Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dodgy ski insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Guardian suggested OUL Direct for cheap ski insurance. Here is the article http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/jan/09/ski-insurance-dont-cut-corners?INTCMP=SRCH

Works out less than ten quid a head for a week. This is for "winter sports cover" Hazardous activities cat A include

(The text below is lifted from their website)

Hazardous Activities Category A

Your cover automatically includes the Activities listed Below at no additional cost:

Personal Liability Cover does not apply when participating in any Hazardous Activities.

Aerobics
Angling
Archery
Badminton
Bamboo Rafting (only on inland waters or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit of land)
Banana Boating
Baseball
Basketball
Beach games
Blade Skating
Board Sailing (only on inland waters or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit from land)
Body Boarding/Boogie Boarding (only on inland waters or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit from land)
Bowls
Catamaran Sailing (inland waters only) European Waters only
Clay Pigeon Shooting
Cricket
Croquet
Cross Country Running
Curling
Cycling (but not BMX and mountain bikes)
Dinghy Sailing (inland waters only) within a 12 mile limit form land
Dragon Boat Racing
Fell walking, rambling and trekking
Fishing
Sea Fishing
Fruit or Vegetable Picking (under 3 metres)
Glass Bottom Boats
Goalball
Golf
Handball
Hobbie Catting (only on inland or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit from land) European Waters
Ice-skating (rink only)
Jet Boating
Jogging
Kite Boarding
Kite Surfing
Netball
Non-Manual Labour – excluding Animal Sanctuary/Refuge work
Parascending (towed by boat)
Rafting, canoeing and kayaking (including white water up to grade 3)
Pilates
Pony Trekking
Power Boating (non-competitive)
Rackets
Racquet Ball
Roller skating
Rounder’s
Scuba diving (up to 18 metres)
Skateboarding
Snooker, pool and billards
Snorkelling
Softball
Spinning
Squash
Surfing
Swimming (in pool or inland waters or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit from land)
Swimming with Dolphins
Table tennis
Ten Pin Bowling
Tennis
Trampolining
Tubing
Tug of War
Volleyball
Wakeboarding
Walking
Water Polo
Water-skiing (only on inland waters or coastal waters within a 12 mile limit from land)
Windsurfing

I did click on the button offering "Winter Sports Cover"

NO mention of skiing. Obviously I didn't use them for insurance. Cat B does not include skiing either. Cat 3 does but makes them rather uncompetitive. It is a little scary that if not careful it is possible to buy winter sport insurance which does not actually cover you for skiing. First timers or people who are not internet savvy could find themselves in quite a pickle.

Especially ironic as The Guardian article says "Make sure you don't cut corners with your ski insurance if you're heading to the slopes, or your winter break could go downhill fast"
Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Personal Liability Cover does not apply when participating in any Hazardous Activities.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Fruit or Vegetable Picking (under 3 metres)

I'm assuming that's the winter sports bit...picking strawberries under 3m of powder must be quite dangerous!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd love to read the rationale and the accident reports that put "Fruit or Vegetable Picking (under 3 metres) " into "Hazardous Activities Category A" Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sequoiaboard, Interestingly our winter cover has lists like that in four different catagories, where all but the first has an extra premium.

Skiing wasnt listed in any of them either - as skiing was automatically covered in the winter sports pack. Everything else was additonal activities.

As you say it could be a bit misleading and for new people looking for insurance, and confusing. Some insurances only cover other activities only once too including ice skating. Imagine being in a reort with outdoor ice rink and you or kids want to partake each night - and you need to wear a helmet too Toofy Grin

Insurance is getting to be a minefield these days at times.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think it's daft to list fruit picking as hazardous ; anything involving 2 - 3 m ladders is probably more hazardous than your usual ski holiday. You'd have to be mad to buy an insurance policy which doesn't cover personal liability. Even fruit picking, you could easily topple off a ladder and maim somebody. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sequoiaboard,

These policies do cover skiing (even off-piste, with a guide..) provided you purchase the 'wintersport' extension - have a read of the 'policy wording' (bronze single trip + wintersports)

https://www.thisistravelinsuranceonline.com/policywording.aspx

I'd cut and paste the revelant bits, but I can't get it to work......................................!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy