Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Groin Strain...... :-(

Poster: A snowHead
Was down the a gym today doing the usual pre fitness routine but the only thing I did different today was use the abductor machine before the adductor machine, the first was fine at max weights and 3 reps of 15. When I got on the adductor machine, as soon as I started to squeeze to get the pressure on I felt a muscle or tendon starting to go. I stopped immediately and that was then end of my session; thankfully it was the last exercise I had planned.
Just wondering how much damage I have done? Gonna knock the gym on the head for a few days to see if I either detiorate or get better. Probably wont do that excise again though, not before i go away anyways. Only 10 days to Mayerhofen, so hopefully there is not too much damage done and it will be ok. Anyone had similar injury? If so how long to recovery?

Andy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did a groin after skiing last year, just before the cricket season. I'm an old git, and it took about 3 weeks to get over, but the good news is that the recommendation is to keep fairly active (after the initial RICE stuff).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that, I'm getting on a bit my self but I'm wearing well by keeping active. Sometimes I reckon my brain wants to write cheques that my body can't cash Toofy Grin
It may have been a bit of that today with my planned final push for the last week. See how I feel tomorrow then decide whether to get back into it, albeit with caution.

Andy. Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AJQ,

Unless it's serious I think you will probably be OK skiing. Just don't go bouncing down too many mountains wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Musher, not planning on bouncing anywhere..... But we all take a tumble occasionally, just hope that mine are a wee bit more occasional Happy

Andy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good news is that it seems to be much better today, had a chat with Sports Injury guy down the Gym( just went for a Sauna) he told me to stay off of various machines including my favourites, the reverse rolling staircase and the cross trainer??? Sad((
That's where I build up my cardio, stamina and quads..... Sad((( But to ride the cycle machines instead.

I have been at it all year so I guess a week off shouldn't be that bad?

Andy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AJQ, I have skied with a groin strain before. Probably not a great idea but it was much easier skiing than walking with it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AJQ wrote:
the abductor machine before the adductor machine,

... people still use those? Thought it was known as the most useless piece of equipment a gym could have. :-S

Edit: Think the above sounded more catty than intended. But meant with genuine surprise - they're pretty much a waste of workout time.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 23-01-13 19:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OliviaDB,

At the induction oft he first gym I ever went to, after not being shown how to use them I asked "What are they for then, how do you use them?". The trainer said "don't worry about them, they're for women".
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, I can see why but looking at some of the Vids on You Tube, there is an exercise that involves standing on two cloths or tea towels and sort of doing a partial splits then bringing your legs together again, doing several reps of this. I thought that using this machine would probably be of more use as you could adjust the weight . I actually had no problems whatsoever doing this over the last 6 months at max weight, I think it was only 60 Kgs though, so am at a bit of a loss as to why I have had the sprain now. I can only think that it was the fact that I did this exercise after the other one instead of before ???

On a brighter note, I think that I may have caught it before having serious damage, as I have been able to walk OK after day2 without any feeling of pulling or tenderness. On some of my basic stretching exercises , I feel a slight pull so don't push it any further. Last two days in Gym were OK and nothing untoward wrt my normal routine, gave it a miss today but will go for a final session tomorrow, again taking things easy as I have the last couple of times. Really looking forward to hitting the slopes on Sunday again Happy

Andy Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also got to say that both those exercise machines are great if you are into Martial Arts, which I was a few yews ago until I trashed my Ham String in a Water Sking accident.......... Yeah I know........what the hell was I thinking of..... Water Skiing, never again, it is the Devils Own Sport Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also got to say that both those exercise machines are great if you are into Martial Arts, which I was a few years ago until I trashed my Ham String in a Water Sking accident.......... Yeah I know........what the hell was I thinking of..... Water Skiing, never again, it is the Devils Own Sport Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AJQ wrote:
Yep, I can see why but looking at some of the Vids on You Tube, there is an exercise that involves standing on two cloths or tea towels and sort of doing a partial splits then bringing your legs together again, doing several reps of this.

... sounds like a recipe for injury to me. :-S

I'd have to consult my higher power, but I believe squats and lunges will do these muscles too, and are much better for you overall (if done properly!). Being seated means it's working an action you'll never use in real life.
Have heard that the abd/add machines may actually cause issues, as they isolate muscles which normally (and should be) work in tandem with others. Sad for knees.

But hurrah for not being injured. Don't do it again!

Edit: And my martial arts background is BJJ and traditional jiu-jitsu. None of the practitioners of which would be seen dead on those machines. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did Karate and Tae Kwon Do. I won't be using those machines again though Happy
I'll stick to squats, lunges, Rolling Staircase and bench press, raises etc Happy

Andy .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AJQ wrote:
I did Karate and Tae Kwon Do. I won't be using those machines again though Happy
I'll stick to squats, lunges, Rolling Staircase and bench press, raises etc Happy

Andy .

The almost complete opposites. Happy

Which reminds me ... I should do some squats.
Hate exercise that's JUST that. ... *mumble chunter*
ski holidays
Yin & Yang Very Happy
snow report
OliviaDB, My physio suggested I use these machines to correct a muscular imbalance that she believes is resulting in poor patella tracking. I didn't follow her advice so can't comment on their effectiveness but maybe they aren't completely useless.
snow report
justatheory wrote:
OliviaDB, My physio suggested I use these machines to correct a muscular imbalance that she believes is resulting in poor patella tracking. I didn't follow her advice so can't comment on their effectiveness but maybe they aren't completely useless.

Hmm ... I can see that - as the flip side of those comments that they can CAUSE poor patella tracking, if you have it, and use them right, they probably can pull the other way. But that highlights the risks of using them in general.
latest report
OliviaDB, Every weights room I've ever been in has at least 70% of the users with no f'n idea of how to use the equipment safely or effectively rolling eyes
snow conditions
I have been going to this Gym for the last 15 years and got a great intro all all the machines they had by one of the Personal Trainers. I'm happy enough using these. I just think that perhaps I was unlucky this time around. poo-poo Happens. I shan't be using those two machines again though, all the others are fine Smile

Andy.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 24-01-13 14:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy