Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Ski Thief in St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
The Facts:-

On Monday the 14th of January, one of the guests staying in the hotel I was staying in had his rental skis stolen at lunchtime from the Krazy Kangaroo. This was our first day’s skiing of the week.

The victim of this theft had “split” his skis with someone else’s in his ski group as a security measure. Therefore it is inconceivable that someone would have picked up the wrong skis by mistake. This theft caused inconvenience to the whole group and the victim had to pay the ski hire shop €250 for the stolen skis.

Late on Friday the 18th of January the victim of this theft saw the stolen skis being carried by someone on the bus. The theft victim and his friend confronted the person, who is British, with the stolen skis. The theft victim was carrying the details, including the serial number and bar code details of the stolen skis which matched those being carried by this British thief. The victim of this theft was simply relieved to retrieve the stolen skis and get the €250 he had paid the rental shop and did not take the thief to the police.

Conclusion:-

I am not going to get into any discussion on this matter I have simply briefly described the events that occurred.

There are unfortunately a very small minority of nasty, dishonest, inconsiderate people in our society.

How would you feel if you were a victim of theft?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pissed that they hadn't gone to the police. Why not FFS?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29,

The victim didn't want anymore hassle.

I'm not sure I'd have the courage to confront the thieving b*****d on the bus. If someone is willing to thieve who knows what else they are capable of..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was once falsely arrested and then given a good kicking by the Guardia Civil in Majorca. I was kept for about 5 hrs. I wqas fuming and went to the rep about how to take it further. He said I could take it further and waste most of my holiday or just forget it and have a good time. I chose the latter and had an awesome time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I'm not sure I'd have the courage to confront the thieving b*****d on the bus.

I would - plenty of backup. But possibly not in a dark alley.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
welshflyer, I'd have taken a picture of their face with my phone, and passed it on to the police. There's not that many people in resort, and I'd suspect this is someone who will do it again. Trying to restrain someone is incredibly difficult if they are determined to get away and know the consequences of being held, but usually familiar faces are fairly easily found in such a small community. Disappointing that this happened, but at least he got the skis back, and there are always one or two bad apples.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A strange post indeed? You say you're not getting into a debate but then ask us how we would feel? You're absolutely right about a significant section of society but whats the point of the story? The thief probably did the same thing again the next day and now knows to remove or obscure the serial number and bar code. If your man had the courage to confront why not take him to the Polizei and stop him doing it again?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is very easy to be brave on an internet forum, personally I think your friend did the right thing in not further confronting the thief, although a surreptitiously taken photo would be a bonus.

I would be gutted if someone stole my skis, so a good result in getting them back.

Two suggestions though;

Invest in a ski lock, whilst they will not prevent a determined thieve they will stop/delay the opportunist.

Get insurance next time you hire skis?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've said it before, I'd do time for my skis. I wouldn't hesitate, or ask questions, I'd simply kick the living christ out of the thief, right there on the bus, in front of women and children, then probably p!ss on the corpse, as a warning to others. If the police ever caught up with me I'd simply top myself.

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
But the victim did confront the thief Puzzled and got the skis back.
How did the thief respond to being confronted?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Unless you get the insurance direct from the hire shop it still means you have to fork out the face price of the skis and then keep your fingers crossed that your insurance company will pay it... and also make sure you have visited the police, been interviewed for a statement and been issued a crime reference.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

Unless you get the insurance direct from the hire shop it still means you have to fork out the face price of the skis and then keep your fingers crossed that your insurance company will pay it... and also make sure you have visited the police, been interviewed for a statement and been issued a crime reference.

simple, get it from the hire shop.

why people scrimp on such minor costs amazes me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

How did the thief respond to being confronted?

Gratitude for a week's free skiing and no further hassle/cost to get them home?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Honestly I doubt the police would give a flying 'duck' about a ski theft; last one I tried to declare they just laughed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albinomountainbadger, not true in St Anton, they take it very seriously. A German friend recently had boots and skis stolen from within Alber sport ski depot ( on separate occasions) and the Poice were very active, without info they are only working on hearsay, with a photo they can make an example of someone.
snow conditions
Markymark29, fair play to them, on the other hand their cousins in Val d'Isère behaved like children.
snow conditions
welshflyer wrote:
How would you feel if you were a victim of theft?

Obviously very angry but the old adage "don't get mad get even" always enters my head. Easy to say sitting here, but I think I would not have confronted the individual right there and then, tempting though it is. Firstly, I would have snapped a few mug shots and group shot from a safe distance with the phone and then, if possible, follow him back to his chalet/hotel - always good to be able to say "I know where you live". Then advise hire shop - after all, it's their property that has been nicked and they should have the chance to involve the cops (probably his cousin/brother/uncle/mate anyway). I know from previous experience that the Austrian cops will take it very seriously and the individual would get a heap of trouble - once in Zell am See there was a bit of naughtiness going on in our hotel, a fire extinguisher let off in a room and an umbrella stand "fell off" a balcony onto a parked car. The two guys concerned were marched off to a specially convened court hearing the very next morning and very heavily fined... they were a bit quiet for the rest of the week Laughing
ski holidays
airbornebadger wrote:
It is very easy to be brave on an internet forum, personally I think your friend did the right thing in not further confronting the thief, although a surreptitiously taken photo would be a bonus.

He DID confront them, not going to the police is pretty lazy actually, and means the thief will probably do it again.
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger wrote:
Honestly I doubt the police would give a flying 'duck' about a ski theft; last one I tried to declare they just laughed.

Wen I had some skis stolen in St Anton the Polizei were very helpful - no getting them back, but all the paper work to claim on insurance with no fuss.
snow report
clarky999, agreed

I found a wallet in the summer when in St Anton, money in it (and no I didn't finger any!), straight to the police (behind the Spar supermarket) and they were really good, and got it back to the person, a local in Flirsch. They are real people, not telephone jockeys in call centres filling in forms.
ski holidays
I was in the St Anton cop shop yesterday and it was very easy, if someone is too lazy to report the crime or the culprit then why should I care?
latest report
Bode Swiller, In Bad Gastein two lads wrestling late at night smashed a door in and the Polizei came and marched down to the station and seized their passports until the hotelier was satisified that all damages were paid for...and rightfully so.

welshflyer, What the thief say on the bus???.."It was a mistake??" and to be honest if that person had his skis back he then could never prove they were stolen in the first place so the Po-Po couldn't have done anything anyway.
snow report
Nadenoodlee, They let you out though wink
snow conditions
What can I say Claude B, ? The people love me Wink
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, either that or they were happy to get rid? Toofy Grin

Its all very easy to preach what we would have done. Im not going to judge someone for not going to the police when they should be enjoying themselves on holiday and had already suffered more than enough inconvenience and hassle. The person in the wrong here is the tw@t that nicked the skis. Now welshflyer has given us a heads up on this, and we have all considered how we would react, hopefully the thieving tw@t will soon be caught again and the police are involved.

welshflyer, glad your mate got the skis back

Quote:

yes, it's only about a £1 a day
snow report
I think the lesson from this is to record the serial number etc on rental ski's so that you have something to take to the police and insurance. Probably a photo or two on a mobile phone would do and great that the thieving b****** wasn't able to claim that they were his with the evidence to hand.
snow report
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

Then advise hire shop - after all, it's their property that has been nicked and they should have the chance to involve the cops (probably his cousin/brother/uncle/mate anyway).

But after he'd shelled out the €250 to the hire shop then, technically, the skis were his property, so I doubt the hire shop would've cared less. I'm quite surprised they bought them back for the €250 tbh!

As someone else said, a ski lock will deter the opportunist tea-leaf.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

Quote:

yes, it's only about a £1 a day

€2/day the last time I was offered that. For an insurance that you don't get to read the T+C for, and an insurance that duplicates what you probably already have with the Travel Insurance with wintersports add-on.

Would have also taken pics. Just to scare them some more. If they want to attempt to lay a finger on me then they're going to visit the Polizei for a damn sight more than petty theft.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy, far less hassle dealing with the ski shop than my normal insurers though
ski holidays
welshflyer, They really should have dragged the SOB to the nearest lift and called the police.
snow report
Masque wrote:
welshflyer, They really should have dragged the SOB to the nearest lift and called the police.

He was on a bus though.

THE simple answer to this would be to have used the supervised ski check that they have at the KK.

I'm quite surprised that the usual disproportionate levels of violence haven't been trolled out on this thread. Of course, if I had been there...
latest report
I am amazed you would recognise your rental skis.
latest report
blahblahblah wrote:
I am amazed you would recognise your rental skis.

you wouldn't, and you certainly wouldn't have a receipt with the bar code on, it's a b/s thread
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
airbornebadger wrote:

He DID confront them, not going to the police is pretty lazy actually, and means the thief will probably do it again.

Hence why I used the word 'further', I agree with your point about going to the police, that is why I mentioned taking a photo.

Getting into a fight over a pair of €250 skis (in a foreign country) is simply not worth it. As hypothetically let say you win the fight (in public on a bus), you batter the bloke. As a minimum you will then spend several hours in a police station explaining yourself. Anyone know how you say 'self defense', and 'minimum necessary force' in French? Technically someone nicking your skis is not legal justification for malleting them.

Flip the coin.

You loose the fight, it is not just your ego that takes a pounding you could get quite seriously hurt.
snow report
airbornebadger, that is why sneaky is best. Get the pics, follow him/them to their accommodation. Give details to cops. Simples.
snow conditions
Im sorry to say this story sounds a bit made up to me ??? A thief gets caught & says with hands up I stole them & then just gives the skis back & no one does anything ???? Also rental skis have insurance.

Ski theft used to be a big problem in St Anton but over the years a lot has improved & it is less so. Most so called stolen skis are simply taken by mistaken identity.

Rental skis are no good to a Professional Gangs.

If this really is a true story, you should of asked the bus driver to call the Police on his radio (SOS) . He would of stopped the bus & lock the doors unitl they arrived.

Was the person on the bus male or female & how old?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 21-01-13 17:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stanton, I agree there is something not quite right about this story. But then it does start:
Quote:

The Facts:-
latest report
Agree - it's all a bit weird. A half thinking thief stashes his stash and doesn't swan around town with them the rest of the week. Are we saying this is a distinctive and desirable say demo pair which were too much for the tea leaf to resist having a go with or bog standard rental fodder? Or was it sheer co-incidence you got on the bus when he was travelling to meet his fence?
snow report
Very odd thread. I'm inclined to think along the lines Standee, is.
snow report
Quote:

The theft victim was carrying the details, including the serial number and bar code details of the stolen skis which matched those being carried by this British thief.

That's the bit I don't get. 5 days later and still carrying the hire shop paperwork?!?

Also, why the emphasis on the thief being British?

How peculiar.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy