Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niederau - lift pass question

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All. I'm thinking about Niederau for mid-March. what's best advice for the lift pass?
I guess tour operator provided pass would be the skijuwel - OK, that's probably fine, but are there any options for a day in the skiwelt, or is it best to just get the Allstar pass - and does the allstar pass cover everything that Skijuwel pass does?
Is it worth the extra 35 ? how easy to get to skiwelt from Niederau. how does it compare to getting on the bus for the connection to Alpbach ?
I guess I'm a strong intermediate bordering on advanced - I like exploring, but I'm also trying to do this on a restricted budget Sad
So I might as well ask another question - I have a week in March available - I need to get the cheapest holiday possible and I'm on my own.
Do I book now, or wait - and I can't see any way of DIYing things cheaper than going with a tour operator.
And I'm too old for UCPA before anyone suggests it. Confused

Hamish
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hamish, getting into the SkiWelt involves a short bus ride down to Hopfgarten. Staffler Hotel is British run, they are really well priced and do any duration. They will ski with you too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This question has almost read my mind as I was going to ask whether anyone has tried the new Skijuwel Pass and how well the link works over to InnerAlpbach?

I too am considering a week in Niederau in mid March, due to its comparative cheapness, although I'm going with my girlfriend who is a novice.

My research so far shows that a couple of hotels (Harfenwert + Sonnschien) in Niederau take free buses to Hopgarten (SkiWelt) twice a week, however the lift pass upgrade looks like being an extra 40-50 Euros.

If I was you I would base myself in Soll, where there are also quite a few well priced hotels/ chalets and just do the SkiWelt all week. The lift pass for this is cheaper anyway and there's obviously tonnes more skiing to be done.

I am considering doing this myself but have been there before and want to try somewhere new. I also think Niederau will fit the 2nd time ski requirements of my girlfriend better with the pistes a bit closer to the village.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
EdYarker wrote:
how well the link works over to InnerAlpbach?

Tried the link at Christmas - works really well can ski down 3/4 of the way on new red from Auffach and then new Gondola the rest of the way down and then Gondola up.

Believe that next year they will extend the slope down so you can ski to the bottom.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EdYarker, I was looking at the same hotels you were. I did think about Soll - but it looked like the hotel options were cheaper and better in Niederau - that and Alpbach is that bit higher so was hoping for possibility of better snow - though I'm not too worried about it.
Just had another look - the price has gone up since yesterday! Why does that happen Puzzled
Bode Swiller - thanks for the tip - looks nice, but may be over budget as I've got flight + transfer to consider.
ah well - research continues Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hamish, I'm going to Neiderau on Saturday, staying in the Harfenwirt, and am intending taking advantage of their Hopfgarten bus (which I believe they run on Thursday & Friday).

I looked at prices of passes, assuming two days in the SkiWelt, and also assuming skiing on the afternoon of arrival day.

If I arrive early enough to get three hours or more on Saturday, then a 5 day Ski Juwel pass costs the same as a 4 day plus a 3 hour. And a 5 day Ski Juwel (€172) plus a 2 day SkiWelt (€81), costs just €1 less than a 7 day Allstar pass (€254).

If you aren't going to arrive in time to ski on the Saturday, then there is more difference between a 4 + 2 (€144 + €81 = €225) and a 6 day Allstar (€232). But it is still only 7 Euros more for the allstar, and gives more flexibility.

And yes, the Allstar pass always did cover both Wildschoenau and Alpbachtal, and now covers everything in the Ski Juwel.

With my flight due to land in Salzburg at 09:25, I'm expecting to reach Niederau around midday, and to get 3.5 hours or so skiing, so will buy the 7 day Allstar pass.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the recomendation TallGuy. Having the Alpach valley definitely makes this area a much better proposition.
However, if I was going on my own I would still choose Soll over Neiderau. I agree that the accomodation is generally slightly more expensive/less VFM, but there are still one or two less than £500 for a week HB if you look hard and from what I can see you will make some costs back as the SkiWelt pass and ski hire there is cheaper than in Skijuwel. You then have over 260kms to explore rather than 130. Soll nightlife is good too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
EdYarker, my search mojo has failed me - I can't find anything for Soll for mid March looking at the usual suspects. Can you give me a link ?
not worried about nightlife - but you might be right about the area. I was in Scheffau in Jan 2007 when things got spoiled a bit by rain so I have unfinished business in the skiwelt Wink
Thanks
Hamish
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ooh, none likes rain! I've done Ski Welt twice (1.5 weeks) and still haven't got over to Westendorf yet
I think it's great skiing (if the rain stays off) and as good value as there is in Europe.

Hotel Moedlinger was around the £500 mark last time I looked (I think on Neilson), but these deals do tend to come and go, as you have seen with Niederau.
Next time I'm checking I will keep an eye on Soll and send you over a link if there's anything thet looks good VFM.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hotel Moaedlinger was on for £460 today and there were a couple more under £500. (Landhaus Tyrol was another).
http://www.teletextholidays.co.uk . Just put in the relevant info.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks EdYarker, . Decided not to risk anything and booked Niederau for 2nd week of March as it was just about within budget.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK, fair enough. If we go it will be the week after, so I will tap you up for some tips.

Have a good one.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hamish, Where have you booked? If you want to ski the skiwelt (and I strongly recommend doing so) then you need to get to Hopfgarten. Some of the hotels may run transfers, but you'll probably end up taking a taxi if you want to go on other days. [I drive over so it's not an issue for us.] The bus to Auffach for the skiing there and links over to Alpbach are v.regular and included on your lift pass. For the skiwelt, you will need the AllStar pass - but that can take you all the way to Pass Thun if you have the legs for it - we did that New Year's Day and it was fantastic, and yes the allstar pass covers all the skijuwel area. too. (The SkiWelt pass does not include skijuwel - and not the Kitzbuhl/Thun lifts either.)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The two hotels that run a transfer to Hopfgarten are the Sonnschein and the Harfenwirt. It only runs on Thursday & Friday, and only one bus each direction per day (9:00 from the Sonnschein 9:05 from the Harfenwirt out, 16:40 from Hopfgarten return). It is free.

I used it on the Thursday last week, but didn't bother on the Friday
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobW,alex_heney I'm at the Harfenwirt so I'll probably take advantage of the free bus, I doubt I'll take a taxi unless there's others to share costs . Which kind of takes me back to the original question - I plumped for booking the ski pass with the TO (not sure if that was a good idea or not), so that'll be the Skijuwel pass. I assume they give you option to upgrade to allstar pass - or is there some daily extension you can purchase for skiwelt ? Can't see anything on the websites about upgrading. No great problem if not as there looks to be plenty in Skijuwel to keep me interested, just wondering how it works .
snow conditions
There isnt usually an option to upgrade the pass once purchesed that im aware of.
But Kitzbuhel for example do discounts on different days ie Monday Ladies Day 20% discount on a day pass.
snow report
Hamish, No, once you have the pass, you can't upgrade it.

But although you have pre-booked, the reps may be willing to let you pay the difference and have the Kitzalps Allstar pass instead. They'll easily sell your pass to somebody else.

The daily pass for the SkiWelt is a bit over €40, while the difference between a 6 day Skijuwel and a 6 day Allstar is €35. So even if you only want to go over for one day, it is slightly cheaper to get teh Allstar than to add a days skiing in the SkiWelt when you already have a 6 day SkiJuwel.
snow conditions
EdYarker wrote:
I also think Niederau will fit the 2nd time ski requirements of my girlfriend better with the pistes a bit closer to the village.

We stayed in the sonnshien last year and loved it, The haffenwirt is owned by the same family and I belive it to be as good.

However, the only problem with Niederau, IMHO, is that a novice cannot ski from top to bottom, the red on the map is quite steep and if it is slushy (like it was 2nd week of march last year) can lead the faint of heart to tears

Don't forget, this is only my Opinion.

PS, if I wasn't go to Lanzarote in march we would of tried the Haffenwirt as my nervous wife loves the nursey slopes

PPS, have you thought about getting 3-4 hour tickets.........the place doesn't do a point system. If your lass only likes skiing when she is in the mood, you don't feel like you are throwing away cash Mad Mad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy