Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bizarre breathing problem

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had a bizarre thing happen to me today. The weather was abysmal but I thought I'd have a quick morning ski so I popped up to the local by myself. Due to the freezing conditions for the first time ever I donned a standard Polyester neck warmer and whilst going up on the chair I raised it to cover my mouth and nose. About 30 seconds later I started coughing and lowered it. Things then got bad and in the next two minutes my breathing became so restricted I nearly blacked out. I could do nothing but try to keep calm so if I did collapse into unconsciousness at least I would stay on the chair where the lift operator would hopefully see a body on the chair and take action. It is a very slow lift and after a few minutes I regained some semblance of normal respiratory function and was able to unload normally.
I still feel very ordinary with very restricted breathing and it was very unsettling episode. Has anybody heard of, or experienced anything similar?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not a medical person but it sounds very similar to the severe allergic reaction I once had to a field of oil seed rape but I have no idea if polyester or perhaps something that had been applied to the neck warmer might have that effect
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if its been washed could be soap residue?

if its new it could be some lubricant applied during the manufacturing process
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing applied to neck warmer. It is not new either. I can't see how it could be something intrinsic to the fabric though. I might get it sent off to the lab for analysis
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Juddernaut,

You can develop allergies over time or wash products can change forumations

It could be temp induced asthma?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Juddernaut, Have you ever had asthma? I believe it's possible for cold air to trigger such an attack, see this
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
Juddernaut, Have you ever had asthma? I believe it's possible for cold air to trigger such an attack, see this

I was wondering that. I had bad asthma about forty years ago as a kid but have been generally fit as a fiddle since. I never ever go to the doctor but I am going to make an exception in this case and get checked out especially after reading how many people die from asthma.
When I was a kid I used to get a wheeze during an asthma attack but this time I didn't get a wheeze. Just read that; "Experts call this the ‘silent chest’ and it is a danger sign of a severe asthma attack" javascript:emoticon('Shocked')
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Juddernaut, sounds like maybe something either temp or perhaps a washing byproduct could have triggered the asthma Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
... it's also possible for hot air to induce such an attack. I once drank a flaming cocktail, and had a similar reaction (though with wheezing). No more firey drinks for me.

Alternative - I had a horrible chest infection a few years back. For a few weeks after it, I'd still cough now and then, which could bring on a bronchospasm. These were terrifying, as I just couldn't breath, suddenly. But also went away if I stayed calm and kept trying controlled breaths.

(Oh, and I'm not asthmatic - just these are reactions that can happen anyway.)

Either way - something interfering with breathing = reason for a doctor. Dying limits the amount of skiing you can do.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Juddernaut, do you get hay fever? This is linked to asthma and this can be linked and brought on by changes in diet. I'd suggest a trip to the docs, he/ she may prescribe you with a blue inhaler, will likely never use I but if needed its there. I once had a wheezing but since I gave up drinking beer I discovered it must have been a wheat allergy, never been back since I gave it up. It was just a case of elimination, but suggest something must have triggered it, more likely something you ate differently (salmon, grapefruit etc) for breakfast. Ironically my mild asthma was much improved a altitude and I never used to suffer with the clean alpine air but as soon as I got home t UK it came back.......probably full of beer, I wheat at the time also! Now I've lost a lot of weight it's gone totally, could this also be an issue, pressure on the organs is a factor......don't want to sound rude, just telling it as I found it!!

Best to get to the docs, better than croaking on the lift..... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or.....Maybe you need a new Merino buff?!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never use your buff to wipe up the coke dust.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe has nothing to do with the buff. I might have another sniff for 10secs and see what happens. Might want to keep an insulin syringe handy.
ps I am not a doctor and do not accept any liability resulting from the above.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Never use your buff to wipe up the coke dust.

Ya mun's got sum mojo dat dunt need no nees to smile . . . Rasta mun Madeye-Smiley

You can take the man out of Yorkshire but can't take the Yorkshire out of the Caribbean . . . Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Maybe has nothing to do with the buff. I might have another sniff for 10secs and see what happens. Might want to keep an insulin syringe handy.

ps I am not a doctor and do not accept any liability resulting from the above.

Wonder how the test went? And I do hope that it was an adrenaline (epipen), not insulin syringe that you had handy?? wink

Just to reassure you, you almost certainly didn't have 'silent chest', but most likely a transient bronchospasm either to mould spores in the neck warmer, or as suggested, chemicals from washing.

Hope you're better now.

tb
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy