Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Resorts for Tree Lined Runs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
currently out in Les Arcs 1800, contemplating our next ski trip, have come to the conclusion that both my OH and I love skiing at tree level, rather than at 3000m off a glacier. (perhaps its the current very very cold temps affecting us!)
as an example we are finding Peisey/Vallandry is very good for this, with likes of following reds: Morey, Aigle, Ours and blues of Foret and retour Plan Peisey.

What resorts do you recommend for Tree Lined skiing and which runs are your favourites for this type of skiing?
(am open to travel anywhere in France, Austria, Italy or Switzerland)
cheers

Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best resort for tree skiing? Have look at Japan..... Toofy Grin

Plenty around in europe, I'm not that up on the French resorts in this respect, ones that do spring to mind that I've skied are Les Arcs, Areches-Beaufort, Serre Chevalier, Sainte Foy, the tree line is lower in Austria so I'd be looking more in that direction. I'm assuming from your post that you want pistes that cut through tress rather than skiing through tree off psite style? have a look at Schladming, I think the makority of runs are tree linned. Some good areas in the Pyreness too, all the others I can think of are smaller areas.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Morzine-Les Gets is almost entirely tree lined blues and reds, but think the snow quality can suffer a little accordingly. But Avoriaz is easily accessible if you want to go higher.

Keep in mind I've never been anywhere else though! Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Areches-Beaufort

There are some nice tree-lined pistes in Areches-Beaufort but a considerably greater mileage through the trees in the (not far away) Arly Valley. Quite a lot in Crest Voland too, and the lower areas in Les Saisies/Hauteluce. The Arly Valley also has one of the slowest chairs around (plus a very smart new 6 man detachable chair) and some of the steepest drags.

This piste map is out of date but gives a clearer impression than current ones of which of the pistes in the area run through the trees.

http://images.google.com/imgres?q=val+d%27arly&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1067&bih=487&tbm=isch&tbnid=efXHqigf_gVpRM:&imgrefurl=http://crestvoland-crest.intersport-rent-france.co.uk/the-resort&docid=OMkquNAhildJBM&imgurl=http://crestvoland-crest.intersport-rent-france.co.uk/data/13/station/plan-des-pistes-diamant-crest-voland.jpg&w=800&h=453&ei=hor4UNH6M5Gb1AXwyIE4&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=616&sig=108485994076698771468&page=2&tbnh=136&tbnw=241&start=10&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0,i:111&tx=98&ty=75
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Red Mountain, Canada - best trees in the world.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, but the OP is looking for somewhere warm. wink I hadn't heard of Red Mountain and looked it up. I see it has "painfully slow chairs" in common with some parts of the Arly Valley. Laughing http://www.powderhounds.com/Canada/RedMountain/Ski-Resort.aspx
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Canada is best for tree sking, both tree lined runs and glade skiing

Course it doesn't necessarily come with the warmer temps that you want.........

But mid to late march would be warming and it often has the best snow then
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:
Red Mountain, Canada - best trees in the world.

^^^ +a really big 1 (though doesn't quite meet the OP's geographical criteria!)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 18-01-13 5:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
fatbob, but the OP is looking for somewhere warm. wink I hadn't heard of Red Mountain and looked it up. I see it has "painfully slow chairs" in common with some parts of the Arly Valley. Laughing http://www.powderhounds.com/Canada/RedMountain/Ski-Resort.aspx

Indeed it does have slow chairs (in fact a few years back they replaced the old 3 seater fixed grip with a new, errr, 4 seater fixed grip!), but go skiing there and you will see why this really isn't a problem.
Like cruising the kms - probably best not bother.

We knew it would be special on the first day we turned up. Sat in the lodge at the bottom trying to match up the map to the slopes - the bunny slope would be a black anywhere else! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whistler/Blackcombe Very Happy Unreal tree runs, and great lift system!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most of Austria.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dare i mention la tania, lots of lovely cruising runs there
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

dare i mention la tania, lots of lovely cruising runs there

You beat me to it.
also all the runs down to Le Praz.

IMHO, you've probably found the best French tree line skiing that gets reasonable snow in Les Arcs, also the other side of the valley round Montchavin and then across round montalbert. Serre chevalier someone else has mentioned was quite nice for that, probably as good as Arcs now I think of it. I found Hochfugen to be rather nice this christmas and Zell am Ziller too, although not quite as treey. Don't have any experience of the rest of austria.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 18-01-13 9:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nearly all of les carroz runs are tree lined, lower part of samoens to vercland (but a bit low) and most of morillon
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Nearly all of les carroz runs are tree lined, lower part of samoens to vercland (but a bit low)

Yes, I'd forgotten those, quite pretty they are.

Anyone spotted the recurring theme? "Low", hmm, snow doesn't always like that.
ski holidays
stuarth, I did think it looked a lovely place. I have a relative who lives on Salt Spring Island - one day I might manage a trip out there!

Quote:

Anyone spotted the recurring theme? "Low", hmm, snow doesn't always like that.

Yes, well, trees don't like "high". That's why you really need somewhere with a mix of different slopes, different altitudes, different aspects. So you can choose your itinerary according to the weather.

Not that the presence of absence of trees is just about altitude. In the Arly valley, for example, the ski slopes are on the "shady" side of the valley which is why they will mostly be open till 12 April - sometimes great snow till end of season, sometimes pretty grotty conditions by then. But the sunny side of the valley, at the same altitude, has far fewer trees as it has been settled and farmed for centuries, and is mostly open pasture. No ski slopes on that side (though there are, further down the valley in Combloux, and very fine ones too if you are lucky with snow conditions)
snow conditions
Risoul in France is supposed to have lots of tree lined runs. Going in a few weeks so will report back on tree-ness.
ski holidays
Having just come back I'd say the Sella Ronda area, especially this area around San Cassiano...

latest report
kitenski, that looks rather nice. snowHead
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, +1, Kitzbuhel especially good
latest report
Sauze has plents of tree lined runs as does the majority of the Milky way.
ski holidays
Quote:

Risoul in France is supposed to have lots of tree lined runs.

Just wondered why Risoul gets mention on these discussions, but never its larger partner Vars rarely does.
snow report
About 50% of the pistes in Sainte Foy are tree-lined. Tree-line is at 2000m here.
ski holidays
Try Schladming in Austria. 120km of pistes all tree-lined.

http://www.planai.at/winter/en/Home.html

And a few photos here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1727938&highlight=#1727938
(the last ones, open slopes are from Bad Gastein)
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Having just come back I'd say the Sella Ronda area, especially this area around San Cassiano...

Agree with that having also recently been there.

Quite like Serre Che too.
latest report
johnE, probably because UK TOs go to Risoul more than Vars. And people seem to ski both areas from each of Risoul and Vars. Would agree that Vars looks good from the tree POV, too.
latest report
soberade, Serre Chevalier has lots of tree-lined runs. Largest larch forest in Europe is staring at me from my terrace this afternoon where I am clearing up our stuff before we head home tomorrow.
ski holidays
Les Carroz and Morillon get my vote... Still liked Peisey/Vallandry but IMO not as nice as the GM area... kitenski, and Chasseur, Would be very interested in hearing a report on your trips as was thinking about doing the Sella Ronda area next year... Feel free to PM me with details ... Smile Pleeeeeaaaseeeee Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlpineAddict, some info from my trip to Arabba

The sH Birthday Bash has been to Arabba for a few years now - I'm sure there'll be loads of info via the search function.....if you can get around all the drinking and banter Laughing
latest report
AlpineAddict, no real trip report as just a flying visit, 2 pics here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93575&start=200#2199304

and loads of info in that whole thread....

+ inside out have been there twice: http://www.insideoutskiing.com/gallery/dolomitesphotos.html
snow conditions
kitenski, Is San Cassiano a good base for the Sella Ronda area, or would you suggest being closer into it all, like in Arabba for example?
snow report
AlpineAddict, no idea, only ever been there once and we didn't do the circuit so have nothing to compare it against Smile

Someone we spoke to in the hotel said you could do the circuit from SC in approx 5 hours.

I chose San Cassiano as I was taking a very nervous friend and the whole immediate area is made up of easy blues!

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
kitenski, Thx for this buddy... Have been eyeing the Dolomites up for yrs but my friends are very much 'French' resort goers... Think it is time to persuade them... :)The whole place looks lovely...

PS. soberade, Sorry for the thread hijack... I'll shut up now Very Happy
ski holidays
The Les Gets side of Morzine has plenty of trees, and a pass there is much cheaper than the whole of the Portes de Soleil pass.
latest report
The best trees are on the lower slopes.
snow report
Selva/Val Gardena - spent 3 days there last week due to better visibility and shelter in the trees.

AlpineAddict, Sella Ronda is easily doable from San Cassiano - it takes about half an hour or so to get into the circuit from there.
snow conditions
Empty tree lined runs in Val Cenis Today; probably tomorrow as well ! Ski pass 130 euro !
snow report
Thanks everyone for their responses, plenty of food for thought there.
have done Morzine/Les Get before, liked that side, very interested in Austria or Italy...

Quote:

Try Schladming in Austria. 120km of pistes all tree-lined.

http://www.planai.at/winter/en/Home.html

Been looking at the piste map: http://affiliate.skiamade.com/en/winter/skiresorts/slopespanorama?zoom=79
Looks good, realised that when i was 7 I had my first ski trip and that was to Radstadt.
How do you link between the different areas of the mountains where there is no obvious link, was it by bus, and was it a case of selecting one area to do for the day, then select another for next day, rather than try to bus two areas in a day?

Re Slope grading in Austria - I see a lot of reds on the piste map...are they more like easy motorway reds, low gradient (graded as tricky blues elsewhere) as opposed to steep Reds?
have the OH to think of Happy

cheers again everyone, am also taking a look into Grand Massif, and Sella Ronda...
ski holidays
soberade, Aprox 120km pistes will include Hauser Kaibling, Schladming, Hochwurzen and Reiteralm - they are connected by lifts, no need for ski buses.
Although we sometimes took one if we preferred to start/or finish the day on particular mountain rather than ski there or back.

On your link on far sides you can see Pruggern and Forsau, you will have to take bus to them but they are small and I don't think you will even consider you need to go there.

Main 4 mountains are plenty for a week.

Reds are mostly easy, my OH always prefers blue but she had no problems at all. Saying this we did no ski back to Schladming town on the world cup slope. (not sure maybe it is black anyway).
Left mountain - Hauser will have some nice blue slopes, but really the rest is fine as well.

Report with photos from German forum: http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinforum.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D46%26t%3D46058%26sid%3D2ac66526609ef8bcfe3b7dba7fe5c79d

We also liked another part of Ski Amade which again will have mostly tree runs - Flachau - and ski Zauchensee by short bus ride and Wagrain - connected by new gondola next year.
I think I would rate it slightly higher for variety. Specially Zauchensee is brilliant.

All of them only 1h from Salzburg.

http://affiliate.skiamade.com/en/winter/skiresorts/slopespanorama?zoom=79 - Horrible piste map.
http://www.bergfex.com/flachau/
http://www.bergfex.com/wagrain/
http://www.bergfex.com/zauchensee/

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 22-01-13 8:36; edited 2 times in total
snow report
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Megève (until now).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy