Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to Zell am See - any tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Flying to Munich on Friday 8th February and coming back Wednesday 13th. Getting car from Budget (via Carhire 3000). Any of my previous experiences driving to Austria (once from Scotland and once from Munich) usually involved heavy heavy traffic jams around Munich and entering Austria. Very keen to avoid that and hopefully by driving outwith Saturdays it should help. A couple of questions.

What's your experience of Budget car hire?
What's the quickest route to Zell from Munich?

Vielen dank im voraus.
Tchuss
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boabski, On my iPad at the mo but I can send you several work arounds if traffic is bad if you want them. Bavarian schools start their half term on that day I think, so it could be really bad on the Friday. I can even give you some routes that avoid the need for the vignette. They are a wee bit slower but they almost certainly will not be overloaded. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samerberg Sue, that would be really helpful if you could. Thanks once again
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
boabski, OK first the bad news - the Bavarian schools do break up that day, so traffic will build up along the usual routes from midday onwards.

When do you land is the first question? If it is any time before 11.00 you should be OK sticking to the autobahn. If you land later in the evening, say 20.00 you may have some difficulties as the weekenders from Northern Bavaria, Hesse and Saarland start arriving in our neck of the woods. I recently drove into Munich on a Friday evening and it really was nose-to-tail going towards the mountains. And that was a bog standard weekend.

It will help if you bring a Sat-Nav if you can as the A92/A9/A99 can be avoided by going cross-country if there are hold ups. It is my route to and from the airport if there is heavy traffic.

The A8 should be OK unless there is a snow storm (as there was on Wednesday for example and my commute home took over 2 hours when it should only take 45 minutes. Sad ).

I'll copy some of my routes to you so you can look at them and make your decisions as you go along. A good source of information about the traffic and road situation is Antenne Bayern. They give out traffic reports every 30 minutes including how long it will take you to get past a hold up.

Sue wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arrive around 1.30 so I'm guessing we'd be hitting the roads around 3/3.30. We're kind of expecting the worse so any routes to help reduce likelihood of big hold ups would be fantastisch. As always your advice is excellent.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski, I'm in Flachau right now doing my "manager" work on apartments (I'm the Putzfrau in other words Laughing ). I'll start sending you some route descriptions later today or tomorrow when I' home. I'll link them to Google Maps so you can see them in reality.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Absolutely no rush. Watched my recorded highlights of the women's slalom from flachau earlier. Looked good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski, we collected our hire car from Munich airport last week. Returning it tomorrow. I am not 100% sure but I think you will be collecting your car from the same place as we did. I think the name at the desk is 'Terstappen'. I hope that your transaction goes smoothly. Ours did not. We rented via the Internet two years ago and ended up with them. We were a group of nine, renting three cars. It took over two hours to get the cars. Last year I did it direct with Avis. Less then 5 minutes. I jest not. This year I went via Holiday Autos as they offered a 'winterised' car at no extra cost - specifically to include Winter Tyres. I kept screen prints of my transaction on my iPad and paper copies of absolutely everything. Sure enough, we were back with Terstappen. And once again, it took over two hours to get the car. I used my own phone (twice) to ring England to answer queries that they couldn't sort out. The 'voucher' that I had, confirmed that the car would have Winter Tyres. The staff at Terstappen said that the small print stated that Winter Tyres would be extra. In the end my screen print saved the day on that one. However, I have been charged €20 extra for a 'Green Card' to take the car to Austria - I have never had to pay that before. It was made clear to me that if I did not pay the €20 then I would not be allowed to take the car into Austria. In the end, I just paid that as the rest of the group had had enough. I intend to complain about it tomorrow when I return the car.

I wish you good luck but I know that when I return in March, I will be using Avis. I do not have anything good to say about Terstappen.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A very useful short cut to Munich Airport that I found and is not on a lot of Sat Navs as its a new road is as follows :

Leave the A99 motorway at the Munich Ost Kreuz onto the A94. Head away from Munich and take the second autobahn exit (9b I think but I'll check and edit). You then simply follow this new road all the way north to the airport. In reverse you would leave the airport and follow the signs for Erding. Keep following the Erding signs until you pick up the München / Salzburg autobahn signs
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JohnHSmith, ouch. Was that through Carhire 3000? I booked via them based on recommendations on here. Thankfully I can cancel without charge. We will be getting the car from budget on site
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boabski, this time we booked through Holiday Autos. I haven't used Car Hire 3000 but like you have read good things about them on this site. I'm really not trying to put you off. Just get your paperwork in order ready to counter any problems. It may also be that your car hire is not handled by Terstappen. I will try to keep a look out when we take our car back.
Also forgot to mention that they take a deposit from you for the amount of the insurance excess (although I don't find that unreasonable). This means that if you have an annual policy to reduce the excess, they still block a high amount out of your credit / debit card.
Also look here http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187275-i116-k4261015-Terstappen_Car_Rental-Germany.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
downhillalltheway, you need to update your sat-nav! Laughing Mine (Garmin Nüvi) has been showing it for a while and I've used it several times to get round the rush hour traffic on the A99/A9 junctions. It is the St2580 and leaves the A94 at Junction 9b which is the junction after the Segmüller turn-off at Parsdorf.

boabski, I'm working on your alternative routes but I need an email address to send them to you from my route planner software. Can you let me know in a PM please.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boabski, the Budget Car Rental at Munich Airport is separate from Terstappen. It is next to (or possibly part of) the Avis desk. I don't think you have anything to fear. Sorry if I caused a panic.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JohnHSmith, thanks for that. Hope you managed to enjoy your trip inspite of your car rental issues.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski, Always enjoy the trip. A few challenges add a bit of interest along the way
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy