Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samöens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

Mrs Chef and I are off to Samöens, self catering, on Friday (junior chefs think we're off to Barcelona... Twisted Evil), only four days - has anyone been, can anyone suggest good places to ski and eat (not planning to cook every night!!)?

Grateful for all help!

On a slightly different note, anyone know if you can get espelette pepper either there or between there and Geneva? Supplies almost exhausted and need more!

Best,

Snowchef
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowchef, I,ll start the ball rolling for you, skiing runs from Tete de Sixt back to Samoen 1600 nice choice of blues and reds, nice green over in Morrillon Sairon, over in Flaine Serpentine, Crystal, Faust, Mephisto, all good , Le Bisac slef serv is good for food in Flaine at lunch, its at the bottom of the run down in to Flaine from Samoens, enjoy and post a report Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowchef, Hello, Chalets des molliets on the les carroz side was good last year. Great skiing to be had all over the GM. Trees in Les carroz very nice. Quick chair chariande express to the top of Tete de Sixt, loads of great runs, spoilt for choice. Over in Flaine up to the Grandes Platierres, plenty of choice up there. Cascades worth doing if conditions suit, very pretty. Bit of poling required though. short bus ride back to Samoens village - bar at the end by the bus stop for a well deserved beer. Have fun! Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Geoffknight, jubnut - thank you so much! Looking forward to it. Mrs Chef at Lion King tonight with Junior Chefs and Granny Chef, I've been lumbered with packing and checking the quality of the vin rouge. So far, so good. Packing can wait...

Any further news on espelette pepper?! Strongly recommend it.

Thx, SC
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowchef, What is espelette pepper and what do you use it for?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a chilli pepper grown exclusively in the basque region of France, hideously expensive in the uk but reasonable in France. Amazing flavour combined with just the right amount of heat. Has its own AOC. Hard to describe really, but think nice long sweet red pepper, roasted to intensify the flavour, with cayenne and a bit of black pepper. Once tried, no substitute! Bought 100g last year and running out!

Try dusting it over pretty much any meat before cooking, I use a dry marinade of a pinch of espelette, oregano, marjoram, smoked paprika, good grinding of black pepper, half a pinch of sage and a good pinch of sea salt (Cornish or Malden are good, Himalayan is best - may sound a bit poncey but trust me, I've done a lot of tastings!). Do that for a chicken breast, pork steak, rump steak, you'll not for far wrong! Btw, that's a pinch per portion. And rub the herbs between your fingers, you'll release more of their essential oils! Or a good pinch in hot pasta with olive oil and lemon juice...

Seek it, buy it, enjoy it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espelette_pepper
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowchef, Never heard of it, but I am off to France next week so will be hunting some of it out. That marinade sounds lush.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oops, should have said to rub in olive oil first, helps the other bits stick to the meat. Salt it just before cooking too. Squeeze of lemon helps. Enjoy!

You might find it in the French equivalent to Special Selection, or failing that a good deli.

Let me know how you get on, always up for a recipe swap!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We stayed at Samoens over Christmas, we know the Grand Massif quite well but the first time skiing out of there and self catered. Lots of restaurants in the village so take your pick. There is a very small densely stocked supermarket and a number of delicatessen type stores selling cheese and sausage etc. On the road out to Taninges, about a mile, there is a larger supermarket, a Carrefour I think. If you get across to Morillon take the Bergin chair up to L'Igloo. Fantastic good value food and service with a lovely terrace. Many on here will recommend it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowchef, a search on google.fr suggests it's not that easy to get hold of - the Carrefour website lists some produces with "piment d'espelette" in them, but not the magic dust itself. Let us know if you find any - it does sound good. I shall look out for it next time I'm shopping.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Luge - halfway down the Dahu at Samoens. Worth booking a table, as it's usually packed, but you can pop in during the morning to do this. Agree L'Igloo at Morillon is tasty - and has a lovely fire to dry your kit off!
Cascades is apparently in good nick right now, but I wouldn't know as I managed to fracture my shoulder on the Dahu on Saturday rolling eyes Still, gives me an excuse to work my way through the in-law's wine cellar...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Basil, thx for the info, Igloo sounds great!

Pam w, found some in an Auchan near Concan last year, tucked away in a corner. If I remember it was about 6 euros for 50g, very good value.

Adamantis, sorry to hear of your damage, enjoy the cellar!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If I remember it was about 6 euros for 50g, very good value.

I'm glad you told me that was good value; I might not have guessed. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowchef, If your only there for 4 days I would suggest that you dont bother with cascades, I did it last year, its OK for the first 1km or so then after that it becomes a blue/green/uphill road down. I would suggest stop about 11.30 for a coffee and cake, then ski the Flaine bowl until 2pm then stop for lunch, the slopes will be very quiet (which is the same everywhere I guess) I have a picture of myself on Mephisto without another sole in sight - bliss to let the skis run with out worrying about other skiers Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In terms of restaurants I personally like Le Monde à l'Envers and Hotel Neige et Roc's restaurant in the Village then La Luge à Téran and L'Igloo (On Morillon side) on the slopes but one of my favourites is the Gîte du Lac de Gers although to access it's not entirely straightforward. Le Tremplin at Samoens 1600 is unpretentious but very good value.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy