Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming WC 2013

Poster: A snowHead
With less than 2 weeks to go until the 2013 World Champs at Schladming (4 Feb to 17 Feb) thought it would be worth starting a dedicated thread. There are occasional snow reports over at the ski amade thread, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92584&start=200

Lots of dosh has been invested in the town, some state, some private, not everyone is convinced it's money well spent in these tough times. The money has gone on new lifts, extended snow making, piste landscaping, new gondola station in town, car parks, new hotels, new apartments, shops and the Skygate, a 130 tonne steel arch reaching over the lower finish slopes. Rumours are that alone cost 2 million euros and it's taken a good 2 years to construct. A couple of weeks ago they finished covering it in 1000's of LEDs. It does look impressive a night when it's flashing away.

There's a fair few articles around about the build up, here's few for starters.

http://www.iol.co.za/travel/world/europe/austrian-ski-town-wants-to-shine-1.1448989#.UQFybCfeSsE

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/skiing/winter-update-world-cup-at-schladming-will-prove-a-boon-to-tourists-8449057.html

Speculating on the high cost (german)
http://derstandard.at/1358304641505/Schladmings-suendteurer-Praesidentenzipfel

Arnie is coming to town
http://www.heute.at/stars/leute/art23692,845362

Hmm, ban on schapps and state set maximum beer prices.
http://austrianindependent.com/news/General_News/2013-01-23/13095/Schnapps_ban_at_Ski_World_Champs_

There's temporary buildings and VIP marquees popping up all around town, mainly in the car parks, plebs not welcome.

The forecast looks okay at the moment, maybe warming up for a couple of days next week before cooling off for early Feb and maybe snow.

I'll be in town for the duration, no tickets yet, waiting for contacts to come up with freebies / cheapies, but failing that probably aim to go to the team event or just watch from the balcony. Anything like the night race and there should be a great atmosphere around town, big screens in high street and many extra drinking establishments. I reckon the slopes will be quiet as most regular tourist will be put off and the spectators will not be around for skiing. Recommend using the golden jet gondola to access Planai during WC.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Costs are definitely huge. I just remember those things with roof above old tribunes, which was used exactly for one week... last years WC finals, and then taken away on summer (cost... about 0.5mio eur). But then again, I was talking with some people during last year's night race, and unnofficial info is, that Schladming area turns around 10mio eur in single night (Night race). I can't imagine overall number for this years WCH if it will be, and most likely it will, in any correlation with Night race. So I don't think any expense is too big, and they will get everything back... several times.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perfect weather being forecast for opening of World Champs in Schladming, with 30-40cms expected by Monday.
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/news/Ski-WM-Perfektes-Wetter-zur-Eroeffnung/93099060
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's hardly called perfect weather for ski racing Wink And from this what I saw on few different weather forecasts, it's going to be this "perfect" for most of WCH. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
primoz, "perfect" I was quoting the article, take your point from a racing point of view, but I'm personally more than happy for some fresh powder and I suspect the resort of Schladming will be happy for fresh snow to be seen on the TV cameras, that's what it's about isn't it? marketing Schladming to a world of potential ski tourist. lots of news here on WCH http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/schi/schladming2013/index.do

I also read the cinema will be showing vintage ski movies and admission will be free Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Absolutely. It's about marketing, and not so much about racing, even though it might not look all that great if races gets canceled (30+cm fresh snow/day might be problem for DH/SG races). But otherwise I totally agree. WCH is done (by organizing city of course) mainly for marketing reasons, and not for racing reasons. With racing you get only expenses and nothing else, but you bring whole lot of people there (also in years after this event), so yes, that's main reason, or at least in my mind, that should be main reason why to even organize something like this. And I think people in Schladming are damn good in doing this Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll admit to some vested interested as I own an apartment in town so I hope it's a successful event. I've an apartment for lifestyle not investment reasons but of course I'd like to know prices stay healthy. Locals I've spoken with all seem happy to be hosting the WCH, though a few worries like pushing up prices for eating and drinking and the closing for 3 weeks of some local schools during the WCH hasn't gone down too well. I don't think Schladming is any more pricey (property, food, drink) than similar ski towns in the Ski Amade area and can't see things changing that much after the WCH. Like you say the town does an excellent job hosting the night race and the World Cup last year -where the weather was somewhat the opposite, warm, unbroken sunshine. I fly back to Austria this Saturday and will be there for the whole WCH, looking forward to it and for some fresh powder.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have no idea about your apartment, but in general prices for rooms for these two weeks went sky high in Schladming/Ramsau region. Last season for WC finals I was staying in Haus (for normal price, which is 30-35eur/day for room with breakfast, at least for us), but when I was searching for room for this year, there was nothing under 70 or 80eur/person. So I'm staying some 20km out, since 100eur/day (for 2 shooters) brings quite a bit difference in profit after 14 days of work Wink But considering everything was full some 4-5 months ago already, I don't think anyone will complain much because of this Championships Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is there a proper time table of events easily found on line? I'll be recording events on eurosport, but the TV schedules don't seem to be differentiating between the training events and the actual competition.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ajpaul, http://www.schladming2013.at/en/sport/program/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
waynos - thanks for that. I refuse to be defeated by eurosport's random scheduling. No doubt I'll still end up with 3 hours worth of handball from Slovenia rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ajpaul, I hear that.

Arrived here yesterday. Town is like a beer fest venue, massive hospitality buildings the size of football pitches on every available bit of land, huge stage outside rathaus and it's snowing heavily. I read there are 500 people ready to work in shifts to keep the race piste and grandstand clear, good luck to them today and more snow forecast for Monday. It's gonna be like the night race for 2 weeks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
waynos wrote:
It's gonna be like the night race for 2 weeks.

Based on weather forecast I'm afraid it will be... but to be honest, I really didn't expect much else anyway, even though I was hoping for repetition of last years finals Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quite a lot of coverage on BBC red button.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/17096122
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tomorrow's Ladies Super G starts 10am UK time. Chemmy bib number 32. Possibly flat light and light snow. Should be interesting.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Was lots of fresh snow today, got very wet lower down this afternoon too. Saw lines of skiers side slipping out the lower race runs this afternoon. Opening starts pretty soon, probably pop down for a beer. Could be more snow later in the week and much cooler temps.
snow conditions
Ladies Super G is due on the BBC red button (freeview 301). However start time keeps being put back and I've got to go back to the office Evil or Very Mad . Time to set the recorder Toofy Grin
ski holidays
its on now, p to the 8th starter, chemmy is starting with bib number 32
snow conditions
eek bad fall....and not for a competitor!!! bit emba Shocked rassing
latest report
indeed, wasnt even moving very fast
snow report
Woah.. .poor Lynds!

She was so aggressive in the top part of the course... looks like the ankle gave way on the landing leading to catching an edge?... bad news though Sad
snow conditions
bad fall now for Lynsey Vonn. Her season's over at the very least
snow report
similar fall to chemmys!! helicopters pilots a bit busy and its first 20!
ski holidays
They're saying her leg is probably broken. Not good.
ski holidays
go chemmy
ski holidays
Girl done good!

For the benefit of Eurosport GB viewers...

The sun hasn't set....
It is snowing at 800m (just)...
The hospital isn't in Salzburg but just over from the pistes in Schladming...
etc.. etc... rolling eyes
snow report
24th. Not bad!
Btw, you can get livestreams of this on www.ard.de, if you don't mind listening to German commentary.
latest report
Steilhang, I live in Radstadt... i could just go and watch it and not have to listen to it at all!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was watching today's race on the BBC website until 13.55, then had to get back to work: I was hoping to catch up on the iPlayer but it looks like they're not making it available for re-viewing.

Rats. Anyone know if this is available anywhere online?

How did Chemmy do??
snow conditions
No broken bones for Lindsey but that's pretty much all what is left of her knee... everything else is gone Sad
latest report
primoz, orf are saying she tore everything and broke her leg. See http://sport.orf.at/skiwm2013/stories/1604298/1604292/
ski holidays
Head Ski's facebook page indicates no breaks

Quote:
News on Lindsey: according to the doctors she has no fractures, no broken bones but has a very complex knee injury. Lindsey has left the hospital. She and her team will now discuss how to proceed and where to undergo surgery... Season is over, but it's not the end of her career. We think of you Lindsey and wish you a speedy recovery!!! Best wishes from the entire HEAD Team!

http://www.facebook.com/headski/posts/10151687926147678
snow report
Steilhang, first info was "only" ligaments, but now it looks like its also bones. Sorry for wrong info Smile
latest report
Bad accident for Vonn and good finish for Chemmy. I'll be setting the red button channel to record whilst I'm out at work during the championhips. Excellent Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Early morning fog on men's race piste has cleared, temps dropped a bit from yesterday, light dusting of snow last night. So hopefully no delays today.

snow report
Forgot to set the recorder (numpty). BBC sport website says the skiing will be on there but no sign of it yet.
latest report
Radstadter Hannes Reichelt... currently 3rd place!!!
latest report
not anymore Sad
snow conditions
Ted looking safe for the win I think..
ski holidays
certainly by now!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy