Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dublin/Wicklow Mountains Winter 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Just finished two days of investigation of the new snow. Snowline somewhere around maybe 300 metres. Yesterday was on Three Rock Mountain (just above Dublin's southern suburbs). Decent amount of snow and powdery, maybe 50cm, more higher up. Hiked up the fire road, and skied back down as poor vis.

Today was a bigger day, parked car at Killakee car park at start of Military Road, and walked up road past forest in direction of Glencree. Had touring kit (intentionally bought for days like today). Haven't put the skins on before so enthusiastic about the whole experience. Made rapid progress up the first hill and because of the snow depth and lack of steepness slowly skied back down to the road, snow was powdery about 50cm.

After crossing the road decided to tackle Kippure (750m), this would take some time as there is a half an hour bog road walk followed by a moderate climb 45mins, however these times are based on walking not skinning. The snow was deep (1 metre + in places) so progress was slow, eventually summited after about 2 hours at about 2:30pm. Cold up top with East wind blowing and my fingers were getting numb so didn't hang around long although got some panorama shoots of the main peaks around. A little flat the light but ski down good fun. Got back to Military Road about 4pm with light fading. Was too tired to walk back to car so luckily got a lift with a 4 wheel drive back to my car, many 'tourists' that shouldn't have been up there in their ill equipped vehicles slipping and sliding along Military Road. hungry and tired by the time I got home, just in time for Ski Sunday!

The kit

First Tracks Kippure

Looking towards Sugar Loaf Mountain, Bray and the Irish Sea

Kippure summit

The view south

View towards Djouce

Lots of drifting

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 22-01-13 10:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow - looks like Russia !!

Oh - luv the fancy bases ........
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albob, It has a fancy base that ski but that's the skin you're seeing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Ross, nice one!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some more snow this morning even down in the city but melted fast at low altitude, but a top up for the mountains. The top of my calf is quite sore today after all that touring!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Ross, lovely to hear a report from home Very Happy Sounds like it was worth it!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Inspired by watch the FWT in Courmayeur this morning I might try this line tomorrow, Luggala, only problem looking at my map is I'd have to cross a river to get over there but I need something steeper to make the touring up worth it.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Ross, fantastic post Peter. In Dublin myself but no skis, so will have to live vicariously through your pics. Great to see the routes I walk covered with snow.
Off to Zermatt soon so not overly miserable Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
5RED, I've a few pairs of skis for sale, might suit you http://www.adverts.ie/ski-board/volkl-karma-185cm-freestyle-freeride-skis-and-bindings/1107588 or maybe these http://www.adverts.ie/ski-board/twin-tip-skis/167680

Was up in Wicklow today for a ski trip, Went to Ballinastoe Wood and hiked over to Lough Tay, stayed on the forest tracks and also skied down the road at Lough Tay. Snow a little softer as warmer than the last day I was out (Sunday). See photos below

Sugar Loaf

Where I parked, the lower car park as I heard the upper car parks would be hard to reach.

Road at car park, there was a bit of a thaw today so road improving

House in the snow and Vartry Reservoir

Forest Trail

Luggala and Lough Tay

The road to the Sally Gap, best on skis

Another view of Lough Tay

Lunch break

A go anywhere Landrover
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good work !

Are those Coreupt Pows ? How do they ski ? I've a pair I need to christen.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Érinn go brách!

(nice Landy too)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndAnotherThing.., Yes they ski great, have done 8 days in St Anton on them and 3 in Ireland! Obviously best in the soft stuff but can handle the pistes well with pretty good edge hold. I mounted them at the recommended mounting point which is quite forward, I'd love to experiment and see what a little further back felt like.

barry, not my Landy but would be a great vehicle to get you to the snow
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Ross, Good news. I'm off to the Alps shortly so I'll take them if the forecast looks promising.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Images from Monday, a little snow, gone at this altitude now but it looked really good

Three Rock

Two Rock and the view of Dublin Bay

The Wicklow Way
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kippure tour yesterday afternoon

Snow in very good condition, no thawing at all, good cover everywhere. Higher up icy but layer of snow covering this in gullies. At summit wind scoured ice sheet on wind facing sides.

gullies completely filled with wind packed powder, great snow

icy in places up higher

no shortage of snow in the gullies

Just back to car before dark

not the only one having some fun
snow report
Peter Ross, snowHead snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy