Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you're a good skier you can ski anything with anything...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Saw this on UKC and had to repost because the guys so amazingly bad-ass yet humble about it.

Freddy skis on a pair of Dynastar Altitrail Powder skis. They are a pretty unlikely ski to tackle the steeps with, even Dynastar describes them ‘a good choice for tourers wanting a ski that’s light, stable and great fun on the way down’. Hardly a rousing endorsement for ground breaking first descents! This is a ski that when you Google it, the first search returned describes how the ski explodes unexpectedly and should be recalled. His boots are Scarpa F1 Rando race boots. This lightweight boot is made for fast touring with a front bellows like a telemark boot. This boot is so flexible you have to put a spacer under it between the binding toe and heel so that its flexible sole will not collapse down onto the ski. When you front point in them they bend like a banana. With the boots held in place with a pair of Dynafit Tourlite bindings (picture a dodgy C clamp) this setup would be perfect for a nice day touring in the Pisa. Perhaps that is how he climbed Cook return to Plateau Hut in four and a half hours. Freddy’s ski poles have large leather powder baskets held on with medical tape.
http://climber.co.nz/81/feature/accidental-extreme-skiing-tourist
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Yeah, at the summit I went up the north side but it was really icy and with only one axe and with ski boots it was really hard to climb so at the top I looked for a better way to ski down. I went down to the right of the summit and the snow was much better. The traverse back to Engineer Col was okay but when I got to my stuff I thought I was too tired to go to Pioneer Hut so I went back to Plateau. I didn’t pay much attention in the morning on the way up and below Engineer Col I could not see my tracks from the morning and I got lost in the ice fall. I was almost back to the Plateau but the bridges were very bad. It was terrible, I was scared."

I'm surprised that Frank4Short and the usual suspects on UKC haven't condemned him yet, told us all he's lucky to be alive, that his types give the sport a bad name, that the skiing would have actually been really easy but that since he wasn't a fellow ski god, he had endangered the lives of the rescue services and then posted it on to davidof at pistehors for more of the same.

Still, it's only been on UKC for an hour. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moffatross, I think I should be reading UKC today while convalescing. Sounds entertaining.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, it gets at its best when someone innocently asks about the grading of some trad route, the ethics of using mats to protect the start of trad routes, anything to do with bolting, dry tooling, was it wintery enough for this ascent. Basically if you think there is some self-righteous posting here it's one hundred times worse over there but very entertaining.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unbe - fkn - lievable!

And he wants to do the Caroline Face too!!! I think it was first climbed only in the early 70s.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Probably best to start your own thread rather than hijacking another. I can recommend the Teton Gravity Research forums as a valuable source of advice, however.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
meh, Brilliant. A very cool guy.

Quote:
So let me get this right, on the steepest part of the east face you were having a hard time holding an edge, so with one ice axe you took your skis off and put your crampons on?

Yes, it was pretty hard.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, amazing guy! Shocked

Icebox, Start your own thread, but don't listen to Serriadh, TGR shoot down people who ask questions like that. No special level of experience is required. The technique is not basically different. Take some lessons.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Classic. That's the way to do it Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy