Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in Ski Amade with nervous skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of trying the Ski Amade area out for a change. I'm not worried about the experienced blokes as they will just get on with it but where is the best place to stay to cater for the few nervous/timid skiers. Two of the girls are quite timid so we were thinking of easy , cruizy blues together with some private lessons. We were looking at Flachau/Wagrain, Zauchensee or Altenmarkt/Radstadt but not sure which is best for the timid ones.
Advise much appreciated, thank you in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm fairly sure Wagrain should fit the bill as it's good for beginners so i've heard.

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zauchensee is an easy resort and linked with Flachauwinkl and Kleinarl all have nice blue runs without having to ski the red run.

Altenmarkt/Radstadt is smaller and appears favoured by the beginners. I only passed it once but it looks good for the starters.

I rather think Flachau and Wargrain less intermediate friendly than the others as their red runs cannot be avoided if one travel across the resort. Flachau is on its own but Wagrain is linked with Alpendorf over a very long distance. No point to ski there if one does not travel the mountain.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends how timid. Unless the mountain has changed shape, Zauchensee has, in my opinion, by far the steepest runs in the region. Though there are many less steep options. Radstadt / Altenmarkt has some great cruisey runs though are limited in extent and best for the odd day, short bus ride from slopes to Altenmarkt. In general Flachau / Wagrain have easier runs and if based at Flachau then a short bus ride to flachauwinkl to access Kleinarl ~again relatively cruisey, or the backside of Zauchensee .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Radstadt/Altenmarkt and Wagrain offer the intermediates the quietest range of slopes with a good progression as they gain confidence. I would avoid Zauchensee as all the runs come down into the same area and at busy times it is a nightmare for those of us who know it well, let alone anyone who is nervous. The same is also true for Flachau, especially the intermediate area at the top of the Achter Jet where all the upper runs meet up with really no defined areas for beginners/nervous learners other than the ski kindergarten. And I've seen gangs shoot through there without a thought for the little ones.

Radstadt has a very flattering red run that drops down to the Altenmarkt side and another blue/red that drops down down to the Königslehen gondola at Radstadt. These are wonderful confidence gaining runs with very little traffic on them except at peak period and even then it is never intimidating.

In Wagrain you have access to a wide variety of slopes all served by either chairlifts or gondolas. There are no drag lifts at all that HAVE to be negotiated. At the beginning of the week when they are maybe still nervous, they can download comfortably either from the top of the Graffenberg or from halfway down where you can download on the Graffenberg Express. This avoids the steeper reds down to the base station. Once they are more confident and if conditions are good, the runs down to Wagrain are fun and if you choose the right one (Red 36 -the left-hand side starting near the top station of the Graffenberg Express), it is very flattering but has plenty of width for the most nervous of skiers. Once they have conquered that, then apart from a couple of blacks, there really are not any slopes that would be beyond them. Red 31 which is served by the Rote 8er gondola is a superb long red which has a variety of entry points according to how brave you want to feel. The direct entry to left of the top station is the steepest but shortest, then it is a very flattering and fun red and at the end a blue option through the trees brings you back to the gondola.

There are several excellent ski schools in the area and if you do decide to try it I can give you the name of several really outstanding and patient instructors who could perhaps work with the nervous skiers to help them to overcome their anxiety as well as lead them safely around the areas you have selected.

It is a gorgeous area and it is why I have stuck with it since rediscovering its potential in the late 1980s I am also going to retire to that area in a couple of years because it is such a complete area for my needs.

Toofy Grin

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 18-01-13 8:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, very helpful info. Thank you very much indeed. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also followed this , thanks for asking notsosure

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 17-01-13 10:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
what Samerberg Sue says. You'll love it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rohrmoos lower slopes are almost uphill!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Rohrmoos lower slopes are almost uphill!

In that case you should try skiing them in the opposite direction..... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
notsosure,

Leaving Frosty to his little bit of fun, actually the Rohrmoos area of Schladming is an ideal place for timid or returning skiers. There are two blue runs that merge, 37 & 38, that are long, wide, gentle, and perfectly groomed. They are great for building/re-building confidence, and there are a couple of decent restaurants on them as well. Just above these, there are a couple of modest reds as well, which are a great step up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Schladming and Rohrmoos have plenty to offer but take into account the World Championships are about to be held there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet Fez, Very little of the total area is closed off because of the racing. The problem will be finding accommodation as most has been booked up for months now.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerrburg Sue, I am aware of that as we used to always go to Schladming during the week of the night slalom ski race. Very little disruption on the moutains but as you say trying to get anywhere to stay would be a mare.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We went to Ski Amade last year and hired a car so tried a different area every day. The best areas we found for cruise blues were Muhlbach and Flachauwinkl.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy