Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Argentiere-need some advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I am an intermediate skiier who has not skied for a while and am organising a family holiday (had some good advice in my other thread) and am getting a bit stressed!!

We are flying to Geneva in Feb half term and staying in Argentiere

I cannot decide whether to hire a car or get a shuttle transfer from the airport. The latter is cheaper and a lot less stress but do we need a car in the resort to get to the slopes with all the gear? I have no idea how big Argentiere is (we are staying in an apartment in Via des Cutes - MONTROC).The former is more flexible but...

I have read so many confusing threads about which side of the airport to hire a car from-the French or the Swiss!! I read one comment which said the Swiss side is more expensive (as it includes a vignette so can go on the motorway) and is cheaper than a divorce!!

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Michael
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are in Montroc then you are halfway between Argentiere and Le Tour. Montroc is totally dead, no shops or bars. There are plenty of buses in the day but they only run twice in the evening. Half term will be busy in the day and the buses will be packed. Hire a car on the French side of geneva it won't me much more than the transfers. You don't need a vignette, as you don't have to use the motorways in Switzerland.

Argentiere is small but has several lively bars and a couple of places to eat, plus a supermarket and some sports shops. Le Tour is an excellent place for family intermediate skiing, Argentiere is not.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Hire a car on the French side of geneva it won't me much more than the transfers. You don't need a vignette, as you don't have to use the motorways in Switzerland.

Just to add to the confusion.... I'd suggest you compare prices on the French and Swiss side, the former is not always much cheaper and the latter does always include snowtyres, which are much more important (and more expensive) than the Swiss vignette.

You don't need to use the Swiss motorway to get to Chamonix, but it's easier to do so. Although I suppose that at half term the roads will be exceptionally busy and it might well be the case that those with good local knowledge avoid the A40 autoroute as much as possible.

If there's a big price difference and you end up hiring on the French side, you must ask for snowchains BUT you don't always get them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many thanks

Have booked a car from the swiss side and hope the A40 is not too busy

Now to sort out ski school-any recommendations would be great (and also ski hire).

Thank you

Michael
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

hope the A40 is not too busy

it will be far too busy - it's British half term and French holidays too. wink Just got to go (or not) with the flow.

Quote:

Now to sort out ski school-any recommendations would be great (and also ski hire).

the chamonix regulars might be able to recommend ski school but you might find they are already booked up that week. Don't delay - start ringing round tomorrow!! For ski hire, you could try skimium.com - book online, they claim there are big discounts.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you

Phew, managed to get some ski lessons with ESF which meets at Le Tour about 1Km from where we are staying in Montroc.

Will have a look at skimium.com (currently waiting for another quote from hurycanasports)

Am now looking at lift passes-the family of 4 looks to be the best value. I do not think we need the 'full monty' one, the middle option sounds right but can you buy online before you go? I can only see prices on line but not to book (just thinking of the queues on Sunday)!

Appreciate the advice given here-its really helpful

Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, buy your passes online and select the option to collect them from a cash desk. Although, I have a vague notion that you can only collect them from the Montenvers cash desk, which is in Cham town so a bit of a trek for you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

buy your passes online and select the option to collect them from a cash desk

but would that save any queueing? Sounds a bit antiquated.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
True, doesn't save on the queueing. He could choose to have the passes mailed to him – delivery can take up to 10 working days though.

Downstairs in one of the retail shops in town (Intersport Coquoz near the Helly Hanson shop), there is a little machine near the Evolution 2 desk where you can buy passes. Perhaps there are more of these scattered around the valley shops?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

He could choose to have the passes mailed to him – delivery can take up to 10 working days though.

that sounds like the way forward; do it soonest! I have never encountered queues to buy lift passes like one early January day in Le Tour. And then an equally insane queue to get up the lift. Lost the will to live - or, rather, the will to ski.

Once you have the plastic doofer you can recharge passes online here.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yoghurt, have a great time.

Mountain food-

le Tour - try Chalet de Balm it is a litte hut that you have to walk up to from the top of all the lifts- I'd say it is worth the walk up just for the atmosphere.

Argentiere- Chalet le Refuge- it is excellent- I could cheerfully spend all week here, but be very careful how you get down- as a walk may be required. Unless you are happy skiing anything on no account do Varient Hotel even if it is open- which it probably won't be.

Argentire Cremerie des Glacieres- down Piere a Ric (the home run in Argentiere) nearish the bottom, small sign in trees on the right- follow little sign and then eat fondue and croutes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yoghurt,

It is def easier, much easier, to hire on Swiss side.
It will as others have said include vignette and chains winter tyres.

If the price diff is affordable do it simply to avoid a divorce.

The car hire on the French Side is easy when you know the system but first time with family with family in tow not worth it.

If you don't have snow tyres the gendarmes often stop you going up the Argentiere road from Chamonix and you will not get up to LeTour if snowy.

If you need to save money skip a couple of lunches in the mountain restaurant and you' ll be evens.
Le tour much better for intermediates.

I've found skimium very good prices and very good kit, good service.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's really helpful, thank you for the advice.
Will try some of them out Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy