Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why no Avatars?

Poster: A snowHead
No biggy but why can't I see anyone's avatar? Do I need to become a super-mega-astro-nuclear-whopper-burger-snowhead first or does it just not work?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 22-01-13 20:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SiPieFace, Nope never has been and I think the 'community' discussed this 5 or 6 yaers ago and decuded it's not for them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why? Where's the harm?....always thought they're a bit of fun and liven up bland forum layouts.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SiPieFace, It's just for clarity . . . most of the forums that allow avatars are confusing at best and let's face it, the environment here may be a little 'vanila' but the content is mostly class . . .

Though when the final trump sounds, my contribution will be judged as "mostly crap" rolling eyes C'est la vie.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque wrote:
SiPieFacethe environment here may be a little 'vanilla' but the content is mostly class . . .

Don't disagree at all, this place is superb, great bunch. Just thought a little less plain would be a good thing. Maybe I'm just so last year......wouldn't be the first time!

ps....more emoticons also wouldn't go amiss, like a thumbs-up and a hand-smacks-head (my most used).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SiPieFace,

One of the values of this place is where we like and admire the skills of the posters . . . be it tech, or ski, or language, or whatever they are willing to share and there are so MANY sharing people here who offer their time, expertise and just their honest good will in the support of the community . . .

s**t! I knew that winning a bottle of Bourbon would make me maudlin' rolling eyes

But what is often required is that we make an effort to work some things out for themselves
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing wrote:
SiPieFace, Nope never has been and I think the 'community' discussed this 5 or 6 yaers ago and decuded it's not for them.

That was when broadband wasn't the norm, I see no reason now why avatars should be allowed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, admin still pays for bandwidth use.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thought the facility was there, but wasn't used (ie no avatars display in forum, but you see it only when viewing a profile). Doesn't work at all though. Seems to be set to 80x80 with a max image size of 6kb, which is no real use anyway.

Gravatar can be handy. Offloads avatar handling for multiple site on to external site.

Personally, I tend to turn them off on most forums, where possible, and sometimes even do the same with sigs.

edit: I'd have put this thread in the "Suggestions/Requests" sub-forum.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's just better without them. snowHead

One of the rare forums that is quite easy to view on a tablet/phone/netbook too, which would be harder with avatars- and potentially more expensive Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
calgary365 wrote:

Personally I like them, they add character to flat forum pages (casting no aspersions here btw) and also give you an idea of the personality of the people you're conversing with.

calgary365 wrote:
One of the rare forums that is quite easy to view on a tablet/phone/netbook too, which would be harder with avatars- and potentially more expensive Shocked

Not if you're on wifi. Even on 3G the extra data req'd for 80x80 avaters is microscopic so I wouldn't have thought it would even register on a data plan.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
Spyderman, admin still pays for bandwidth use.

Could this then not be added to the 'extra features' you get if you support SH and become a super-mega-lightning-snowhead? (TM) I'd pay for it if it was part of the package.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SiPieFace, If you can't figure out my personality then
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With that expression, I thought there was going to be a follow through there
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy, it can be arranged Twisted Evil
latest report
SiPieFace, because those animated smileys are stupid enough
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
SiPieFace, because those animated smileys are stupid enough

And there was me thinking they helped in putting your point across...........did I spend too long in the 80's?
snow report
some of us remember darky

(think it was her that used animated smiley to excess, and beyond)
snow conditions
andy, nice norks though . . Shocked
snow report
SiPieFace, yes, how on earth anyone got their point across before animated smileys were invented is a mystery.
snow conditions
SiPieFace wrote:
And there was me thinking they helped in putting your point across........

Should have added that that's for those of us who have a limited vocabulary and grasp of the language.
snow conditions
calgary365 wrote:

agreed
latest report
no avatars is the last thing that I am missing here...I can't even work out how to post a new Topic! is there a secret trick to this?
latest report
Lilledonmarco, Go to the section you want to place topic in "piste" or whatever, near top left, there is a tinsy little oval shaped button, cleverly disguised in white!
ski holidays
When sH started, Admin evolved this cut down, cleaned up version of the then current phpBB mainly to make the conversations flow easily with few distractions between posts. For example, no sub-title line for your own post.
(Bandwidth or the lack of it was a also problem in those days.)

Nearly 9 years later, (sH birthday coming up next month) I understand we are to a certain extent stuck with some of the things settled on then.
Admin and the hamsters have tried to keep up with smart phones and tabs and stuff but those of us of a certain age are quite happily stuck with this plain-vanilla PC style. Oi'll give it foive. wink
snow report
gatecrasher, do you need to be a "snowHead" to see this? As its not appearing on my side in Chrome..
ski holidays
Lilledonmarco, On the LH side of the screen in IE there is the snowy picture, for this thread it says The piste underneath, then under that the moderator, then under that is the little oval - New Post. You have to be back in The Piste main menu where you see all the threads in The Piste listed to do that.
snow report
Or at the bottom of this thread on the LH side is a brown new topic box (but this may only be for paid up folks)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lilledonmarco, no don't think so, but you need to first click on a section from the main index ie "snowsports"but don't go into a topic or it disappears.
ski holidays
You only have to be registered to make new topics. By either method. No payment required. (Payment gets you other privileges like switching off ads, and stuff...)
ski holidays
Megamum, Laughing I never looked down there!
snow report
gatecrasher, and the Post Reply button down there gives you a better way to post than Quick Reply if you want fancy formatting, links, images, etc.
snow conditions
understood...but, it would make it much easier if there was a nice, impossible to miss "Post New Topic" button at the top of a page...
ski holidays
Dubaian, Thanks Toofy Grin look out world...... Toofy Grin
latest report
I think one of the best things about Snowheads is the lack of Avatars. On other forums they take up so much space that the actual content that you're here to read becomes very spread out, and much harder to read and follow. They also lead to a sort of Avatar weapons race where they become ever more elaborate and distracting. I think they can reveal the personality of a poster though - often negatively! /rant Very Happy
ski holidays
Totally agree with Jumpin Jack - some forums are so littered with avatars, animated "timeline" sigs, animated smiles etc, that it often difficult to find the actual text
snow report
I like it this way. It is a lot cleaner and neater than most forums.

The other forum I mainly post on has no size on signature images and there are some massive ones, that really get in the way of the conversation.
ski holidays
The main reasoning is covered pretty fully by Dubaian, Jumpin Jack and oleksii.
IMO Avatars and big flashy sigs distract from the conversation - it's like chatting to someone who follows every statement with, "DUDE HAVE U SEEN MY COOL SHREDS? MY HOODY'S GOT LIKE FLASHIN LIGHTS AN SHIT".

When we began, I altered the standard format to shift focus toward the conversation (ie. the main point of the forum) and away from the personalities, which tend to show through before long anyway. Another, fairly well known website began that very same month but did the exact opposite - and look where it got them rolling eyes After all, when U consider how many ski-days Zuckerburg got last Winter, we're clearly the more successful operation.

btw. There is a plan to improve the personal profiles but it's not a small job as U need to give people some control over what info they share with whom.
snow report
Masque wrote:
SiPieFace, If you can't figure out my personality then

People never use Avatars that are anything like them self, please notice how tall Masqueis in the one he used for fun. Toofy Grin
latest report
admin wrote:
The main reasoning is covered pretty fully by Dubaian, Jumpin Jack and oleksii.
IMO Avatars and big flashy sigs distract from the conversation - it's like chatting to someone who follows every statement with, "DUDE HAVE U SEEN MY COOL SHREDS? MY HOODY'S GOT LIKE FLASHIN LIGHTS AN SHIT".

OK, totally get that some people (but not all) don't like them, although I'm sure plenty do. So my question is why not then provide the ability to either turn on/off the visibility of avatars in threads. If they hurt your eyes simply tick the radio button in your profile.

admin wrote:
Another, fairly well known website began that very same month but did the exact opposite - and look where it got them rolling eyes

From what I've seen the success of SH is more down to the clientele over here and their level of knowledge, banter and respect rather than the ability add your own avatar, but I could be wrong.

To be clear though I'm not pushing for them like I need a avatar-fix, I'd just prefer to have some level of control if it's available as I don't like other people making my decisions.

Off topic, how to do see someones profile to view their posts etc? Any other forum I've been on you simply click their name (on the left where the avatars go wink) and it takes you straight to their public profile. Here, if you do this you quote their name in bold at the start of a new reply. You also don't seem to be able to search the members list. The only way I've found to find someone is to use the search facility. Is this right?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy