Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sore Achilles tendon refuses to heal

Poster: A snowHead
Over two months ago my left Achilles tendon became very tight and sore, it is more pronounced in the morning then the pain gradually subsides throughout the day. The pain is concentrated on the inside of the tendon and is tender to the touch. I have been following the usual RICE procedure, along with Ibuprophen tablets and gel. I have also tried a heel cup to take the pressure of the tendon when walking, but despite all this I've still got pain.

I'm going away in Feb, March and April and I'm worried this will exacerbate the problem. It's an annoying injury because everytime I think it's getting better the pain comes back. I'm a keen cyclist and runner so sitting on my bum doing nothing is really bugging me.

I haven't been to the Dr because it seemed relatively minor but because it's gone on for a while I have made an appointment. In the meantime I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and if so, I'd appreciate any advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
justatheory, oh yes, I have had a sore achilles tendon some years ago. I strained on a long long sponsored walk. It was sore. A week later during a game of squash, it snapped. Completely. Three months in plaster.

Go and see a doctor
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
justatheory, Same!

did mine jogging, my physio had a quick look while getting my knee looked at, probably best to get it checked out, she said mainly rest for 3 weeks then gave me exercises to start doing, one was to walk sideways "down" the stairs "bad leg first" it's supposed to apply a bit of load to the tendon that you gradually release as you go from ball of foot to heel, I was told you should try to avoid too much loading the other way "forcing the tendon to work hard "from heel to ball of foot" i.e. like going "up" the stairs running etc.

You need to try and warm up the tendon before doing anything, moving the foot around in circles gently stretching before you get out of bed etc. the tendon is like blue tack.... warm it up slowly and it will stretch, too fast it will cause damage and aggravate the injury (physios words).

I've bought a foam roller to massage and stretch the calf muscles hamstrings etc. helps to take pressure off the tendon.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forget the doc, go see a good sports physio.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DoubleBombardino,

+1

A better idea than mine
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
justatheory, been in the same boat for a nearly 4 months . . . did something doing fartlek sprints . . . which is probably a dumb thing to be doing but they help maintain my weakening aerobic capacity.
I just couldn't get rid of the soreness . . . sometimes very sharp, so I just stopped putting any fast response strain on it and stuck with warm up stretching and gentle loading . . . 2 weeks on and It's getting more comfortable . . . I'll stay with the same for another 4 weeks and only then start to increase the loading progressively . . . I think I need to be well under 80kg before putting shock loads into it. Sheesh I hate getting old . . . it takes too f'n long for my body to repair itself . . . but roll on discount ski passes Twisted Evil (Ah crap it's 75 in Val T Sad )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys. It's just one thing after another these days, getting old is a b****h! I've got a foam roller for IT band, will start using it more.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
justatheory wrote:
getting old is a b****h

Yep, you just have to keep picking up the bits as they fall off, until you've nothing left to pick them up with!

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gatecrasher, bits stop working long before they fall off Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a sore achilles 9 yrs ago, tried everything, still knacks.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, Sad

Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, everything you've got is "knacks" . . . losing weight is making a BIG difference to my general condition of "knacks" wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, I am happy and nice when I'm fat. I guess the same can be said of you wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Ha! it was just the wine habit . . . and come on, you remember when I was MUCH worse than last night wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I suspect my increasing girth - not that kind unfortunately - is contributing to all these aches and pains. Frosty the Snowman, 9 years!! I was hoping it'd clear up in 9 weeks tops.
snow report
justatheory, achilles tendonitis is a PITA, I've had it in both feet and for me it comes and goes. It's a nightmare to get on top of properly (months). What worked for me was really good physio, ultrasound, manipulation and exercises etc., podiatrist for good orthotics to wear all the time and eventually in desperation I got a night splint. The night splint is really hard to wear overnight but if you can wear it for a few hours each evening it makes a big difference. Someone I know had acupuncture for hers which seemed to work well, I was about to try that when I got relief from using the night splint. Don't worry about going away, in my experience skiing actually helps this problem due to the way the feet are held in the boots Smile
snow report
justatheory,

Agree with sarah .

Majority settle with physio but it can be slow and has a habit of recurring.
Orthotics, injections and v occasionally surgery.

Get it looked at properly by a physio to start or sports physician
ski holidays
sarah, That's what I wanted to hear (bit about it not affecting skiing).
latest report
justatheory, have suffered from achilles & heel problems was told need to do more stretching
every day of hamstring & calf muscle to take strain off achilles & do excercises to increse flexibility as mentioned above.

what happens as you get older everything tightens up & first thing to go is your achilles or maybe calf muscle
as after achilles problem then suffered from calf problems!

Also need to warm up properly before exercise & only do stretching after exercise ,
also lots of stretching during day to make up for all that sitting around getting stiff!
ski holidays
Strained my achilles a few months back, well last September 2012. As you get older it takes everything a little longer to heal. Came back from Ellmau Austria last week. Hadn't skied for 26 years previous to this. No problems with my achilles all holiday, in fact the ski boots made it a lot better. I would cut back on the running and stick to low impact activities like swimming, cycling, aerobics and rowing to maintain fitness. You need to stretch muscles and therefore tendons after you have warmed up. Don't try and stretch cold muscles it will do more harm than good. After skiing for the day take your boots and socks off and put your feet in the snow for 10-15 minutes, this will do your achilles the world of good and stretch muscles at regular intervals throughout the day especially warm up again after lunch.
snow conditions
I had a lot lot of problems with the plantar area in my heel that was all linked up to the achilles area. One thing my physio told me was that these tendons are very slow to physically replace by your body once damaged. A Year to replace totally was quoted. They weren't far off, once I'd managed to stop futher damage - green superfeet in supportive trainers works wonders along with the physio's stretching exercises, I reckon it was the year around before I was more or less pain free - just starting to really notice the difference over the last couple of months. However, in common with the above ski boots seemed positively beneficial to wear and skiing on it was fine.
ski holidays
Megamum, yes, it took hubby's plantar fascitis a long time to go. It included an incident where his foot literally collapsed under him and he was unable to walk the 10 yards across the street unaided. In fact I think he had to break his neck in order for it to disappear completely as he then had no option but to stop doing the things that were causing the damage.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy