Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites in April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
We are a family of 4 planning to go somewhere skiing this Easter.
Having gone to the 3 Valleys, Flaine and Tignes (all in Easter), we are thinking of going somewhere other than France; probably Italy as it is also very cheap.

Since we like to "eat a lot of piste," snowHead we were thinking of going to the Dolomiti Superski. However, my only concern is of the snow conditions since te resorts close a week afterwards... Has anyone been at Easter? How much snow is there? Is it reliable? If so what resort? Puzzled

Or is Cervinia a better option (although it is quite similar to Tignes; looking for variety!)

Thanks and sorry for all the questions..
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you would be better off in Cervinia...

Having been to both several times, I wouldn't got to the Dolomites after the 2nd week in March - low down it gests slushy, higher up it is soft

Cervinia is pretty much like Tignes - plenty of height (can suffer from high winds) but it has its connection to Zermatt...

My choice for the past few years has been Dolomites - early Feb : Cervinia late March/April
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Without sounding like a scratched record (not a dig at you Snowisawesome), we said to our instructor at Christmas that we might be back at Easter. His reply was "I hope you like walking". Not sure how accurate that is, but it tells me that if there is snow there probably isn't a huge amount.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowisawesome, I went to San Cassiano c. March 17-24th last year, I've rebooked for 17-24 this year and am very confident that they'll be plenty of snow around (on the pistes at least) and most of the links will be open. They are very good at snow management in the dolomites. Given that easter 2013 is the 31st March then I can't imagine too many issues. I probably wouldn't say the same for Easter 2014

Here are some shots from late March 2012 - click on the thumbnails to see larger size

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the posts! If anyone else has any videos or pictures taken in the Dolomites in April, please post them! Smile
I guess the best option is to wait and see...
When it does get slushy, is it the pistes below 2000m that are usually affected? When we went to Tignes, some pistes at 2500m became slushy even though it was freeeeezing, so we thought that we might as well try some villages lower down.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Found this on youtube from last Easter, and the season was pretty dire, but pistes look fine

http://youtube.com/v/-954Lqt7jJc

The video has nothing to do with me rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably until last days of March and the first days of April most of the resort in Dolomites are OK for snow...
i have been many times in Dolomites from 15 to 30 March and always the conditions were OK.
Sometimes the slopes to go to villages were a bit slushy but only those....
but of piste ? hm...i am not sure....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For what its worth I went in the last week of March in 2008 and had a great time. The lower slopes and resorts were a bit soft and slushy in the afternoon but the weather was great and I had a brilliant time. The snow on Marmolada was excellent but the steep blacks in Arabba which are north facing were understandably icy. I got a magnificiant tan, in fact my friend had to buy a banadana to cover his face to avoid panda eyes. I just took the hit and wore them with pride Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Again, thanks for all the replies. Would Arraba be the best resort for snow and convenience? Also, is there a specific time when flight prices go up a lot (time to book before then)?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also, is there a historical webcam for the Dolomites? (where you can see all webcam photos like on the tignes website to check out snow conditions)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowisawesome, Arabba has the best access to the highest (and also north-facing) territory, so I would say yes. (Caveat: I've not actually been anywhere in the Dolomites except in January!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having looked at some historical piste snow depths I'd say you will probably be OK for snow depth in Arabba for the first week in April - though the snow will most likely be slushy much of the time. By the second week it will be distinctly dodgy. Last year was unusual in that they didn't have much all season but got a big fall just before the resort was closed. In fact when I went walking there in mid may there was still snow high up.
Depends if you mind slushy snow really. Might not be OK on the steeper off piste since much of the off piste is quite rocky, but the pistes are mostly on meadows so don't need much snow.
Cervinia has the glacier to keep it cool but I don't think it is such a nice area.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowball, where did you find historical snow depths?

Also, is the snow depth this year deemed above average? Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, bertie bassett,

Looking to book in this area next season. Where do you recommend in San Cassiano?
Sheila
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowisawesome,

somewhere like this ??

http://www.igluski.com/italy/arabba-snow-history_25615

regarding current conditions - I think they are above average Smile -- ive been before with 20cm lower and 70 upper !! (currently 55/145 for selva)
ski holidays
Because most of the pistes are pastures, they don't need lots of snow, and the guys who work them are all sheriffs....

They keep the piste.... I'm here all week! Laughing
ski holidays
Sheila Ann wrote:
bertie bassett, bertie bassett,

Looking to book in this area next season. Where do you recommend in San Cassiano?
Sheila

HI Sheila

Only stayed here once - http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn

+ve
Awesome location, 50 yds uphill from the main bubble
Choice of blue or easy red back (but not that easy, late in the day in late season - as big piles of mashed potatoe)
Bar on Site
Ski Hire on Site
Transfers arranged to/from VCE or INN
Next door to a bar/nightclub (but not really noisy)

-ve
Bit 'tatty round the edges' - used for summer camps
Food quite resonable, and decent proportions, but not anything hugelly to write home about
Not quite enough comfortable seats for all the guests
Non en-suite rooms can be a bit of a walk, in the pjs at midnight

there's a bunch of other places listed here - http://www.alta-badia.org/en/hotel/s-cassiano/ my one tip would be to make sure they run shuttle too/from the lifts, as could be a pain walking in ski boots.
snow report
Bartezki wrote:
Because most of the pistes are pastures, they don't need lots of snow, and the guys who work them are all sheriffs....

They keep the piste.... I'm here all week! Laughing

Luv it Smile Smile
ski holidays
Thanks for snow history, still not quite sure.

Any hotel reccomendations? Looking to book perhaps in Arabba. Any cheap, good value hotels found near pistes (preferably ski2door)? Would DIY or package be better?
latest report
The hotel Evaldo is a lovely place to stay in Arraba its a bit of a walk to the lifts but its hotel bus is super and ends up being a lot quicker than if you had been nearer the lifts.

I have also been to the sella Ronda twice in late March both times have been hot but the snow has been good one year I booked the day before we went and choose the area a over cervina because the snow in the dolomites was much better.
ski holidays
Snowisawesome wrote:
Snowball, where did you find historical snow depths?

Also, is the snow depth this year deemed above average? Puzzled

Ski Club of Great Britain website. I think the Historical depths are only accessible to members, though. If you tell me precisely what you want to know I can look up for you (perhaps with somewhere else for comparison?). I can give you average depths on upper and low slopes for any week, or depths on any year back to 1994.

Average for 4th week in January in Arabba is 155cm on upper pistes and 56cm on low pistes. At present 172cm and 78cm, so better than average.

Cervinia snow depths do not dip down nearly so rapidly in April and are still high at the end of April (in Arabba there is a quite rapid plunge but varies a bit as to when in different years).
latest report
OK, I looked again and you should be OK: Here are the figures for snow depth in cm on piste during first and second weeks in April for the last 10 years (second week in Brackets) In each case upper slopes followed by low slopes.

Average: 133 (105), 44 (35).
2012: 80 (88 ), 28 (28 ).
2011: 131 (111) , 55 (48 ).
2010: 181 (52), 111 (35).
2009: 260 (260), 105 (105).
2008: 120 (closed), 40 (closed).
2007: 140 (140), 55 (55).
2006: 70 (70), 40 (40)
2005: 90 (30), 20 (6)
2004: 268 (280), 56 (60)
2003: 110 (111), 10 (11)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 28-01-13 22:37; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Snowisawesome,

in Arabba the Portovescovo is good (the snowheads bash is based there) and i consider it ski in/out (100 yds to piste). Sport Hotel has had good reports
snow report
Vintageryan wrote:
The hotel Evaldo is a lovely place to stay in Arraba its a bit of a walk to the lifts but its hotel bus is super and ends up being a lot quicker than if you had been nearer the lifts.

Seconded.
ski holidays
Thanks,

I've checked out the prices and Evaldo seems a bit too expensive... Sad

For Arabba, if I was to book an appartment say, are there delicatessens? Or local producies?

Thanks Snowball, reallly appreciate your help! Laughing If you could, is there a graph to compare all the years? Or could you list the first week of April records like you did for Arabba, for Selva Gardena? Sorry for all these questions. rolling eyes
latest report
I remember a couple of small supermarkets not sure about bakiers and what not. Its a surprisingly small place only a handful of restaurants and not that many bars.

Shame the evaldo is coming up expansive we went on a last minute deal it come to around £450 each people I know stayed in the chalet Karen above Peters bar said it was good and the music didn't bother them or you could try hotel am forte which is well out of town but has a good reputation and always seems a good price.
latest report
Snowisawesome, Vintageryan, I'm pretty sure there's a bakery.
latest report
Snowisawesome, looks like you'd be better off in Arabba. Figures for Selva Gardena:

Average: 99 (72), 23 (12)
2012: 70 (50), 30 (10)
2011: 121 (38 ), 24 (6)
2010: 120 (40), 36 (10)
2009: 150 (90), 84 (45)
2008: 64 (closed), 15 (closed)
2007: 85 (85), 55 (55)
2006: 80 (70), 20 (10)
2005: 40 (13), 20 (6)
2004: 125 (120), 26 (25)
2003: 122 (130), 11 (10)

There is a separate graph for each year (and average for all years) in each resort : see HERE. (Not sure if you can access this through the SCGB website as a non member, but possibly you might on this URL)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 30-01-13 16:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball,

Thanks for the link -- worked for me !!
ski holidays
Snowisawesome, if it's any use we stayed in a catered chalet in Arabba about a minute walk then tiny ski to the Burz lift. Same distance ski/walk back too (if there's enough snow just cut across from the black run and aim for a bend in the road just above the chalet). Called Brigitta offered by Inghams.
snow conditions
The Dolomites have some of the best and most extensive snow-making facilities in Europe. The whole of the Sella-Ronda is covered. So don't worry that there will not be snow and don't worry about snow records. It is a bit weird when you are skiing and there are hikers on the green pastures just a short distance away but you'll never forget it!

A year with an early Easter is a good year to go. You will want to go back in summer. The Sella Ronda is unique and stunning. The food fantastic. The skiing is very good for families and those that want to cover ground. For most families great snow is a bonus IMO. Cervinia is snow-sure but lacks charm in comparison and most of the area below the trees will likely be inaccessible by then making the skiiable area smaller. You can, of course go over to Zermatt if you can afford it doubling the area.

You would have a good time in either.
snow conditions
Thanks everone!

Snowball, the link didn't seem to work but thanks anyway.

When do you think is the best time to book? i.e. when will flight and hotels be cheapest?
ski holidays
Can you see the limestone "jagged" peaks from Arabba. I really want to catch the Dolomites in sunset so was wondering if Corvara would be better suited in that it does feel like it's in the dolomites?
snow conditions
Try Colletts - have a number of catered chalets in Corvara and Pedraces, all you have to do is to book your own flight - they pick up from Innsbruck for a small surcharge and from Verona (and I think also maybe Treviso) for nothing. I have not used them (yet) but all who have give glowing reports and lots go back again. Arabba to me has always been a bit icy and the slopes are steep - but then I like cruising blues and reds. Corvara, Selva, La Villa suit me fine but I personally wouldn't go after mid-March for snow conditions already cited.
ski holidays
I thought the mountain views from Arabba were pretty spectacular Snowisawesome.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy