Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you "ski" or do you "practice skiing"?

Poster: A snowHead
Sat on a chairlift in Austria over christmas for a solo run as Mrs.D was having a refreshment stop and I was next to what sounded like two people out of a group.

They sounded quite snobby, for want of a better word.

The lady was spouting about how her and "X" were lah-di-dahing down a blue and she was leading to set the pace and was "practicing turns".

I sat there thinking "if you're up here in the best place possible why on earth would you want to practice? surely the whole idea of going skiing is to ski".

Am I wrong in my opinion?

As a point of note, they DID NOT sound like they were beginners in ski school where I can fully appreciate someone "practising turns"
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
homers double,
Quote:

Yes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Based on what?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Both – if it’s a great day, and everyone is the same level, we all just go and ski. And ski and ski and ski, and occasionally stop for a drink.

But, I’ve decamped to low easy slopes on a day of poor visibility and practiced some drills as it was the best option at the time. And the first day back on slopes after the PSB I was definitely practicing rather than skiing – I’d taken away loads from the lessons there that I really wanted to consolidate quickly, rather than just bomb round and forget it all. And if I’m skiing with some beginner friends, I’d much rather stick with them on easy slopes to make sure they are comfortable and enjoying themselves, and I’ll just practice what I can to amuse myself and improve myself at the same time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I practise skiing quite a lot ...........in the fridge at Hemel Smile

However, during the trips I have planned over the next 3 months, although I do intend to do some practice at the start of the day, that will be to 'tune up' in order to get the most out of my fun skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If said in a lah di dah voice I can see it's a bit affected but it's really only about mental attitude - consciously thinking about the type of turns she was doing rather than unconscious competence etc. I'll sometimes think , I'll sometimes just ski, thinking excuses the bit where it goes wrong.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fixx, Also agree with what you've said.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't see the difference.. when I'm skiing, I'm always aware of what I'm doing, and trying to improve... If I was racing or had a particular event for which I had to perform, then I might consider other skiing as 'practice'. Jsut go for it and be self aware and it all becomes one
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As I don't go out of my way to ski badly (though I'm sure I manage it - but that's a separate issue), the corollary is that I spend my entire time trying to ski the best I can, therefore I guess, yes, I go skiing to practise it.

A bit like practising the piano. There is no other way to play it; even when performing to an audience you hope you manage to do it a bit better than the previous time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
.......... and today's prize goes to Iski for knowing the difference between practice and practise. You win a free day pass. Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am not yet unconciously competent If its easy, I'll probably not waste the slope without some practice - even if thats a schuss which I still need to concentrate on, if it's not easy I'm probably concentrating on the slope too much to be 'skiing' so it's more the conscious application and hopefully improvement of what I know. If I get down either slope and think 'the snow up there was damn good, then I'll go up again and 'though it doesn't happen often' I might even 'ski it for 'fun'. I did it once 2 years ago in Les Arcs when we had spent the week dancing on ice. We took the kids to the Snowpark early one morning to do the easy jumps and no-one had distrubed the corduroy. Now I don't know where they found that 300years of soft magic show amongst the ice that year, but we skied around the obstacles to meet the kids at the end, looked at each other and said 'Oh boy!! Very Happy ' It was worth every bit of having to ride a wretched T-Bar just to ski 300yd of decent snow that year - I think we went around 3 times Laughing and then, I skied for enjoyment Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 18-01-13 12:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
.......... and today's prize goes to Iski for knowing the difference between practice and practise. You win a free day pass. Laughing

Lizzard, if you didn't spend so much time looking out for grammatical errors, you might have some left to sell some passes rather than need to give them away. wink

homers double, prepare to be patronised by the usual suspects. I'll get the popcorn in. Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I don't see the difference.. when I'm skiing, I'm always aware of what I'm doing, and trying to improve.... Jsut go for it and be self aware and it all becomes one

This.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I sat there thinking "if you're up here in the best place possible why on earth would you want to practice? surely the whole idea of going skiing is to ski".

If you are unconsciously competent at anything the mountain can throw at you in your normal skiing environment, you are correct in your opinion that you have passed the practice phase.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cynic,
Quote:

If you are unconsciously competent at anything the mountain can throw at you in your normal skiing environment, you are correct in your opinion that you have passed the practice phase.

Does anyone stay unconsciously competent (especially on just a few weeks a year)? You certainly don't stay unconsciously competent as a piano player, even as a top professional: you have to practise as well as concertize and I should have thought the same would apply to any activity involving motor skills.
latest report
homers double, When I'm 'just skiing' (either because I'm enjoying it so much, or because I'm concentrating on just getting down in one piece, or trying to keep up with others), I'm often reinforcing bad habits. It's when I can slow down and practise that I stand a chance of improving my skiing. (I think.)
snow report
Quote:

Does anyone stay unconsciously competent (especially on just a few weeks a year)? You certainly don't stay unconsciously competent as a piano player, even as a top professional: you have to practise as well as concertize and I should have thought the same would apply to any activity involving motor skills.

Pedantica, Errr that was the subtle point.
snow report
If you want to improve you practise skiing, if you just want to ski you practise "flow". wink
snow conditions
I have fun.....everything else is secondary. wink
latest report
snowmum123, I think you describe, very well, the stage quite a few skiers are at. I've now reached the point, thanks to lots of lessons, when I realise that "doing the right thing" is even more important when things are difficult (e.g. poor vis, very steep). It just goes better, always, if you remember that stuff (e.g. dive down the slope on steeps, don't leave your uphill hand behind, etc etc).

However, I'm certainly not at the stage when I do the right thing all the time (is anyone?). When I feel I'm skiing badly then I absolutely don't enjoy it. Ploughing inelegantly down some (not difficult) off-piste I invariably find thighs aching and am telling myself (aloud, quite frequently) to stand up on my skis. Then it goes well for three turns and boy, does it feel good. Then falls apart again, but maybe it'll go right for four turns next time.

I do have friends who ski rather badly, won't take lessons, and say "As long as I'm enjoying myself, that's fine". And it is, of course. BUT it does make me a bit cross sometimes when I have to stand around in the freezing cold watching them "enjoying themselves" rather slowly down a red run, because if they fall down I am likely to have to scoop up their skis and help them up. Evil or Very Mad I ski a lot with beginners, and I really enjoy it providing they are trying to improve and practising what they learnt in a lesson. When I ski with my son I appreciate his hints and tips, though his skiing is so many light years better than mine that they are not always manageable.
ski holidays
pam w, You're right, of course, that things go better when you remember to do the right things. I hope that 'practising skiing' at least some of the time will help me to do the right things more of the time, so that I can enjoy 'just skiing' even more in the future. But I wouldn't enjoy my holidays nearly so much if I spent all the time practising. All work and no play, and all that ...
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:

Ooops, good point Embarassed

feef wrote:
I don't see the difference.. when I'm skiing, I'm always aware of what I'm doing, and trying to improve... If I was racing or had a particular event for which I had to perform, then I might consider other skiing as 'practice'. Jsut go for it and be self aware and it all becomes one

I’d love to be able to say I do this, but I have a long way to go, and still find myself panicking if it gets tricky, and then my brain shuts down and won’t think about ‘practising’.

But I do like it when I feel confident and comfortable, and can look around and enjoy the scenery, and let myself unconsciously ski a little.

Most of the time my brain is working quite hard though, and I do talk to myself even when skiing around thinking “weight is too far back, stop it” or “MTFU, point down, feel the balance shift, you know how to turn” etc Toofy Grin

But I do see set periods of doing drills etc as quite separate, and definitely needed for me. Worth the investment though! (As are lessons)

pam w, +1 to all of that!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 18-01-13 13:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

But I do see set periods of doing drills etc as quite separate, and definitely needed for me. Worth the investment though! (As are lessons)

Yes - drills ARE different. I spent four days doing quite a few, week before last, because I was skiing with brother in law who is slow, on blue slopes. I stayed behind him all the time so he could pick his own speed, and had plenty of time to practice drills - had new skis which took a bit of getting used to, so one-footed drills, pivot slips etc were all good. Plus, it was brilliantly sunny, warm and with perfect piste snow. snowHead

I can't imagine ever setting out saying "I'm just going to enjoy my skiing today and not worry if I ski badly or get into bad habits".

I can usually now settle myself down, if alarmed/scared/a bit out of my depth and get myself to do the right things to get down safely, even if I wouldn't have chosen to be there.

I find it much more enjoyable to ski a red run I can ski well, than a nasty black one which I can "get down". Last time I did one of those I did find I was skiing no more badly than 95% of those around me. The skilled 5% showed us how it should be done - the rest of us should have been somewhere else.
ski holidays
pam w, on the other hand, those 5% were probably in the 95% for a while themselves!
ski holidays
Quote:

I find it much more enjoyable to ski a red run I can ski well, than a nasty black one which I can "get down".

Absolutely, me too! I wonder how many of the rest of the 95% would have had the grace to admit that they should have been somewhere else.
snow report
I have to admit to often look for or repeatedly seek out places I may practise different techniques or turns on but I don't set out with that practice in mind . . . This one always has me slightly misstepping noun/verb/verb/noun? But yes I do consciously work on my skills but not to the detriment of having FUN! One of my favorite moments was a few years ago at an EOSB. SkiSimon and I set off from the top of the Bouchet lift down to Plan Bouchet . . . flat out and no prisoners . . . glorious run at stupid speeds on virtually empty piste just one group of blue run bimbles that were gone in a flash. The light, the snow, the pitch, everything was just bliss.
ski holidays
homers double, how dare they practice!!! rolling eyes

Personally, I like to practise because when the snow isn't perfectly groomed, and condescending people such as yourself have retired to the bar, I am still out there having a great time. I cannot believe that someone could possibly be frowned upon for practicing. Ridiculous.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 18-01-13 14:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

on the other hand, those 5% were probably in the 95% for a while themselves!

finestgreen, indeed. But I know that I will only learn how to become one of the 5% by doing stuff on easier runs, and really nailing it. Or, more realistically, I will never become one of the 5%, having left it a bit late to start. Good ski lessons, when you feel you've learnt something, always seem to take place on relatively "easy" terrain for the skiers involved. I find I can only learn new stuff when I feel comfortable, though having learnt it, I can use it on harder terrain (anyone who has had easiski yelling at them "dive..... more...... dive.... more..... yes!!" will know what I am talking about).

One enormous benefit of becoming a better skier is that your energy use goes down dramatically - you become much more efficient. As I intend to ski till I'm 80 that is a v important consideration. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nah!...never practise, or was that...never just ski? Confused

Actually, about 90% practise & 10% skiing.... of which 50% spent practising? Puzzled

^^^^ don't do that on a golf course, you'll be equally @rse at that too! rolling eyes
snow report
Typically I slide. Down the hill... on my face because I don't practise enough.
snow report
Elston wrote:

Personally, I like to practise because when the snow isn't perfectly groomed, and condescending people such as yourself have retired to the bar, I am still out there having a great time. I cannot believe that someone could possibly be frowned upon for practicing. Ridiculous.

See you just typify this forum, you assume that because I post here that I'm some sort of up my own back bottom pillock just like how you came across. I didn't frown upon them, I just questioned their train of thought.

As for stating that because you practice it automatically means you are better than me, you have no idea who I am, how I ski and how good, bad or indifferent I am. In fact you probably never will unless you see some guy in a green jacket zipping past you leaving you with a feeling of "ooo, he looks like he's having fun".

Anyway, I think you'll find me out til 5 even on the rough days.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 18-01-13 17:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Lizzard, if you didn't spend so much time looking out for grammatical errors, you might have some left to sell some passes rather than need to give them away.

I don't have to look for the sodding things, they leap off the page and go for the throat. Evil or Very Mad

And I'll have you know I sold at least a dozen lift passes today, we were positively mobbed.
ski holidays
Elston wrote:
frowned upon for practicing.

Oh, oh oh.
latest report
Elston wrote:
I cannot believe that someone could possibly be frowned upon for practicing. Ridiculous.

It FOOKIN' can be when it's their FOOKIN' round to pay Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Having read through this thread, one thing is blatantly apparent, and that is

You need to be able to play a piano to ski well Puzzled

Thats me knackered then, although i did play Trombone in the school band over 30 years ago. Actually think i ski like a Trombone, well i always have a big slide wink
ski holidays
homers double wrote:
Elston wrote:

See you just typify this forum, you assume that because I post here that I'm some sort of up my own back bottom pillock just like how you came across. I didn't frown upon them, I just questioned their train of thought.

As for stating that because you practice it automatically means you are better than me, you have no idea who I am, how I ski and how good, bad or indifferent I am. In fact you probably never will unless you see some guy in a green jacket zipping past you leaving you with a feeling of "ooo, he looks like he's having fun".

Anyway, I think you'll find me out til 5 even on the rough days.

No, I don't but please check your sarcasm meter because it must be broken.

I just find it very sad that you thought about 'questioning someones train of thought' on snowheads because they were practising. That is nothing less than pathetic.

They weren't skiing out of control. They weren't being reckless. If someone is out there enjoying themselves then, provided they were not being a reckless lady's front bottom, great for them.
It doesn't matter WTF you, me or anyone else thinks.
ski holidays
I thought about posting I a while back then forgot about it. It's only invite debate and isn't that what a forum is all about?
latest report
I'm definitely more conscious that I'm 'practising' if I'm - say - out with Pie Jr on some absurdly gentle terrain... I start doing artificially short turns, or skiing on one leg, or doing (extremely extremely shoddy) 360s - the kinds of things you might consider 'drills'. If I'm out with the wife or the lads and we're just hooning around, I'm moderately happy to ski in a fairly sloppy manner if I'm having fun. i.e. with the toddler I'll probably 'practise' carving as exactly as I can manage whilst on a gentle blue, whereas with 'the gang' I'll more likely just near-straightline it whilst shouting "LEEEEERRROOOOYYY JENNNNKINNNNS" at the top of my voice.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/uVZ50qAQrpc
snow conditions
homers double, I must admit that this has caught me on a bad day. I am not normally rude or sarcastic and for that I apologise.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy