Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance for off-piste

Poster: A snowHead
I have been using the Ski Club Insurance for a few seasons. As I rarely use the site anymore I am wondering if there is much use in remaining a member just to use its ski insurance (the reason I joined in the first place)

I need a joint, annual insurance, covering multiple snowsports trips totalling 50-60 days a season, skiing and boarding, off-piste (including hiking out-of-resort) as well some on-piste.

Oh - and cheap.

Ski Club fitted the bill and were much cheaper than snowcard.

Any suggestions would be very welcome
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's been quite a lot of discussion about insurance, both here and in the club site. Cheapest is not necessarily what you want if you find yourself making a claim. If you are still a SCGB member, have a look at this thread. Also, dig around the forum here. Also consider if you are likely to ski off-piste without a formally-qualified guide.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually cheap was a little bit jokey on my part - sorry.

I spoke to SCGB and ran out of questions when checking what I was covered for. Anything seemed to be the reply.

When I ski out of resort it is always with a registered guide.

In addition I get a 20Euro season-long helicopter rescue insurance from St Anton.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even in St Anton itself you might be skiing off-piste without a guide. Long time since I have been there, but I remember skiing an itinerary there - reasonably well-known, but off-piste. If you can be sure you really never will be skiing off-piste without a guide, there are quite a few options - as I said, search Snowheads, you'll find a bunch. OK - maybe start here.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You are correct. I ski off-piste in resort every day I am there. Often without a guide. Like a vast amount of people - possibly even the majority - for many, many people in St Anton in particular, ski off-piste. It may be an itinerary or between pistes or alongside but the majority I would say, ski off-piste at some time or another.

Now for the major part I ski with a guide, even in resort.

I was led to believe (and it is a good time to check) that my insurance covers me for skiing off-piste in a patrolled area, without the need to ski with a guide.

Whether it does or does not will not affect my skiing of those areas. I just need to know. Thanks - I'll have a look at the links ....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick Zotov, just scanned the SCGB thread for 10 mins. Thanks very much. You would think, with 11,000 policyholders registered that some official comment would be made wouldn't you.

I may be asking for a refund of my SCGB premium soon .... Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
B00thy, You may find out some more information here regarding options as there have been some good snowHead posts Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Bernard Condon
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try www.dogtag.co.uk
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My insurance renewal letter arrived this week and it does cover (it claims) skiing off-piste without a guide but only 31 days (I know some people will hate me for saying only 31 days but I need 40-50 covered).

I'm wondering if anyone has finally found the panacea

For the time being I'll look at dogtag
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a look at dogtag

They have a maximum 24 days and looks north american oriented

Off to look at Bernard's link
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
B00thy, I know they have been criticised but try www.direct-travel.co.uk
Aslo see this thread
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
... and back from Bernard's link - not conclusive but I am swaying back to the SCGB policy after all I've read. It covers off-piste, it pays claims (I know, I've claimed succesfully in the past).

Before I do I'll check out the SCGB forum again and BMC
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
B00thy, Might be worth looking at http://www.snowcard.co.uk/ they're a bit complicated with different combinations and permutations of sports and durations and I suspect a bit pricey but there's an online quote avialable so easy to check out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DogTag's cover is comprehensive and the fact that it is web-enabled makes it attractive. But...

I had a very long, drawn out claim experience with DogTag earlier this year - all over a relatively minor claim for £40 for resort/piste closure (caused by avalanches closing off an access road for a couple of days). Pretty unambiguous (and easily verifiable) circumstances, you'd think. But no, lots of arguing the toss. A copy of a letter from the tour operator was rejected - the claims company needed the original. Even that wasn't good enough - they then needed the original invoice from the tour operator, to prove that I'd travelled with them. Every time I provided what they wanted, they invented a new piece of evidence they required. Months of haggling later, they paid up. All of their letters were snotty and they never replied to anything within four weeks. I shudder to think how they'd have dealt with loss or damage to equipment claims. Or maybe they just frustrate small claims in the hope that they won't be pursued?

I'll be changing companies when the policy expires in January.
snow conditions
My biggest concern is over personal care rather than equipment. I want to know that if I am injured on the mountain that there will be no quibble in using or paying for the local helicopter rescue service, air ambulance repatriation etc. as my girlfriend and I both ski off-piste and I additionally ski out of resort (in Europe) the latter with a guide at all times. I also need 40+ days cover which dogtag does not provide does it?
ski holidays
B00thy, Snowcard does up to 6 weeks skiing in a multrip annual travel package including all the usual helicopter rescue stuff and repatriation. Off piste with or without guide (level3 cover).

The bad news £130+ Sad
latest report
rich, it's looking like Snowcard. Is that £130+ including me bird?
snow report
B00thy,
Quote:

rich, it's looking like Snowcard. Is that £130+ including me bird?

Generally I believe that they only insure people Laughing

I looked at Snowcard this time round, came to £160 for 2 adults European cover, and removing Personal Posessions from their policy Shocked
snow report
snowbunny wrote:

Generally I believe that they only insure people Laughing

surely they must insure snowbunnies
snow conditions
snowbunny, whatcha mean

snowbunny wrote:
... removing Personal Posessions from their policy

Puzzled
snow conditions
B00thy,
Quote:

snowbunny, whatcha mean

snowbunny wrote:
... removing Personal Posessions from their policy

Snowcard, along with many other insurers, give policyholders opportunity to customise their policies, if your personal posessions are already covered by your Home Contents Insurance. Why pay twice for the same cover. I hope this helps Very Happy
Quote:

surely they must insure snowbunnies

I shall be disguised as a fat middle aged woman this winter, don't tell wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy