Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Only a week to go before our first visit to Mayrhofen Smile Conditions look fantastic on today's webcams. Anyone been there in recent weeks?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, it's all good Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was there frfom the 12 to 19 and it was an epic week ,Lots of powder so both on and off piste was pretty good.The one piece of advice id give is to explore the valley.We founfd the worst of the skiing was on penken but it wasnt terrible or anything just very busy,Also the lifts up and down to penken are not as bad as some make out.Youve definetly got to head to Zell am ziller(best and most varied skiing we found)Kaltenbach and hintertux but only on a clear day.Mayrhofen is a beautifull town with lots of bars and restauraunts.Best apres bar is the brucknstadl followed by harakiri and ice bar.Nice place for a chillout beer after a day on the mountain is the happy end just across from penken lift or moes.You wont go wrong with the hoff ,top place to ski.Enjoy!!Suffering withdrawl symptoms already and looking at Kitzbuhel for jan 2014 but thats 12 months away!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I came back on Wednesday afternoon, there had been a few inches of snow on the previous days and it was a bluebird on Wednesday. Conditions overall were excellent. My advice would be not to rush off to other areas up and down the valley too quickly, wait till you have skied/boarded out all of the linked Penken, Finkenberg, Eggalm, Horeberg areas.

I was at Kaltenbach last Sunday, it was mobbed with and had hordes of beginners.

As for Zell, I would say that its better to go directly to Gerlos for the day as it a boring treck to get there and back from Zell.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flying out next sat too . 2pm from manchester Very Happy

http://www.bergfex.at/mayrhofen/wetter/

looks good for next weekend .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
4 weeks and counting. Looking forward to the trip Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for the advice. Getting really excited now. Tim- we're flying @ 1.30 so could be arriving similar time Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
probably on the same bus then . what T/O are you with . we are with crystal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tim000, We're also with Crystal - flying from Birmingham to Innsbruck . See you on the bus Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It looks like alot of snowheads on the crystal transfer this Saturday. We leave Newcastle on the 14.30 to Innsbruck too!!

Joe
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we`re gonna need a bigger bus Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarletgirl, joe1978, where are you staying . we are in the garni eder .
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tim000, we're (OH & me) in the Villa Strass - Strass Sport Hotel but a bit down the road, next to the Penken. Use of hotel facilities for meals etc Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarletgirl wrote:
tim000, we're (OH & me) in the Villa Strass - Strass Sport Hotel but a bit down the road, next to the Penken. Use of hotel facilities for meals etc Smile

Crash and burn tim000 Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
halfhand, did that sound posher than it meant to Puzzled
ski holidays
Scarletgirl, Nah I was taking the rise out of tim000. I was just trying to make a joke (feeble I know) about tim000, attempting to hook up with you for purposes other than skiing wink and you subtly ensuring that there was no chance by alerting that your better half would be with you.

Not so funny now I've had to explain it - (retires from the thread with tail beetween the legs, sorry to you both Embarassed ).

PS post a trip report as I'm off to Mayrhofen at the end of the month Very Happy
latest report
halfhand, well that did make me laugh Laughing . Sadly such times are long gone - I'm probably old
enough to be his mum - not that that stops me looking forward to meeting all snowheads heading to Mayrhofen tomorrow Very Happy. Will make sure I post a trip reply on my return.
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
brilliant . but barking up the wrong tree halfhand, . as for being old enough to be my mum , i doubt it . im no spring chicken . but happly married . wife didn`t want to come away this year , so lads???? week away. one of my mates is staying in the strass for the week . look out for a small 55 year old eating on his own . his names jonty . he`s just come in to a bit of money so is treating himself. say hello , but dont tell him how you know his name . that will freak him out Laughing Laughing Laughing . or say dont you remember me Shocked Shocked
snow report
More snow forecast tomorrow and so you should all have a good week Happy
snow conditions
Scarletgirl, tim000, Laughing Laughing Have a great trip Toofy Grin
latest report
Back from Mayrhofen yesterday. Good week all round but it is a resort for "early birds". We weren't out until 9.30ish so had queues wherever we went. The Penkenbahn also broke down at 4pm on Wednesday & everyone had to ski to Horberg (where we had just come from!) for the lift down & buses back - took almost 2hrs; then on Friday it was running at half capacity - not good Evil or Very Mad Weather wasn't great & dare I say it , too much snow for me rolling eyes it snowed lots & a few days with poor visibility. Red runs were more challenging than I expected - especially because they were so bumpy & chopped up. Having said that I managed most of them though not elegantly or with much pace !!! The runs on Penken- red 1, 11 & 6, the red 5 to Horberg & red 3 to the 150 Tux were good & we had a great couple of days on the slopes around Rastkogel. Lovely blue 6 to practice on as well as the 3 & red 2. Plenty of places for lunch - Heidi's in Finkenberg, Hilde's in Horberg & Penkenalm in Penken were our favourites. Après ski didn't impress us - too old TBH wink We usually enjoy live bands but apart from Brian Christopher in the Sports Lounge we didn't find anything else. Mo's & Scotland Yard were good pubs ( but plenty of these at home!). We stayed at the Villa Strass which was right next to the Penkenbahn & we had a huge room at the back so nice & quiet with great mountain views. tim000, lots of single men eating alone in the Strass. I was tempted to go up to them one by one asking if they were Jonty but my OH didn't think it was such a good idea Embarassed Hope you had a good time as well. halfhand, Hope you have a great time at the end of the month Smile
ski holidays
Off back to the hoff on 16th march. Can't wait, luvs the place. Snow looks good out there at the min. Fingers xx that it will hold.
ski holidays
Scarletgirl, Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to my trip Very Happy

With regard to the queues how long would you estimate you queued for to get up Penken?
snow conditions
Just booked a week to Mayrhofen for the 16th of March. Very excited!
ski holidays
halfhand, A bit variable but being out by 9.30 - 10, about 30mins in the queue with quite a bit of pushing & shoving!! we tried to avoid it a couple of mornings by catching the bus to Horberg but that didn't really help at that time of morning either - especially when we went straight to the 150Tux queue - didn't get our first proper run that morning till about 11.30 Crying or Very sad The only time we didn't queue at all was on Thursday when there was virtually zero visibility up there - can only imagine that sensible people had a spa day then rolling eyes coming down at about 4pm (apart from when it broke down) took about half an hour. On the Sunday we went up the Ahorhn 1st - about 20mins queue & no queues for the Penken at lunchtime Smile We walked past it on our way to breakfast - about 8.30 & hardly any queues then - we just couldn't drag ourselves out of bed that early Smile
ski holidays
Just heard about the tragic news about a 10year old girl who died this morning following an accident on the slops in Mayrhofen on Sunday. Puts my moans about queuing into perspective. To everyone going skiing - keep safe.
snow conditions
Scarletgirl, So the moral of the story is get out of bed early Laughing . Yes very sad news Sad
ski holidays
Scarletgirl, depthjunkie,
Quote:
A bit variable but being out by 9.30 - 10, about 30mins in the queue with quite a bit of pushing & shoving!!
To avoid queues: why not jump on the train to Kaltenbach (~20mins, free with the Zillertal pass) & ski the Hochfugen area, which also has some of the best o/p in the valley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There really is no need to queue in Mayrhofen. Either get to the Penken before 08:45 or use one of the ofther lifts. You're just wasting your time and the money you spent on your lift pass by standing in a queue for 30 minutes and getting your first run in at 11:30. I guess it's different if you have kids to wash/dress/feed in the morning. If not, no excuse to lay in bed and then complain at the queue!!

Mayrhofen is a really fun resort with something for everyone. The queues are avoidable.
snow report
But it's a holiday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
depthjunkie wrote:
Off back to the hoff on 16th march. Can't wait, luvs the place. Snow looks good out there at the min. Fingers xx that it will hold.

I'm also going on the 16th. Hopefully the snow should be great. Laughing
ski holidays
What side do you guys think would be the best place to bring a complete beginner? I hear the slopes on the Penken may be a bit challenging.... And on that I'm considering recommending they do ski-school for the first couple of mornings and then join up with them later in the afternoon. Save me the time teaching them!Laughing Any recommendations for ski schools?
snow report
djb85, Didn't do ski school ourselves but saw lots of groups on the Penken.theres a couple of blues there 1 of which seemed to be used solely by the schools - the one with a T bar behind the lift. The others On Penken are steepish reds so absolute beginners likely to struggle with initially. There's a blue track that can take you to Horberg & a great blue there to practice on. We spent our 1st morning there on the Ahorn - getting our ski legs back on a few blues. There's also a long blue in Rastkogel - use the 150 Tux to get there (and back!). I'd definitely recommend booking them into ski school for first few days at least. Plenty of cosy huts for well earned refreshments Little Angel Enjoy
snow conditions
djb85, I think the ski schools in Mayrhofen are more set up for a full day (10-12 and 1-3 ) and prefer kids to take full days rather than some taking half a day and dropping behind.
We used SMT the last couple of years and my daughter (now 8 ) loved it (they'll do lunch as well - if you want more ski time to yourself Twisted Evil ).
There's a beginner area to the right of the Penkenbahn they use to start off, and there's a blue track back down from the top of the Kombi lift when they progress. After that's there's plenty of scope for choosing an appropriate route down according to how well they've picked things up.
Ahorn is probably better bet for teaching yourself (but why would you? best to let the pro's do it)
snow report
I was in Mayrhofen the same week as Scarletgirl but the wife and I got an allocated on arrival crystal job and were put in Finkenberg.....Result!!

We are early birds but never saw a que at the Finkenberger Almbahn once and downlift was easy too! It really made up for the quiter town. Plus dead easy to get to Eggalm (heated seats on the lifts!!!!) and the tux was a breeze to get to too.

There was alot of snow and visibility was ropey quite a few times but what a great week. Our transfer pick-up wasn't until 15.00 on the Saturday and you do get a warm smug feeling knowing that you're blagging an extra half day on the mountain instead of trudging back to Innsbruck airport!!

Joe
snow report
Also going on the 16th and can't wait!

djb85 - I recommend Mayrhofen 3000 for ski lessons. And definitely the Ahorn for beginners.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy