Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel - 2013 Race Weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are flying tomorrow morning for a weeks skiing at Kitzbuhel. We are on the 6:45am flight from Luton to Salzburg so I expect we will just miss the Men's Downhill but will be there for the after race party!!! Just wondered if anyone has any tips/suggestions for the day we arrive?

* Do we attempt to pick up ski's from the hire shop (Element 3) on the Saturday afternoon? Will we struggle to get the ski's back to our hotel (Strashofer) through the crowds?

* Which bars and area's in the town should we head to sample the apres race atmosphere?

* What is the quickest way to get on to the Ski Welt? (we are meeting some friends later in the week)

Can't wait!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If anyone knows whether it's ok to drive/train it over and just walk up the side of the course, too, that'd be great? Or do you need tickets?

Getting to the SkiWelt will involve a bus to the bottom of the KiWest gondola in Westendorf, which you then take up to the main Westendorf area, before skiing to whichever part of the SKiWelt you want to meet your friends (I suggest staying Westendorf, skiing is better, and you get the bus back to Kitz from the bottom of the KiWest gondola [really nice piste down btw]) in.

This is the bus you want: http://www.skiwelt.at/asp_service/upload/content/Kitzbhel-Aschau(1).pdf

Ski to the Pengelstein in Kirchberg for the shortest journey (although the Maierlift and Fleckalmbahn aren't too bad), it's a four minute journey to KiWest.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 25-01-13 10:33; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blondends, I'm a bit envious.

Reckon you should get your kit sorted but leave it there til the morning.

Your hotel is right in the centre of the action and there will be outdoor bars everywhere.

Fast way to SkiWelt would be taxi to Going and then ski to wherever you are meeting. Or train to Brixen. Depends where in SkiWelt your pals are.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure on the bars.

Pick up your skis on Saturday, whilst it might be busy it's not far at all from the hire shop to your hotel.

To get over to Skiwelt.... top of Hahnenkamm, Blue 37, lift C1 to top of Steinbergkogel, Blue track down to lift join up with Blue 27 which you can follow all the way down to Skirast. Then get the bus to Ki West lift. Not done it ourselves as we didn't plan need to go over to Skiwelt.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blondends, the whole of the town turns into one massive party. Plenty of cheery locals in red and white will have bee knocking back Stroh from breakfast. There are outdoor bars all through the medieval centre. Many of the big hotels will be booked for society parties. There'll be TV crews wandering around. The Londoner is a fairly obvious pace to head for. Expect bouncers and a scrum if you want to get in. I like the Pavillion, but getting in anywhere wil require good humour ad a bit of patience. May be easier just to fling yourself into the street party!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We went last year and they were selling tickets at the bottom for you to go up beside the course.

Loads of outdoor bars in the old centre - makes for an easy pubcrawl!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, Yeah you can just get a train. It'll be crowded mind you and boozier than normal.

You need a ticket (not pricey, you can pick them up on day) to get into te race area at the bottom, if you go higher up you can find places you can see the course without paying, but you'd miss out on a lot of the atmosphere which rather defeats the purpose.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999,

Best way is to train it in. Last year I got the train from Wörgl parking at the station there. You buy an all in one ticket (about €25 I think). Get off at Hahnekamm station and you're there. 3-4 minute walk and you are behind the finishing stadium. You can then walk up the side of the course. Get there early for a good spot as the safety fences make it difficult to see in certain areas.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blondends, the Strasshofer hotel didn't really have a ski/boot room when we did the same holiday years ago. This may have changed, but I'd still recommend getting a ski locker near a lift if possible.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nozawaonsen, downhillalltheway, thanks!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
blondends wrote:
Hi,

* What is the quickest way to get on to the Ski Welt? (we are meeting some friends later in the week)

Can't wait!!!!!!!!

That depends a lot on where in the SkiWelt your friends will be.

If they are in the Westendorf or Brixen area, then as Clarky999 says, the best way is probably the ski bus to Ki West and ski from there.

If they are in Hopfgarten, there is a direct ski bus from Kitzbuhel to there.

But if they are in the Going/Ellmau/Scheffau/Söll areas, then you and they would each be spending an hour or two skiing before you could meet. In that case, you would be better taking a Postbus, even though you have to pay for it. There is one which runs from the station in Kitzbuhel and passes through all of those places.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all for the responses! I like the idea of getting the ski hire sorted on the Saturday and then just leaving it there till the morning! Will be doing that then.

Clarky999 - enjoy the race, shame that we will miss most if not all of it.

Friends are staying in Ellmau - want to try and ski over to meet them. So by the sounds of it I will recommend to them that we meet in Westendorf.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
blondends wrote:
Friends are staying in Ellmau - want to try and ski over to meet them. So by the sounds of it I will recommend to them that we meet in Westendorf.
I would recommend meeting either at the top of Astberg (Going) or Hartkaiser (Ellmau). Going isn't far from Kitzbuhel and you can either get there by bus or, if there are a few of you, by taxi (8-10 miles)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
speaking from personal experience here, having done kitzbuhel on wc dh day. Its bloody fantastic, if busy in places. If you are up for something a bit brave, get up early on the Sunday and get thee down the Hahnenkamm first thing.

But word of caution only if you can ski a bit and you have edges like razor blades as it will be icy as hell. I think i still have the bruises from my run...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surely you don't want to lose skiing time on Sunday getting your skis? If it were me I'd get in some skiing on the Saturday afternoon.
ski holidays
blondends wrote:
Thanks all for the responses! I like the idea of getting the ski hire sorted on the Saturday and then just leaving it there till the morning! Will be doing that then.

If they are coming from Ellmau and you are coming from Ki-West, Brixen is easier for both to reach than Westendorf, if you want to meet at a base station.

But you would meet them much quicker by taking the post bus and meeting in Ellmau or Going.
ski holidays
Thanks again for all the feedback - just finishing up at work then home to pack. Next worry is the drive to Luton through the possible snow in the UK snowHead
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
blondends wrote:

If they are coming from Ellmau and you are coming from Ki-West, Brixen is easier for both to reach than Westendorf, if you want to meet at a base station.

But you would meet them much quicker by taking the post bus and meeting in Ellmau or Going.
Quote:

shame that we will miss most if not all of it.

Do they still run the slalom on the Sunday? This could give you a good taste of some race day action.
snow conditions
blondends, Sporthotel Reisch opposite the Londoner has an outside bar which gets alot of fans, also it is opposite the TV O/B stand from where skiracers are interviewed or were last year, the immediate area is a throng of race fans. As others have said above there are street bars right across town. Pavillion is very lively, it is away from the centre near the Hahenkamm base station, IMO it is the best apres-ski bar. The slalom starts early on Sunday, go to the finish area (you will have to buy tickets), then walk up the course a bit to see the action you don't need to go far. Best to wear walking boots, leave skiing to later after the 2nd run. Sort your skis out Saturday pm, there is a locker area at the Hahenkamm.
As for the Streif race piste try it, but the Steilhang is sheet ice, remember the downhillers don't turn on it- they go straight down, which is the best method but they have the control!!
Don't miss the slalom race draw on Saturday night, this will be held at the bottom of the slopes between the downhill finish area and the slalom area, or was last year. We had a great time last year, despite the weather, snowy and slushy in town. Enjoy Very Happy
latest report
Breaking...

"10.53 Uhr: Kitzbühel erwartet heute hohen Besuch - Arnold Schwarzenegger ist schon am Weg in die Gamsstadt."

Arnie is on the way...
ski holidays
First man down only just holds it... Almost came to grief twice...
snow conditions
Punchy run from Max Franz takes early lead before Scheiber spins out...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy