Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Speed Skier Dead in Algeria Crisis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/algeria/9816000/Algeria-crisis-hostage-alive-until-the-end-was-British-speed-skier.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
very sad, no matter who the people involved were. But it was a bit naive of a family friend to suggest that "nobody could have foreseen" anything like that happen.

I was struck by the oddity of Cameron condemning the attack as "cowardly". It was lots of nasty things, but nobody who takes on the Algerian security forces with the very high likelihood of ending up dead can sensibly be described as a "coward". Such profound lack of understanding of what drives those people doesn't get us much further forward.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, I think it's just a turn of phrase common in such circumstances. Clearly there is a premium attached to the wages/salaries for such jobs and besides separation from "home" and difficult working conditions some of it much attach to risk of working in remote locations.

Obviously doesn't mean anyone deserved what happened nor that BP/Statoil etc could protect against all conceivable risks although I'm sure questions will be asked, particularly if some of the kidnappers were site employees or other insiders.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I think it's just a turn of phrase common in such circumstances.

indeed, and perfectly reasonable when describing some young thug who has assaulted an old lady. But neither accurate nor helful in trying to understand religious fanatics.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, 'cowardly' certainly doesn't convey the whole picture, but perhaps killing defenceless hostages can be called cowardly even when done by people who may otherwise be courageous.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
very sad, no matter who the people involved were. But it was a bit naive of a family friend to suggest that "nobody could have foreseen" anything like that happen.

I was struck by the oddity of Cameron condemning the attack as "cowardly". It was lots of nasty things, but nobody who takes on the Algerian security forces with the very high likelihood of ending up dead can sensibly be described as a "coward". Such profound lack of understanding of what drives those people doesn't get us much further forward.

Executing innocent, unarmed civilians is the act of a coward ergo the killers were cowards. It's that simple.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy