Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton with Esprit (Pepi Gabl)

Poster: A snowHead
We've just booked a March holiday to St Anton with Esprit (as we have a 1 and a 3 year old and need the childcare) staying at Chalet Pepi Gabl. Very excited but can't find any reviews online so wondered if anyone else has stayed there? Mind you, I only want to hear good things! The other thing is, I am an intermediate skiier so slightly worried I'll be out of my depth. It does look amazing though. Anyone got any advice on great bars/restaurants/places to go/runs to try? (Bearing in mind we're not the hardcore party animals we once used to be!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A couple of snowheads are out there this week. I am waiting for their reports when they come back as we are going out there mid April. There are reviews on trip advisor but they are somewhat mixed.

Is it your first time with Esprit?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes saw the review on TripAdvisor - I guess it changes every season though with new staff etc and the one from 2013 was good! We've done a trip with Esprit before and enjoyed it - at Belle Plagne. We did DIY at Morzine last year (booked a local nursery for the kids) and it was good but we want to be able to relax a bit more and have a few drinks this year!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I believe the Belle Plagne place is there flag ship hotel and is supposed to be better in terms of quality furnishings etc. we went with them to Courchevel 1850 (Crystal 2000) and had a great time when my girls were 1 and 4. Incidentally that is where I met the couple that are out there now. This year they are 6 and 3 so both will be skiing. Very exciting.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cool - hope they have an amazing time, look forward to reading their report - it'll be on here, right? My son is 3 but we've decided not to put him into Spritelets, as if he feels pressurised, he just flatly refuses to do what's asked of him. Made for a fairly embarrassing pre-school Nativity show this year actually! He clearly felt the world just wasn't ready for his interpretation of 'stable mouse' Shocked ....Anyway, we're just going to take him out onto the slopes if he asks us to, apparently they take them out sledging and so in in Esprit 'normal' nursery anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It better be good really - Esprit is flippin' expensive! Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That is why we are going mid April as that was what we could afford. It's a double wammy thing not only is the basic holiday price cheaper but the child discounts are higher for that first and last week of the season. So Keira is free and Ellie was at 40% of brochure price (something like that). Next year that last week if the season is in school holidays so they have ramped the price up and aren't giving those good child discounts. So I have booked with Mark Warner for next year as they are coming up with a descent price for that week and as next year Ellie will be into Juniors and I don't know if the head will allow me to take her out of school and given that I can afford a school holiday week by going through mark Warner I have booked it.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 16-01-13 20:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mrsangel, I went to St Anton for the first time last year and loved it, so much so I'm going back twice this year.

As an intermediate you'll be fine, yes there is more challenging terrain, with a lot more itinerary runs but I didn't find the difficulty of the pisted runs much different from elsewhere.

The one part that stood out for me was the 'White Ring' in Lech/Zurs, search the internet for it, a great way to see much of the Lech/Zurs valley and fine for intermediate skiers.

From memory the Pepi Gabl is almost right next door to the Nasserein lift so perfect for getting up into the St Anton pistes, and close enough to stroll into the centre. I've not stayed in it but have used Esprit 3 times when the kids were younger and never disappointed. For Lech/Zurs you'll need to get the bus, but they're regular and efficient.

You'll have a blast

Brian
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oooh thanks Brian - I'll look it up now. I'm super-excited - I've never been to Austria (only ever skiied in France) and my husband has never skiied (well, boarded) there. Looking forward to checking out the restaurant that apparently you can drunkenly toboggan back from, or something like that!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nicky - I never thought of checking out Mark Warner! If it's slightly less dear, I will check it out for next year.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mrsangel, the building used to be run by Inghams until after the 2010/2011 season, and then got changed to Esprit. If my memory serves correct.. it was just called the Pepi back then and used to be a Hotel. I have no idea if the owner still lives in or not, but I imagine not given his vivid personality.

The building is literally 10m from the Nassereinbahn and the children ski school drop off point. Also close to where the sledding track stops, and there's a fair few bars and restaurants in that area. About a 10 minute walk to the core St Anton town, and 15 to Galzigbahn. Building was in good shape back then.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The owner still lives in.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sitter, Laughing that's amazing. He must be the source of a few complaints..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dear. Vivid personality = raging alcoholic?! Say it ain't so!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was wondering same thing please enlighten us.

Btw mrsangel, I have sent you a PM
ski holidays
Quote:

I never thought of checking out Mark Warner! If it's slightly less dear, I will check it out for next year.

From my experience I doubt Mark Warner would generally be cheaper than Esprit. Both have provided great service to me and, although not a bargain, Esprit has been good value. I'd recommend the bus ride to Lech/Zurs for intermediate skiing. Also the smaller Rendl mountain is good for a first day warm-up if conditions are suitable. St Anton can definitely be challenging, as piste grooming not quite so comprehensive as in more family-friendly resorts. Enough stuff of all grades to keep all happy though. Austria has a different feel to France and IMO St Anton is the best Austria has to offer. Wish I was there now! Oh and the Hospiz Alm hotel at St Christoph is reasonably easy to ski to/from. Good for a (not cheap) drink stop or snack and Austrian atmosphere. Kids love the slide down from the ground floor to the basement too. Apres ski near the base of the mountain and in town later is boisterous to say the least.
latest report
intermediate, some weeks they come up more for the week beginning 13 April Mark Warner are coming up a LOT cheaper. They are much easier to check though as they allow you to cost it up properly on there website such Esprit have always frustrated me that you can't easily cost up the holiday of their website.
ski holidays
Quote:

Esprit have always frustrated me that you can't easily cost up the holiday of their website.

Yes NickyJ I agree Esprit tend to show a lowish initial price and then find lots of added extras, some of which I thought were unreasonable supplements. I sometimes protested to them about that but it seemed to continue as their policy. Nevertheless I was always satisfied with the many holidays we had with Esprit. Certainly if typical Mark Warner package deal was coming up cheaper than comparable Esprit one then I think it would be very good value. My feeling is that Esprit edged it over MW on childcare but MW was better on food, although obviously variable from place to place and year to year.
snow report
intermediate, I think I have sussed it now on calculating what it will come to, it is the way thy present the prices and discounts etc that makes it tricky to work out if you go by the prices shown on the website then apply the child's discount you get the wrong answer you need to find the brochure prices to apply the child discounts to, but take the website prices for the adult prices but sometimes I found once that they put UP the brochure prices for a certain week after printing the preview brochure and before printing the main brochure.

Don't get me wrong I went with them last time we were able to go Dec 2010 and had a fantastic time and we are booked to go with them in April to the place this thread is about. I just personally thing they were would do themselves a huge favour by setting up the website so that you can easily cost up the different weeks, trying out the different rooms and options which I like to do before deciding am i prepared to pay the extra for x,y or z.
ski holidays
NickyJ, yes that would really help, in fact just having a basic online booking system would help. I also find their ski packs quite expensive if you have some of your own gear. Eg its actually cheaper for us to hire 2 adult ski/boot/pole combos as we get free childrens gear. Despite all of us havng our own boots and only really require 2 sets of adult skis, and 2 sets of childrens skis.

We could probably get cheaper at a shop in town, but as the hotel in 1850 is by the alitport and has its own ski hire shop in the building (as you now) its just easier this way.
ski holidays
We we there last week
6 th winter with esprit
Chalet is very good
Never saw an "owner" during the whole week
Childcare staff good
Chalet staff particularly good this year
Kids had lots of fun
Lots of skiing for intermediates
Right next to Nasserein gondola
Food was good to very good all week
Would go back

Might do more detailed review later but I've seriously got manful and am freezing so can hardly type

Never been able to find a MW holiday cheaper than esprit
The main costs that everyone complains about are the various child are costs - depends how much you want to force your kids to ski with you or whether you want to keep them in their room while you have dinner ornto send them off for another couple of hours of child are/ play.

The latter paragraph suits some and not others and vice versa; live and let live and al that.

Must admit I find the tiny supplements (room and airport supplements) which seem harsh if you book late and there is no choice which room you have or what airport you can fly from
ski holidays
Quote:

I've seriously got manful

Is that a bit like being masterful?
ski holidays
Depends whether the man likes that or not ..

Blooming spellcheck

M a n f l u
ski holidays
sev112, what was the location like?? As I'm thinking of going there next year but good chance that my wife won't be skiing so could do with being handy for town etc?
snow conditions
sev112, Laughing hope you feel better soon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy