Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glencoe avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21101217

Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 19-01-13 17:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not good. Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh dear, that doesn't sound good. Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was one missing, its now three Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do climbers carry transceivers as often as the off-piste skiing groups do?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, it's different risks for climbers compared to skiers because they often need to move in roped linked groups up gullies and it may well have been a collapsing cornice rather than a big snow slide that triggered or swept the victims down in exposed terrain. So without knowing what happened, it might have been the kind of incident where nobody would have been in a position to search for anybody else anyway.

Despite not a whole load of recent fresh snow in the West Highlands though, there was a noted risk on N. facing aspects and quite a few snow showers will have pushed their way across from east to west during last night and the early morning today. http://www.sais.gov.uk/page_glencoe.asp

Hope there are survivors amongst the missing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just seen this. Horrible news. Anyone know where exactly?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fingers crossed, but I expect conditions are fairly mean up there at the moment. I hope the Mountain rescue parties will be OK too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Climbers don't carry transceivers the ground they climb on is generally too steep for the kind of avalanche experienced by skiers, however collapsing cornices are dangerous.

I heard it was near the lost valley, on church door buttress. Five involved, one safe, one in hospital three still being rescued/recovered. From BBC news.

Very sad.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
Do climbers carry transceivers as often as the off-piste skiing groups do?

Not usually. I was often surprised at some of the winter walking/climbing my flat mate (when I lived in Aberdeen) used to do, without much thought to avalanches/avi safety equipment. Moffatross makes some good points though. I know nothing about climbing, so can't really comment.

Hope this incident works out well anyway.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most climbers don't carry transceivers for the reasons stated but they very often on route to their climbs travel in prime avalanche territory. Particularly as a lot of routes are accessed via steep snowfields.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
found - but no word on condition....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apparently there's been a fair bit of avi activity in Scotland recently, just heard this form a mate working at Glenmore Lodge:

Quote:
It's avalanche central over here at the moment. There was one yesterday over near braemar, mountain rescue were out all day, and the helicopter was in 3 of 4 times. Group of students from edinburgh were doing some walking ill-equipped and there was an avalanche. Dragged the 6 of them down a corrie for 50 meters. 5 of them weren't too badly buried and got themselves out, but the 6th was buried until mountain rescue got there 40 minutes later. 40 Be Nice please! minutes buried under the snow.. She was completely fine. Unheard of.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BBC link just updated - its the worst news I'm afraid - 4 dead. RIP
snow conditions
Sad
snow report
A tragic waste of life.
ski holidays
Sad
snow report
fuck.
snow conditions
Very very sad.
snow report
Sad
ski holidays
Terrible news.
snow report
Sad news, SAIS forecast/warning was pretty explicit though with High risk across many aspects, the kind of forecast that gets more widely publicised than normal. Cruel fate on the same day as a terrible accident. It's easy to be critical of decisions made but that doesnt help anyone at this stage
Coire Gabhail is a lovely spot but can be deadly in winter, no coincidence that there's a helipad on the roadside right beside it. Glencoe peaks really are big mountains, there are plenty higher of course but not many really bigger in terms of potential risk etc
Thoughts with the families and hope MRT are back off the hill safely
snow conditions
Very Sad Sad
ski holidays
Very sad indeed.

Not sure if this is the same gully but it'll certainly be nearby. These were taken on a Jagged Globe winter mountaineering course and will give some idea of what was involved.

Here's another a bit further up Glencoe. That's the Lagangarbh hut with the Buchaile in the background. Less than 2 weeks before the photo was taken someone knocked a cornice off the top, down that gully and killed two walkers on the trade route that runs past that black blob.

latest report
altis, they're all looking nice and prepared for a slip Confused

Very sad news . . . I think this winter is turning into a dark one indeed. Sad
snow conditions
We must all know people who go out in the mountains in winter and a lot of said people don't take avalanches into consideration or the snow conditions either,a article about ski touring in the how gills brought it home to me were on nothing more than a hill to many caught a group out and a 10/20 ft slide took a pair into a gully nothing really fast and furious but the location was into a gully that quickly filled up 15 ft deep with snow.They happen in so many places for so many different reasons avalanche awareness to winter mountain/hill walker/climbers in the UK is sadly lacking but just as important as anywere else in the world.
snow conditions
Very sad I must add to the family's involved .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sad Sad
ski holidays
Very sad. RIP to those poor people involved.
latest report
Very sad news indeed Sad

Yesterday I saw the search and rescue helicopter flying very low over Aviemore in what looked like the direction of Inverness, ski area was closed due to very heavy snow coming in on high winds and I presume it must have been called out on a rescue but whether or not they were able to get up the mountain I'm not sure and haven't heard about any serious casualties so hopefully nobody was badly hurt. Have seen the helicopter out quite a few times recently, the other day rescuing a tourer who apparently fell off the Cas Headwall, ski patrol assist mountain rescue in a lot of rescues outside the ski area too so there are a lot of rescue resources here thankfully.

Today the high risk avalanche flags were flying at the top of the hill to warn people not to go off piste, even within the ski area you can see there's a lot of windslab and cornices around in places I've never seen them before so off piste must be pretty damned hairy and with a lot more snow coming in early next week I can't see it settling down for a while!
snow report
Quote:

off piste must be pretty damned hairy and with a lot more snow coming in early next week I can't see it settling down for a while!

have to hope there won't be any more tragedies. Those mountain rescue teams are real heroes.
ski holidays
^ yes totally agree and over here they're all volunteers who get no pay for their work.
latest report
After a mate had some issues and then lost a bearing I once had to descend the gully above the shelter stone corrie on the Caingorms after spending all night out in a storm on the plateau. We were bashing down through waist deep snow but due to having been out for 20 odd hours in +100mph winds the risk of avi's was offset by the need to get down to a lower level. Sometimes after a bit of an epic it's a calculated risk.

And yes, the mountain rescue teams deserve praise indeed.
snow conditions
From what I hear the total amount of snow is not great but big winds have scoured it all off some areas and dumped it as wind slab elsewhere.
latest report
The Mountain Rescue lot have to buy their own kit as well. Unbelievable.
snow report
The news I just heard said those climbers had fallen 1000 feet and were buried under up to 2 metres of snow. Sad
latest report
snowball, yes quite right, in the west the total amount of snow isn't that great in comparison to over here in the East but as you'll know wind slab can be very dangerous stuff - expect the avalanche danger to go higher as big dumps come in over the next couple of days!
snow report
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/glencoe-avalanche-fatalities

A few guys on STW lost friends up there .

You can tell from their posts they are all abit shell shocked .

The worst possible news , especially to all those who love the outdoors in winter . It can be beautiful , it can also be deadly.
snow report
The mountain rescue guy interviewed on sky seemed to think they were walkers rather than climbers.

Very sad news. Every time we go out onto the hills we take a risk Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy