Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dyspraxia to ski or to board

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My nine year old is dyspraxic but is keen to start snow sports. My wife and I are skiers, but he fancies boarding. What would be easier to pick up?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
grant, Taught some to ski with it, they learnt by emulation I found, so need to be behind the instructor, most had little fear and were always egging me on to go faster or why don't we go through those trees?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for that
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually i think snowboarding is easier than skiing but then if you are learning to ski the instructor will put like a ski bra on so they can only do snowplough and cant excape. If they want to board book a boarding lesson
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
grant,
I think it will depend on how much he wants it and how much perseverence he has. Snowboarding involves lots of falls for even the most balance savvy spatially aware person. If he is the sort of kid who can just get on with it, fall, get up, fall etc then great, if not perhaps skis would involve fewer bruises/opportunities for tantrums. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
grant, difficult one, I'd suggest maybe having a taster lesson of each before deciding, let him try boarding first since that's what he's keen to do, I'm really not sure which would be harder to learn for someone with dyspraxia, as lilywhite, says snowboarding involves lost of falling especially at first and with both feet clamped to a board this could give problems, but on the other hand skiing may actually require better coordination which might make it harder to achieve, sorry I can't be more help and good luck Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good advice, if the conditions remain good a morning trip to Glenshee beckons over the next couple of weekends, I'll keep y'all posted
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would be interested to see how he goes with this, and I really hope he can do it!!. Talking a fair bit older mind - my 19 year old friend is fairly dyspraxic - he is ok walking, working on his computers etc, but really struggles to ride a bike. He would like to give snowboarding a go? He is a tough lad, easily able to take plenty of falls, rolls etc. Do you think he'll be able to get into boarding? And if he really struggles with boarding, should he try skiing? It is easier having 2 independently operated planks as to one plank?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
crazy_skier_jules, my 19 year old son is dyspraxic but perhaps not seriously so as he CAN do lots of physical things that we were warned would probably be problematic i.e: activities requiring a high degree of co-ordination, such as riding a bike. He learned to ski at about 12 years old (after trying a dry slope in the UK) and loves it although I can spot him coming down the slope, form far away, due to his stance etc., - he's not the most graceful of skier but gets down, rarely if ever falls and has virtually no fear! He did try a snowboarding taster session at Chill Factore with his younger brother, but neither of them liked it - this may just have been down to the fact that they'd be starting from scratch again when they can already ski, rather than an inherent balance or co-ordination issues. You could try speaking to a Disability Snowsports instructor at your nearest fridge and they may be able to advise from a more technical standpoint Very Happy

I think the thing to keep in mind is that it's probably not impossible and if he really wants to do it, he probably will. If we'd heeded the doom and gloom we were told, or he was less determined, he may never have tried, and not doesn't only apply to skiing - he also plays golf and swims like a fish!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 12-09-13 12:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anniepen, that's great, thanks. My nearest is Chill factore or Castleford Xscape although Xscape is much easier for my friend who doesn't drive, on public transport. From your personal experience, it sounds like my friend Adam should be able to do one of the two. As he is starting from scratch he may not find boarding so frustrating. Fingers crossed!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you can, see if he can have a taster of both in the UK as that will give you an idea.

Personally, I think skiing would be marginally easier as balancing on two skis facing forward is initially easier than balancing on one edge facing sideways. Coordinating two skis will be challenging but he will still fall less when skiing, so more likely to want to keep going? It depends on his personality and perserverance levels. If he is tough, as you say, then try boarding and see.

The other year, I helped out with a boy of 13 learning to ski while on a school trip, and while the first few days he did struggle to control his skis and stop, and was behind his contemporaries in terms of progress, by the end of the week he was able to compete in the school 'slalom' race on an easy blue piste. Yes his posture was not the most efficient, but he had great fun and was so pleased with himself for digging deep and achieving.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
my niece is mildly dyspraxic and skis with a verve and enthusiasm that means I have to struggle to keep up. Her technique seems to have got better recently too, and not entirely sure how as she's not had any lessons recently

being both a boarder and a skier myself, I would have thought boarding would be better for those with lower co-ordination, as there's less to go wrong..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a dyspraxic client who does well but struggles with verbal instructions and follow me show me works well... Not sure much in it between boarding and skiing but if you two are skiers perhaps it would help your child to be able to follow you two and pick up learning that way as opposed to trying to pattern your movements on skis with a board..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy