altitude" resort at 2350m - 850m) the first week of Feb and had the best snow of my life.

Answer - snow conditions at the time dictate where/when's best, but if I were pushed I'd recommend Les Arcs at the end of January rather than mid-March.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also take into account that the slopes may well be busier in March than in January.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah thanks for all this advice,

Quote:

Our resident snowhead PG at Bourg St Maurice at the bottom of Les Arcs haven't offered his view yet. His daughter Hanhah is in Les Arcs skiing club and should have some inside information.

It will be interesting to get his feedback as he is in situ. Everyones' opinion is very appreciated as usuall !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've had terrific snow in Les Arcs at both those times times of year. Not sure what the historical records are, but as David Goldsmith said above, snow accumulation should increase the snow depths, which should be slightly great in March than in January if it is a typical season. Generally the weather should be a bit nicer in March than in January, and the day will be a bit longer (last year, for example, the end of January experienced a bitterly cold spell (-28º C for a few days) which was very unpleasant). March will be slightly busier, but the lift network at Les Arcs is pretty efficient so crowds shouldn't be too bad. I think either time of year will provide great skiing.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 28-10-05 8:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
last year, for example, the end of January experienced a bitterly cold spell (-28º C for a few days) which was very unpleasant

It wasn't exactly warm at the start of March in Les Arcs either - 18C for the first few days of the month ( 'til about 11th I think), although the following week it had risen to +11. Which is quite a swing, and found us all of a tis in deciding what to wear...

And then it got cold again and snowed a lot.

So who the 'ell knows?! Puzzled

(PS we'll be there 21st Jan for 5 days, and then 4 - 18 March. I'll let you know which was better...)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You get whatyou get with the weather. From about the 6th of Jan 05 for about a week the temp during the day was in the positives with wonderful sun. I remember at the Grand Rochette summit (2500m in La Plagne) the temp being +4 with factor 35 going on all over the shop. The runs down to the Vanoise Express through Vallandry were pure slush. JimW, 4-18 March, What a great 2 weeks to go.
snow conditions
JimW,
We shall also be there 4 - 18 March. Here's hoping for great snow, plenty of sunshine and no queues.

Well, I can dream, can't I?! Cool
latest report
Mid-April 2005 down at 900m in Bourg St Maurice below Les Arcs.

Looking up to Arc 1600 April 18th 2005.

January 28th 2005.

So take your pick! March was great as well. Both are quiet, if you time it right at the end of Jan to avoid the start of the French holidays. They were still skiing right back down to Bourg St Maurice in March if I remember correctly.

But I can remember rain at 3500m in Jan one year, so all advice goes with a caveat.
latest report
Cheers chaps, great advice as usual
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy