Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Did I hallucinate a post on ski-boot covers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm certain I saw a post a while back on the neoprene (?) covers some people can get for ski boots - for insulation - and making your own?

But now, whatever I put into the search, I can't find it. Am I going mad? (Relative to my original mental health point.)

I want that thread for:
a) a friend's boots are letting in snow/wet when they didn't previous, and she can't afford to replace this season

b) I might test too. Last trip to Chamonix was bitter, and toes REALLY suffered (turns out I can have boots tight enough to feel good skiing, or loose enough to have circulation, but not both ... but also snow gets in my boots if I go off piste.).

The answer might be 'new boots' to both a) and b) - but that's next season's treat unless I can persuade all my friends to club together for my b-day.

So uh - anyone posted on that thread and want to own up, so I can look through your posts to find it? Or did it not exist?

And on part b) how tight should boots feel? Some movement? None?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OliviaDB, It was a Monium project http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1896509

although the pictures seem to have disappeared
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Claude B wrote:
OliviaDB, It was a Monium project http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1896509

although the pictures seem to have disappeared

You are a genius! (thank you)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have used these the past few trips http://www.alpenheat.com/bootcover.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
muppet wrote:
I have used these the past few trips http://www.alpenheat.com/bootcover.html

Do they make a (big) difference?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Saw someone wearing what looked like proper designed neoprene toe covers when on the PSB. Not a sH afaik (although maybe there was also a sH wearing them)
Also remember seeing a thread somewhere recently, but maybe it was somewhere else (or maybe age is affecting brain cells).
Letting in snow sounds like something is wrong. Even mine don't do that, and the seal bit between the 2 flaps that cover the foot has gone a bit funny (about to trim it slightly with a stanley knife). Think wet is mostly perspiration.

Don't these toe covers impede the action of the toe binding?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OliviaDB, apologies for the disappearing photos. Unfortunately the site seems to be down that we had put them onto, so not quite as easy to follow as before.

Basically you can make them very easily - I had a problem last week in Tignes with getting cold toes, largely I think because of water getting in somewhere on my boots. So I dug out a couple of sheets of neoprene, and within an hour had another pair of boot warmers sewn together with some old ribbon.

They do make a dramatic difference. I wore them the next day, and despite the liner still being a bit damp my feet weren't cold at any stage. In fact I ended up with a cold heel, strangely, while my toes were perfectly fine.

You can buy them from a range of places for about £20 now - not sure if they are copies of the original Monium Engineering invention or something - if you don't have an old wetsuit kicking around this might be an easy option.

I would strongly recommend these to anyone who gets a bit cold later in the day, or when it is seriously cold out. They took my boots from being frozen (literally ice on the outside) to warm enough to ski all day without a hint of cold. And that was with some 2mm neoprene I had lying around. Mrs M has 7mm neoprene covers and doesn't wear them most of the time because her feet would get too hot.

They don't interfere with clips on the boots or bindings.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Monium wrote:
OliviaDB, apologies for the disappearing photos. Unfortunately the site seems to be down that we had put them onto, so not quite as easy to follow as before.

Basically you can make them very easily - I had a problem last week in Tignes with getting cold toes, largely I think because of water getting in somewhere on my boots. So I dug out a couple of sheets of neoprene, and within an hour had another pair of boot warmers sewn together with some old ribbon.

They do make a dramatic difference. I wore them the next day, and despite the liner still being a bit damp my feet weren't cold at any stage. In fact I ended up with a cold heel, strangely, while my toes were perfectly fine.

You can buy them from a range of places for about £20 now - not sure if they are copies of the original Monium Engineering invention or something - if you don't have an old wetsuit kicking around this might be an easy option.

I would strongly recommend these to anyone who gets a bit cold later in the day, or when it is seriously cold out. They took my boots from being frozen (literally ice on the outside) to warm enough to ski all day without a hint of cold. And that was with some 2mm neoprene I had lying around. Mrs M has 7mm neoprene covers and doesn't wear them most of the time because her feet would get too hot.

They don't interfere with clips on the boots or bindings.

Awesome. Happy

Don't think I'll cut up my wetsuit just yet. Will clearly just have to invest.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy wrote:
Saw someone wearing what looked like proper designed neoprene toe covers when on the PSB. Not a sH afaik (although maybe there was also a sH wearing them)
Also remember seeing a thread somewhere recently, but maybe it was somewhere else (or maybe age is affecting brain cells).
Letting in snow sounds like something is wrong. Even mine don't do that, and the seal bit between the 2 flaps that cover the foot has gone a bit funny (about to trim it slightly with a stanley knife). Think wet is mostly perspiration.

Don't these toe covers impede the action of the toe binding?

Once closed, surely you wouldn't need to change the toe binding?

Hmm and double hmm.

More to think on.

Thanks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OliviaDB, even if you do need to adjust the toe binding (not very common) you just clip out, take the cover off, tighten up, put cover back on, clip back in. Putting the cover on and off is like putting on a pair of slippers. Takes seconds. Worth it for warm feet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium wrote:
OliviaDB, even if you do need to adjust the toe binding (not very common) you just clip out, take the cover off, tighten up, put cover back on, clip back in. Putting the cover on and off is like putting on a pair of slippers. Takes seconds. Worth it for warm feet.

Ahha- I've realised he might be talking about the foot bindings, rather than the boot clips. Hmm.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure what other people were talking about, but I thought the neoprene bit might not fit with the forward ski binding (I'm sure it can be made to work), or it looked like there was a strap under the boot (?), but I couldn't see if that might not fit with the friction plate (again, I'm sure that's fine).

Looks like a simple solution, that seems to work.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OliviaDB, this is probably the recent thread you're thinking of http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2153420&highlight=kosy#2153420
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find no problem with the front binding, I just fold the front few cm of the boot cover back and it doesn't inter fear with the toe portion of the boot and ski binding.

They do help keep my toes warmer and I haven't noticed any dampness between the shell and liner in the boot. I do take them off my boots at lunchtime and let them defrost/drip dry and again in the evening I take them to the room/apartment so they are completely dry for the next day.

I was on the PSB so could well have been the person spotted wearing them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy