Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Notwax

Poster: A snowHead
I have done a search and found limited information about Notwax, so I apologise if there has been a discussion previously that I have missed.

What are anyone's thoughts on Notwax? I fancy being able to rub a bit on every couple of days (assuming a hot wax at the start and end of my 3 week ski year) instead of the hassle of hot waxing more often (I would have to buy the gear in other words). So is notwax an acceptable substiute for me or does it have problems which mean i shouldnt use it?

Thanks

Adam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
buns, don't think we've covered this before on snowHeads. Googling on 'notwax' gives loads of hits but they're mostly suppliers flogging it.
Couple of +ve reviews here.....
http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/ski-equipment/ski-tools-and-waxes/Zardoz/PRD_111836_4250crx.aspx#reviews
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks worth a try...where can we buy it in the UK?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rungsp, Bartletts of Hillingdon have it for sure. snowHead Works really well over an existing hot wax.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
buns, I have used it - applied it every day.

On my board I noticed a big difference - especially on the shallow gradients.

Bought mine from Soton dry ski slope.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
buns, Not sure it'll make you hot wax last three weeks... it would depend on the snow conditions and the wax you applied in the first place.

Are you doing 3 weeks in one go ? Usually a hot wax in resort isn't that expensive.

It's worth remebering that a waxed ski is much less likely to be damaged by rocks etc than an unwaxed one
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski, agree with you - it won't make the hot wax last anywhere near 3 weeks.

I normally wax my board before I go on a week's holiday and then use NotWax every day during my stay.
If I was going for any longer I would try to get it waxed in the resort after a week
(I can't be bothered taking my waxing iron on holiday with me).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski,

I have to admit I would have tended towards a wax at the end of each trip (2 trips probably to make the 3 weeks). However, the notwax site does try to imply you dont actually need hotwax and that notwax can be used all on its own on dry bases....

Adam
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buns, Hmmm. My use of Zardoz is mostly on top of an existing hot wax for dry slope racing. Reading thje website they do say that it will replace hot wax - but a lot of the claims about it appear to be about it being easy to apply, rather than better.

I expect you'd need to apply it daily to last. Remember you'll also need to pay attention to the edges of your skis as well.

Let us know how you get on ...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
buns, search on 'Zardoz' both here and on epicski.com, there have been quite a few threads on it.

My experience with it is similar to ski's, it is really to be regarded as an improvement or additive to your hot wax, not a replacement.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Comes into its own in the sticky spring conditions, I find.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used it in April and found it to be great stuff - seemed to really help on the flat sections. I dried my skis at the end of each day and applied zardoz, making sure to do the edges to keep rust at bay. As said above, I would get a wax done mid week as well.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 27-10-05 21:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK..... so does using rub on wax do a better medium term job? Basically I am trying to minimise the need for hot waxing by any way possible!

Adam
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
buns, Zardoz is better than rub on wax - it penetrates much better.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Always being awkward, so.... surely if you use the notwax ontop of hot wax, it cant really penetrate at all?
ski holidays
buns, why are you trying to avoid hot-waxing your skis?
latest report
Kramer, because to get the kit to do it myself is going to cost the better part of £50. That would almost undoubtedly be a 220V setup, so no good on a good chunk of my trips which would be to North America. Given a holiday time of coming 2 weeks, i should do some base treatment along the way, so i would need both my own waxing kit at home AND get waxed in resort. So it doesnt seem to make sense to get my own waxing stuff, especially as i would need to get the edges tuned anyway.

So I would either fancy no hot waxing at all were a replacement possible, or at least minimise the amount (because it will have to be done in resort at however many $ a time).

Adam
latest report
buns, Reading their site, and from (plastic) experience, Zardox is better than rub-on. All waxes (incl Zardoz) need to penetrate the base/wax to be of any use. With rub-on this is achieved by polishing the wax by rubbing, to get some heat, allowing the wax to penetrate.

Zardoz does not need heat to penetrate - so is an easier and more effective treatment.
snow report
Zardoz did seem to help with wax wear, but a hot wax in resort is pretty cheap, really depends on how abrasive the snow is as well regarding how long it lasts.
snow conditions
Scarpa, besides drying skis off after each days skiing, what else can be done to keep ski edges from rusting?
latest report
Hmmm - not sure really. Maybe running a block of that rub on wax down each edge might do the trick.
snow report
Hornster, You should find that you edges will only rust if they get very wet and are then stored in a damp place (e.g. roofbox, ski bag) - provided your store them upright in a ski locker (in resort) they should be fine.

When you store them at home, a) Get them as dry as possible before you pack them. As long as the place you store them is not damp - i.e not the shed or garage, they should be fine. My race skis get soaked every week on the plastic - all I do is store them upright in a dry room, and they're fine.

Zardoz or wax along the edges will help, but (like my motorbike) the best thing is to store them in a dry room.

Hope that helps.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy