Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Protein Shakes & Energy Bars

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm hoping to get some feedback from some of you.

I'm a 44 year old, advanced intermediate skier. I'm quite fit and also a Type 2 diabetic who has reasonable control over his blood sugars.

After a gym or mountain bike session I take 2 scoops of natural whey protein with no additives + H2O. I was thinking of doing the same after skiing to help repair my thigh and leg muscles and I find it helps to stave off my insatiable appetite after any sport. Preferring the healthier options over cakes and biscuits. I thought it may also be an idea to add a couple of scoops to my porridge in the morning.

Does anyone else use Whey Protein before and after skiing. It's not necessary to be a diabetic.

Also, I'm off to Val D'Isere for two weeks next Sunday and although I tend to eat well at lunchtime when skiing (spaghetti bolognese is my norm), I'd like to take some slow release energy foods/bars with me to keep me going if required. Are there any diabetics out there that do this, if so what do you eat. I was thinking of flapjacks or fig rolls as some of the commercial energy bars and bars of chocolate are just too sweet for me.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beer . . . wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
An interesting one, and hope I can add something (vaguely!) useful....!

I use bars and powders when working really hard (Bikes or skis) and they seem to work. For me, at least. Could be a placebo, who knows.

FWIW, the best I have come across so far are as follows;
Bars;
http://www.mulebar.com/fuel/bars.html - UK made, by some great people, with a great attitude to what they do. And, more importantly, they taste brilliant! Apple Strudel is the pick for me. Mule use lots of real, natural ingredients, and are largely organic. I would imagine that their stuff would be excellent for diabetics, as I'd hope that the "healthier" option of proper ingredients is better than a choccie bar, or chemical infused energy bar. Top tip, if eating on the go, keep in your inside pocket, as a frozen energy bar is awful.

Recovery;
http://www.maxishop.com/maxifuel/recovery/protrient - nice mix of whey protein and again, tastes good. Also, FWIW, this appears to be the perfect pre-booze preparation to avoid hangovers. Don't ask me how I know, but I do. It works. Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Carlos the Slackal the lowest sugar content on any Mule Bars is 35% where Soreen Malt Loaf is under 20%. I fear the Mule Bar may be too high in sugar for me. I'll need to make some comparisons with other brands.

Nice to know that the whey protein is good for hangovers!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 20-01-13 20:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, wasn't sure of the percentages! I believe Mule are lower than most, as they're not pumped full of simple sugars. More about the mix of natural sugars and then slower breakdown from nuts/oats etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cyberil, I am not diabetic, but was always on the lookout for cereal bars which were plain, lowish calorie, not too sweet and free from E numbers. This is my favourite (I've tried a few others from the Nature Valley range, but I prefer this one) and I've now stopped looking at the rows and rows of other sticky concoctions!:
http://www.ocado.com/product/39197011?name=Nature_Valley_Maple_Syrup_Granola_Bars_&source=PLA&gclid=CJzDt-bN97QCFYLHtAodj3oA_A
However, even this is 25% sugar, so may not be what you're looking for.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paul,

I am a type 1 diabetic and like yourself rather active with a good blood sugar control (last HbA1C = 6.8 ). I find that skiing does not affect my blood sugars any where near as much as more standard exercise (rugby, gym, spinning, cycling) however, I do still need to fuel up when skiing and for the past couple of years I have been taking CNP professional pro flapjacks with me on holiday. They taste pretty decent and contain almost a 2:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein (with a low amount of the carbs coming from sugar). They do the job for me and I tend to stock up on them from Discount Supplements (free postage) when they get discounted to about 60-65p per bar (about £15 for a box of 24). I have only tried the chocolate orange, so I can't comment on any of the other flavours.

Here's the link:
Discount Supplements

Also, as if by magic, SportPursuit have them on offer at the moment for £15.90 per box but, they will not reach you for your holiday.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andybag the CNP Flapjacks seem ideal. I love Flapjacks!!!!

However I've checked their website http://www.cnpprofessional.co.uk/products/90/pro-flapjacks and I'm having trouble deciphering the amount of sugars in the carbs due to a third entry in the nutritional data. EG the Chocolate/Orange Flapjack shows per 100g either 6.04g or 13.9g. Andy would you mind double checking on one of the bars if you've got one handy - please!!!! BTW I'm not off for another week, so theres plenty of time to order.

How many of these do you consume a day when skiing. I ski about 6 to 7 hours a day. Do you also take protein?

Pedantica I don't really like the Nature Valley bars I always find they're missing something...more of a snack bar than an energy bar...thanks for your suggestion though
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As above, I am a type 1. I tend to use High 5 and Powerbar gels for low blood sugars, keep the odd protein bar in my rucksack for missing the odd lunch, and use standard cereal bars for general energy. However, I did previously train a fair bit and found that the protein taken shortly after exercise did seem to lessen recovery time a little, as did creatine for strength training. I often take a protein drink for the first couple of days especially if I won't be eating tea until a few hours after finishing (got to have a few beers for re-hydration) Laughing A tuna butty would be more palatable though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:
beer . . . wink

This. Accept no substitute Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just found the Reflex Flapjacks are really low in sugar - only 1.6g. I use their Whey Protein and find it great. I may have just answered my own question. Anyway here's the link http://www.reflex-nutrition.com/high-protein-flapjack.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cyberil, have you had a look at myprotein.com and their 'unflavoured' impact whey protein ? It might be what you're looking for. Good value in my opinion.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/impact_whey_protein
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
9 bar are very good - a seed bar, about 10g of sugars, about 200kcal a bar.
Very tasty, filling, and I like to use them post-workout to refuel and repair.
That, or a pack of chicken breast fillets Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paul,

The info on the back of the pack says
    Calories: 278.6
    Protein: 18.8g
    Carbohydrate: 34.9g
    of which sugars: 5g
    Fat :7.1g

I normally eat half a bar at a time so have them for my mid morning and mid afternoon snack. I am a bit OCD regarding my blood sugars though as I tend to do about 8-10 blood tests a day so I tend to eat as and when I need it. I have taken protein on holiday with me in the past (have plenty at home from rugby training) but I have found no massive effect on recovery (or my appetite) from skiing between taking it and not taking it. Obviously this works for me and may be different for you.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
adamantis, I looked 9 Bar up, the lowest sugar content is the peanut one at about 17%, most of the others are around the 25 mark or higher!
ski holidays
I wouldn't dare to say how protein shakes work for diabetes but for normal gym a couple of recent studies found that they were essentially expensive milk shakes and that they can cause more harm than good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18863293 " the size of the effect is often minuscule and it certainly doesn't apply to the population at large who are buying these products. "
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19449377 "often doing more harm than good"

I seem to remember that the Horizon TV programme about it suggested that milk was as good as a exercise recovery drink
snow report
Quote:

I seem to remember that the Horizon TV programme about it suggested that milk was as good as a exercise recovery drink

Heard that too - I have also heard that Beer comes a close 2nd for recovery, no joke. I think Masque, was hinting at this also.
snow conditions
I use beer a lot for mountain biking. Although 4 pints of real ale in 40 mins did lead to a wobbly second leg Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'd say extra protein is only required if you have pushed to the point where you will have aching muscles the next day. I also used to take much less than the recommended amount. Just a third of a helping after the session and perhaps a teaspoon of whey in water later in the evening.

As with most things, a sensible balance is all that is required. Unless you have a huge muscle laden bulk most of the protein will be excreted.
snow report
And even better, a nice big meal of salmon with with some long acting carbs Toofy Grin
latest report
I'm always fascinated by these threads and now living in the States where 'supplemental nutrition' is a Billion Dollar industry it's even more of an interest. I'll not make any comment on the OP, diabetics have a very good awareness of their nutrition regime (I've a Type 1 nephew who habitually abuses his Insulin and a type 2 Father with Alzheimer's) so I won't offer any thoughts there but for the rest of us I'm quite intrigued.

I was married to a nutritionist and I've a 'lay' interest myself and I'm truly nonplussed by healthy people who think they need to top up their system every two or three hours or immediately post moderate exertion with refined carbohydrates, sugar and fat . . . let alone the industrial waste so prevalent in 'energy' drinks

Us big monkeys perform at our best in calorie deficit . . . chasing down whatever fish, fowl, or fur we want to gnaw on . . . and our body systems are still tuned for that as current research continues to support a limited calorie diet to avoid many of our common ailments.

So why do you lot feel the need to incessantly nibble on extraordinarily over-priced and oversold junk food when all you need is nothing more than mixed tablespoon of raisins and walnuts to support your entire day's efforts?

I don't include the tourers and x-country folks in this as their output is on a vastly different level to us piste bunnies.

touch paper lit
ski holidays
WayneC wrote:
I wouldn't dare to say how protein shakes work for diabetes but for normal gym a couple of recent studies found that they were essentially expensive milk shakes and that they can cause more harm than good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18863293 " the size of the effect is often minuscule and it certainly doesn't apply to the population at large who are buying these products. "
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19449377 "often doing more harm than good"

I found protein shakes after the gym (aiming for muscle gain) made quite a big difference - after all you need protein to build the muscles! In a perfect world I'd just have a sirloin steak or two every night, but protein shakes worked out a lot cheaper. I'd only have on after a gym session though, didn't see the point in replacing breakfast with on etc, treated it purely as extra protein when on a cheap (so relatively low meat) student diet.

I never considered using them after skiing for 'recovery' though - normal meals seem to do that fine for me!
snow report
Masque wrote:
I'm always fascinated by these threads and now living in the States where 'supplemental nutrition' is a Billion Dollar industry it's even more of an interest. I'll not make any comment on the OP, diabetics have a very good awareness of their nutrition regime (I've a Type 1 nephew who habitually abuses his Insulin and a type 2 Father with Alzheimer's) so I won't offer any thoughts there but for the rest of us I'm quite intrigued.

I was married to a nutritionist and I've a 'lay' interest myself and I'm truly nonplussed by healthy people who think they need to top up their system every two or three hours or immediately post moderate exertion with refined carbohydrates, sugar and fat . . . let alone the industrial waste so prevalent in 'energy' drinks

Us big monkeys perform at our best in calorie deficit . . . chasing down whatever fish, fowl, or fur we want to gnaw on . . . and our body systems are still tuned for that as current research continues to support a limited calorie diet to avoid many of our common ailments.

So why do you lot feel the need to incessantly nibble on extraordinarily over-priced and oversold junk food when all you need is nothing more than mixed tablespoon of raisins and walnuts to support your entire day's efforts?

I don't include the tourers and x-country folks in this as their output is on a vastly different level to us piste bunnies.

touch paper lit

That's some location
ski holidays
sidlittle, It's a grand place to post from, the view's wonderful . . . though you might add some erudition to your observation Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Masque, I'll sling in a cereal bar as part of my picnic if I'm walking all day. When skiing, there might be one in my pocket, quite often it comes back uneaten or only half-eaten. Not too heinous, I think, particularly since I don't drink beer, or sticky alpine liqueurs, or any kind of drink with whipped cream, or (save the occasional lapse) huge starchy lunches. I certainly don't eat such things for 'energy' or 'muscle recovery' or anything like that. I wouldn't dream of touching any of those revolting-looking energy drinks. And, finally, I don't actually like raisins or walnuts. wink
latest report
For once I not only understood what Masque was saying but actually agreed with it.
snow conditions
musher, I agree with it too. People don't actually need these things.
ski holidays
Pedantica, There's this promoted trend that's been developing for a decade or more that we need this constant hydration and electrolyte replenishment when we exert ourselves and 99.99% of it is utter shite. Just in the last few months Coca Cola's lawyers defended in Court their 'VitaminWater' having been proven to be of no beneficial value whatsoever said
Quote:
"no consumer could reasonably be misled into thinking vitaminwater was a healthy beverage."

The supplements business is as damaging to our health as all the rest of our industrialised food industry and our basic gluttony Embarassed
latest report
musher, DAM! failed again . . .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a difference between quality supplements and aspartame-filled global 'energy drinks' for goodness sake
snow conditions
I use all that crap when training/racing, not when skiing, but I also use bananas and normal cereal bars too - whatever is handy at the time. No idea if it makes much difference to performance.
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:
I use all that crap when training/racing, not when skiing, but I also use bananas and normal cereal bars too - whatever is handy at the time. No idea if it makes much difference to performance.

Ummmm . . . you ought to Shocked
ski holidays
sidlittle wrote:
There's a difference between quality supplements and aspartame-filled global 'energy drinks' for goodness sake

sidlittle, are you an elite athlete at World class level? Are you a competitive body builder? Do you have a genetic abnormality requiring special nutrition?

If you are not part of those then there is no need for and no benefit beyond what is marginal at best for any "quality supplement" all these provide is a reduction in 'bulk' to the nutrition required to maintain the training regime.

I may know more about this than you think so be thoughtful and informative with your response . . . Toofy Grin
snow report
Masque wrote:
sidlittle wrote:

sidlittle, are you an elite athlete at World class level? Are you a competitive body builder? Do you have a genetic abnormality requiring special nutrition?

If you are not part of those then there is no need for and no benefit beyond what is marginal at best for any "quality supplement" all these provide is a reduction in 'bulk' to the nutrition required to maintain the training regime.

I may know more about this than you think so be thoughtful and informative with your response . . . Toofy Grin

I don't disagree with your main point - its a billion dollar industry for a reason. However, I do train 4 times a week and supplement my diet with extra protein and guess what ? .. I'm big and strong Cool
ski holidays
sidlittle, And I'm old and lazy . . . with great chagrin . . . however I have known (and may still do) some 'small and little' who could whip your arѕe to a pink plasma froth. She's sixty next year and still teaching Krav Maga.

The reason is 'ignorance' and 'short cut' . . . thinking that being
Quote:
big and strong
has any advantage over quick and agile is rather an oxymoron. Taking supplements with the goal to impress your peers is rather self defeating especially when you artificially induce muscle structure. That has no purpose beyond 'display' and has repeatedly been shown to be a handicap in combat. Are you a competitive body builder? I've no issue with vanity display, go for it . . . but don't for a minute claim that the average piste punter needs more than a Mars Bar to provide the energy for a day's skiing.

I'm all for good nutrition with general fitness focused to our sport . . . but if you want to claim you 'Muscle Marys' are a path to better skiing . . . perhaps reflection is required?
latest report
Masque,
Quote:

a Mars Bar

Shocked Shocked Shocked My cereal bar's healthier than that! wink
snow report
adamantis,
Quote:

a pack of chicken breast fillets

That's not my idea of a tasty snack either, even if it is very worthy! You should at least try thighs (with all skin and fat removed, natch) - much tastier.
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
sidlittle, And I'm old and lazy . . . with great chagrin . . . however I have known (and may still do) some 'small and little' who could whip your arѕe to a pink plasma froth. She's sixty next year and still teaching Krav Maga.

The reason is 'ignorance' and 'short cut' . . . thinking that being
Quote:
big and strong
has any advantage over quick and agile is rather an oxymoron. Taking supplements with the goal to impress your peers is rather self defeating especially when you artificially induce muscle structure. That has no purpose beyond 'display' and has repeatedly been shown to be a handicap in combat. Are you a competitive body builder? I've no issue with vanity display, go for it . . . but don't for a minute claim that the average piste punter needs more than a Mars Bar to provide the energy for a day's skiing.

I'm all for good nutrition with general fitness focused to our sport . . . but if you want to claim you 'Muscle Marys' are a path to better skiing . . . perhaps reflection is required?

You might be taking the Internet too seriously ? Little Angel
ski holidays
Pedantica, well yes but I'm just counting calorific value . . . you could carry 5 pounds of raw Calabrese broccoli in your pack as an equivalent. I doubt that your cereal bar is significantly healthier than a Mars bar . . lots happening in Courts about this very subject.
ski holidays
sidlittle, Fook man, I was here(metaphorical) and part of when it started!

Cynicism is the least of my vices . . . but I don't do hyperbole . . . so you may want to think about content to your rebuttal . . . otherwise you just display steroid induced scrotal shrinkage. Go fer it big mun wink
latest report
Masque, gimme a break, I can read the ingredients on a wrapper, you know, including the relative calorific values of my preferred cereal bar and a Mars bar.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy