Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BD Zealots - anyone got or skiied them?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following on from another post...

I need new skis, my liberty helix simply don't cut it anymore. Have surfed, read, watched and soaked up info regarding a replacement and am pretty much sold on some BD Zealots, wondering if any SH have got them or have skiied them?

Figure I'll be after a pair at 182 that I'll mount up with STH 12s. Interested if anyone has skiied the 192s as I'm not sure on leaping from the 176 helix (too short to start with - but they were v cheap in a sale - they have been fine up to now, I just need something more robust, stiffer and fatter that I can charge all day on - the Zealots fit this bill) But the 192 seems like a leap too far that come tight and tricky trees, big bumps and the inevitable moguls at the end of the day on the way home they will be less manoeuvrable and less fun than the 182s, which should I assume ski just as well if not better everywhere apart from the hard charging off piste in fresh powder? BD helpfully recommend the 192 for my weight (+80 kg)

Given the early rise rocker and tail, the 192s should theoretically ski at least 30cm shorter....

Also considering a mount at +1 to +1.5 on the 182s?

Any views? Or words from the wise? Much Obliged.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are the bomb!!! probably the best ski i have ever owned! (at least the most fun)

I am about 80kg and have the 182 and for trees, bumps, slush, deep powder they are amazing and will also keep you alive on the hard stuff. They do have a speed limit unlike their parents so if you are planning on hard charging back country do go for the 192, but if you want something nimble but still powerful enough for the tracked out days the 182 will be more than enough...

I mounted on the recommended point with Barons and it's certainly still nimble enough !!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dulcamara,

Awesome, thanks mate - that's me pretty sold, still a bit of an umm and ahhh over the 192s though, my thought being at 6'1 and circa 85kg it's over the recommended weight by BD and as this isn't a perfect world I won't be smashing big lines in fresh powder every day... more of a lift served off piste, powder where I can find it, trees and the chopped up runs under lifts and by the pistes as well as long wide and fast GS turns on the piste... the 192 makes sense but seems like a huge leap in length for the few occasions when Ullr has been kind to us, the head says 182 but the heart and soul says 192 - what to do what to do...

Of equal importance - are you still running/ owning http://www.zillertalholiday.com/ ? As I'm in the process of organising a holiday for 6+ around Christmas/New year in Mayrhofen and am looking for an apartment/ SC chalet .... Smile

Cheers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
matricks, FWIW I made a jump from 176 to 190 for 'everyday offpiste' skis a couple of years ago (I intended them to be pow skis, but ended up using them much more than expected). I'm 5 foot 9 and 74kg, no problem at all (rocker makes a big difference) - I actually found the bigger skis more nimble in short turns, it's only in the tightest of mogul fields where I want them shorter ( but I have other skis for that - the 185's I replaced the 176's with). I think length makes more difference to stability than it does to ease of turning, as long as you're a decent skier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999,

Cheers, I was thinking that with the rocker and tail over 30 cm that they would ski shorter and ergo the 182s even shorter.... I have feeling that on this it's going to boil down to which ones are on sale when I buy them!

It's only an extra 7cm front and rear or so, suppose I should just man up and get on with it!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
matricks, they'll ski shorter on hard snow anyway - in soft/3D snow obviously the whole length will engage, but when the snow's like that you can usually open it up a bit and make the most of the extra length, yet the rocker also makes them easier to pivot sideways if you need to shut things down quickly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999,

Cheers, it's the hard packed moguls that I'm more concerned about and as you point out (and likely tipped the balance) they'll ski shorter Wink and I suppose if push comes to it I can just find a line along the side that's not mogulled. Hardback pistes are less of an issue but are part of the reasons the 176 helix are being retired, they just don't cut it anymore when pushed hard all over the mountain. A great fun ski for playing about on but flawed when I need them to step up the pace when conditions aren't perfect.

Thanks for your input, now to start adjusting my 'quiver'
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah it's a fair statement that the 182 Zealots are pretty horrible on hardpack, sure the 192s will be better but probably not by much.

I guess it depends what you are willing to put up with between the fun runs, though that may just be me! I instantly lose respect for testers who state that "this powder ski, skis like a gs ski on piste" no, no it doesn't and neither does the zealot, but it holds an edge, ploughs through crud and can turn on a 5 pence in the powder, which is whi i like it!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have the old version in 182 and they are an absolute beast, so much fun in powder but not much fun on piste. If you're tempted by the old version you can have them for £100 ski only, only used for a handful of days
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dulcamara wrote:
I instantly lose respect for testers who state that "this powder ski, skis like a gs ski on piste" no, no it doesn't

+1, big skis are manageable, often even fun onpiste, but they for sure don't feel like piste skis! Not always necessarily worse, just different.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rambotion,

Dammit, thats an arm twisting offer right there - thanks, but ill wait out for the sales on this seasons. Appreciate the offer though.

clarky999, dulcamara,

Fair comments, for me the real fun is had away from the pistes - the traverse out, the ski down, stopping, looking back up at the line, taking a breather and shaking out the quads before pushing off again is what its all about. Pistes are a neccesity - all i need the Zealots to do is hold an edge when im getting from A-B, be tight and stable when im skiing with the family and be skiiable down a mogul run on the way home. From what i understand they'll ski how i want them to on piste and absolutley rail and nail it everywhere else Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy