Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone used a POC Fornix?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at the POC Fornix (looks best compromise between safety/cost) for an upcoming trip but can't find any word on here about what's like to use day to day. Anyone used one and care to share their thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SiPieFace, don't know that model, but my recommendation would be to try on any helmet before you buy it to make sure it is comfortable on your head. If possible, also take your goggles along to make sure they work with the helmet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

looks best compromise between safety/cost

most discussions here have concluded that there's no safety/cost trade-off. I have tried a lot, including some quite expensive ones which I liked the look of, but which just didn't fit. rob@rar is right - you must try on, and make sure the goggles and helmet are compatible. A helmet which isn't a really good fit will be less safe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've tried one on and it fitted me well so now trying to get a handle on venting, all day comfort, compatibles googles (that don't steam up).
rob@rar wrote:
SiPieFace If possible, also take your goggles along to make sure they work with the helmet.

Also need goggles aswell. My old Adidas goggles are goosed, so need some compatible ones to suit a new helmet. Also need boots, but that's another story, so it's going to be expensive.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
POC do a complete helmet/goggle co-ordination system, so you can choose a colour/style of goggle to suit your helmet exactly. They have a system on their website where you can try out various combinations to see what you like. It's quite fun:

http://www.pocsports.com/en/combo

The Fornix is a really smart helmet- I'm hoping we have a few left over at the end of the season so I can snaffle one!

As to the comment above, I think it's probably true re the cost/safety trade off, PROVIDED the helmets meet the American ASTM2040 standard, which is more stringent than the European one. The Fornix does, not all do. Of course, of those that do, some may just meet it, while others may significantly exceed it, but we have no way of knowing the situation for individual helmets, and whether this correlates with cost.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

most discussions here have concluded that there's no safety/cost trade-off.

Edit: No, not going there again Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the info people. Really like the look of the Fornix but want to know if the venting really works (as my head does get hot, but ears stay cold Puzzled) and also if the ear warmer side bits also work?

Yeah, looking to maybe get POC goggles too. My last goggles did steam up a bit but there wasn't double lens tech around then (early 00's). Assuming I need to go down this route for best anti-fog. Anyone any experience of POC goggles?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SiPieFace, Ive just opted for a Fornix/Lobes goggle combo.

Perfect fit (no gaper)

Nice quality feel to the helmet and the googles are Cool but yet to use in anger.Im off to Verbier on Thursday so will report back.

My only caveat is that all the stock photos including the POC website show this helmet in a soft sheen/matt finish.In the flesh it is definitely a glossier finish.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hedley, Nice to hear. Look forward to a report, particularly if your head gets hot.

What colour combo did you go for? I'm liking the strong blue helmet/white goggles or white helmet/blue goggles. Can't decide which.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 20-01-13 0:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SiPieFace,

Blue jacket, black helmet/blue goggles.

I ummd and ahhd on a blue /blue combo but decided it was too 'double denim' with a blue jacket. Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
not sure about a shiny helmet.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
not sure about a shiny helmet.....

Easy, china.......
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, LOL

thats why i went for black and not purple wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I found Smith IOx goggles work well with my POC helmet.
I strayed briefly from Smith or Oakleys but probably wont do that again!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like POC helmets, I also like Sweet Protection helmets, but most of all I like a beanie.

POC helmets are good, haven't tried the Fornix, but used to have a receptor which fitted very well with the lobes. I know have a SP Trooper HC which looks great and is noticiable smaller in volme, reducing the reduces the big head effct. However, most helmets, are really too warm even on cold days.

POC goggles though are not very good, the lobes steam up more than my oakleys and can be useless in some conditions. i.e. high humidity and just near freezing. The lenses are also some of the worst I have tried and are hopeless if there is any hint of flattish light. It's such a shame as they look great, but the definition is terrible. On the plus side they are great for practising your techinique and balance as you can't see fa.

stuarth, +1
ski holidays
I've had a couple of pairs of POC goggles. The Iris (double lens version) was OK and obviously is a good match for their helmets. However, the Cornea was absolutely useless. Would fog up at the merest hint of a cloud. Very disappointed with them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy