Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it possible to hire skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In Manchester or anywhere between here and Yads Moss?

Want to take the sprogs skiing this weekend (5/7) but no idea where to get some kit.

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look on the Yad Moss website - there is a link to a local hire outlet but I think it's worth phoning them first. Number is on the website.

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/equipment-hire
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TheGeneralist, will the kids be ok on the tow? It was ok when I was there a few years ago but I am sure I have read that they dont want people falling off it as it causes them problems and some people find it difficult. Might be completly wrong though but would hate it to ruin your trip. Good luck.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I once hired skis from a place up there. Come off the M6, and head towards Alston over Hartside summit. When you get to Alston, you turn right up a big cobbled street towards Yad Moss. Keep following this road and after about 3/4 miles on your right is an outdoor activity centre. They hire skis and boots but its first come first served, so get there early!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glide and Slide in Otley?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
TheGeneralist,

Sunshine81, has a good point. The kids will need to be used to quite a "harsh" start on the draglift, although I believe the start ramp has been smoothed as much as possible this year. Great experience though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personal viewpoint from a non-engineer: the tow is serviceable but elderly. As the tow picks up your weight, the telescopic bar extends and is spring loaded and takes up your weight so that you take off smoothly. As the tow gets older (Yad Moss) the springs get worn. This means that the telescopic bar extends without the spring providing as much resistance as it should, and when it suddenly takes up your weight, it does so with a jerk.
This is more pronounced if you are heavier. If you are lighter, the spring still works to some degree. So although it sets of with a jerk, it is less bad (not actually good) for lighter weight people such as children.

I have no engineering background. This is based on personal observations of myself and my children.
It is still a harsh set off though
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rivington Alpine hire skis. They're just off the M61 near The Reebok Stadium.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the excellent info.
Agreed about the lift being an issue, just saw that on the website.
The kids both did Pomas from an early age without too much issue, but not knackered old springless fast ones with a huge queue of impatient* powder hungry people standing round projecting disquiet**.

* Understandably impatient, I thoroughly agree with them.

** understandably concerned, nobody wants people falling off an knackering the lift.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TheGeneralist, Ventura Ski in Haydock (Near St. Helens between M6 and A580) do http://www.venturaski.co.uk/index.php/equipment-hire. I've never hired kit from them but whenever I've been in for a browse or to have skis serviced they've been very friendly and helpful.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TheGeneralist, Another World in Halifax have snow skiing and kit for hire as well should you wish to make 2 English snow trips Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy