Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what level of skiier are you? a true scale.

Poster: A snowHead
while reading the post on the best ski boot fitter in the uk i was interested to see that some one described them selves as a level 8 out of 10.

so how would a scale of one to 10 really work?
If a true god like Palender or dean cummings is at 10 where would someone with say less than 100 fis point be?
where would a internatinal instructors licence put you?

and lastly where would us mortals truely be.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pups, Hi Pups, welcome probably belatedly to Snowheads.

"What level of skier are you?" - oh no, not again.

I refer you to...this thread "How good a skier are you?.

There are more - while I think the topic has had a pretty good bashing, if you peruse what has gone before and have a new angle, bring it on!!

Then again, there's always an excuse for more heated debate!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ever had that feeling of deja vu
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rich, Ever had that feeling of deja vu?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does it really matter, nobody can ski that hill for you so all that matters is do you enjoy what you do...!!

I've skied for quite a long time - I'm still cr@p - and I am trying to stay really keen.
Sometimes its dead easy, sometimes we have to do quite silly things to get our kicks.

I can get quite jaded about it sometimes...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm a slow typer and infrequent refresher Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT,
Quote:

Sometimes its dead easy, sometimes we have to do quite silly things to get our kicks.

Well go on then, do tell us Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time, ................... I think I've forgotten this before.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before hehehe Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yup - do tell - I love being silly I do!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sorry for causing the whole deja vu fealing.
the question was meant to be more on the lines the "scale" rather than an attempt at self deprication.
was just interested to see that some one thought of them self as X. but could not for the life of me see how this could fit in to any reasonable scale.
it then logically begged the question do how we think abilities have any real bearing to what the really are.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny,

You're in a funny mood tonight....!!

Silly things...?? anything with a rope...!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT,
Quote:

Silly things...?? anything with a rope...!!!

We are talking ski mountaineering here, I hope?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny,

might be....!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, Some of us are still waiting for the details of how you get your kicks, and what you do with the rope........ Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowbunny,

Face down and fully harnessed...!!
snow conditions
pups, i'm sorry, because I seem to have started the thread off in a mis-direction when you asked a perfectly reasonable and sensible question. And one (that you probably have gathered) that the Sh collective has put much multi-threaded effort into effing. (As in "ineffable"...) My wholehearted apologies.

Anyway I had a wee ponder on the way to work. One basic question is "Why do you want a scale?". If it's to guide you through buying ski kit (and you don't know much about skiing), the Snow and Rock one is as good as any. If it's to massage your ego, well you might as well have a scale of 1 to 4. 1=Never skied, 2=everyone else, 3=where you think you are, 4=those few mortals better than you.

The problem is that one is trying to reduce a multi-dimensional problem to one dimension and it just doesn't fit.

So you are quite right to say "could not for the life of me see how this could fit in to any reasonable scale". I don't believe there's any way to squeeze the distribution of skills, talents and abilities like that (IMHO). It would be entirely reasonable to propose a (or at least, I can think of one!) 1-100 scale where most recreational skiers would still be somewhere around 6-7. It's a very non-normal distribution I reckon.

It does logically beg that very question and my intuition is that folks are generally not very good at self-determination of ability.
ski holidays
The well-trained scientist bit of me (ok, so the undergrad degree in psych research bit of me) thinks that a scale is invaluable for professionals who need a basepoint reference to use, IN CONJUCTION with other multiple criteria, when they carry out the unenviable task of shoe-horning someone into a category/diagnosis. Which would apply to ski instructors, boot fitters, and equipment floggers.
So to that extent professionals tend to view a frame of refence (i.e a scale) as a necessary evil.

However the recreational skier in me dreads other recreational skiers who act as if a scale of 1-to-anything is an accurate reflection of their actual skill level.

As David Murdoch suggests, developing a scale all depends on the WHY, not the how.

pups for me, a scale of 1 - 10 works like this (IMHO): I watch someone ski. Then I grade them according to my internal logic scale of "would I feel safe skiing with this person down the itinerary I have planned for today".
1 being absolutely not, and 10 being I hope I don't hold them up.
snow conditions
Why do people want a scale? A variety of reasons but I would think the two majo ones are;

1) To realistically assess their skill for equipment or guiding
2) To have something to shout about.

In my experience, the better you get at skiing, the worse you say you are, since you ski with better and better people all the time. In comparison to the people I ski most with, who do 250+ days skiing a year, I am a no mark. That said, we are skiing things that most holiday skiers think are insane. If I meet someone and they ask me 'are you a good skier', I usually just say 'I ski quite a lot'.
snow report
flicksta wrote:
In my experience, the better you get at skiing, the worse you say you are

This is probably true. By the way, I'm an AWFUL skier Very Happy
ski holidays
alan empty,

I can't ski
ski holidays
flicksta, quite. The better I get the harder it is to get better and the further I realise I have to go to get where I want to be. Keeps it all fun.

Manda, I think it's now too hard to define a scale. I think 20 years ago it was easier as there was a much more (not completely) linear path from beginner to racer. Side exits (off piste, touring, the park, etc.) were just minor deviations along that path (or didn;t exist). Now there are so many diversions that it's kind of hard to have a scale; example, I know an ex-"high level" downhiller who really isn't that hot in bumps or powder. So what? Does the world champion speed skier or freestyle ballet artist deserve a "10" for "free" skiing? Maybe or maybe not...

But at a recreational level where one is still probably looking at monolinear development, yes, fair enough and you're back to the S&R scale and anyone who I would class as a very good skier is in the "10" bucket or effectively off the scale.
latest report
Off topic!!

JT,
Quote:

snowbunny,

Face down and fully harnessed...!!

I guess that you must mean you go Rap Running Very Happy I would love to try.
ski holidays
Just skim read that epic "How good a skier are you?" thread from May. Hilarious.
snow report
snowbunny,

No, I don't do that. I just mean that I'm comfortable being on a rope. I am not a keen climber -my ski buddies are - but I need to be able to cope with being on a rope as we need to have them from time to time.

I like steep stuff and some of the entries might require a a roped drop-in, in fact the guide may well insist on it whether you think so or not. And thats why I like ropes..!!!
ski holidays
JT... MMMMMMmmmmmmmm!!!!! - 50m Stratos 9mm dry treated with internal braided core snowHead

Climbing and skiing kit!!!! Can life get much better? Puzzled
snow report
I am fantastic at skiing.

Sorry that was me over exagerating again. I am OK but not brilliant. Piste skiing is to a good level but never been properly off piste. (unless you count an uncontrolled crash just off the edge of a piste!!!!!!!)
ski holidays
See here, the site is in Italian but the demo videos are S.E. , right?

Lowest to highest are
Base Bronze (or Bronze 1)
Advanced Bronze Advanced (Bronze 2)
Base Silver (Silver 1)
Advanced Silver (Silver 2)
Base Gold (Gold 1)
Advanced Gold (Gold 2)
Freeride (is off the official ability classification)
And since we're in Italy, I've read "rumors" of an un-official "Gold 3" (Ski instructor or professional racer)

http://www.amsao.it/main.php?curr_l...livelli=&tip=21
Matteo, nice to see you again! snowHead

I think this was what you were trying to link to...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa,
Quote:

Climbing and skiing kit!!!! Can life get much better?

No snowHead
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson, Yes, that's it; sorry for the mistake Embarassed . Thanks for helping out and for the welcome back. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy