Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spyder Jackets are they worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I happen to be in Germany this week, and came across a ski gear sale, in Galeria Kaufhoff: (I am in the market for a jacket)
Spyder Bromont mens jacket 599 euro
Spyder Esper Mens Jacket 299 euro
Spyder leader Mens Jacket 299 euro

I am considering the leader jacket.

My question does anyone have one of these jackets from the last few years, or this year? and what do you think?
Is Spyder gear really worth it? is it as good as c.300 euro (a lot of dosh)

Thanks,
Wakkitt
snow report
 cran
cran
That's quite a good price, but is it worth it?

It has a picture of a spider on, so possibly... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wakkitt, hubby bought a Spyder jacket 7 years ago, he's still wearing it (black so hasn't dated), although it is beginning to look a but shabby now. .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Might be worth it if they didn't look so gash. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally I'd go for Bogner - 1500€ for the jacket itself plus an extra 250€ if you want the furry trim for the hood, bargain. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I happened across some Spyder Dare tailored fit trousers in a sale last year and gave them a good week's worth of use recently. Very comfortable but, in my opinion, not as hardwearing or anywhere near as warm/waterproof as my previous pair (Killy) which were also bought in a sale. God, I'm such a cheapskate.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got this years Leader jacket from snowinn but won't get a chance to use it properly until next month. From memory it was about £312 delivered against £420 in Snow+Rock so 299 euro is a great price.

At the end of the day though it's just a ski jacket so all it can do is keep you warm, dry and comfortable. I'm sure it will do me fine but whether you really need such a high level of waterproofing and breathability is debatable for most of us.

The one thing I find slightly odd is that the main zip works like a ladies jacket. i.e. the zip pull is fixed to the right hand side (when wearing it). When I looked in Snow+Rock the assistant said 'yes, they're all like this now' and then proved himself wrong with every other jacket we looked at.

This years version might just have a spider picture on it but I'm looking forward to the one with the moving legs http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2260157/The-unsettling-robot-spider-dress-protect-wearer-annoying-passers-by.html . Handy for clearing space in the lift queues and poking snowboarders who dare get too close.

Very Happy

Mike
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
olderscot, many are. US brands are often have zips the wrong way. Columbia, Pearl Izumi, ... etc.

No idea if Spyder jackets are any good though. The gloves were fine, but I could use some new ones now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wakkitt, Men's Spyder Leader Jacket $199.................http://www.buckmans.com/store/spyder-leader-jacket-mens-oscaritem_14083.aspx snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a Spyder jacket - a £100 TK Maax purchase in 2008. It has done a season, and a further 10 weeks skiing plus countless dog walking hours and is still warm, dry and comfortable.. . . . . . . And is an all black number so not too 'gash, But then that is all also true for my husband's £40 purchase of some 'no brand' item.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It seems a lot of money to pay to look like a tit?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Annie, yours sounds very discreet and was a good purchase at £100! Those red white and blue ones which were around a couple of years ago are particularly garish, especially coupled with the matching trousers and I saw some pretty grim offerings in the shops this year, too. I was looking for a new jacket for myself and in the mood to spend a bit, if I found something really nice. But in Snow and Rock the only one I really liked the look of (can't remember the make) was £650 and I wasn't in that sort of mood!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

sounds very discreet

Not normally a statement that can be made about Spyder gear!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very good jackets. Not my style, but I don't have the deep-set hatred of them (& their wearers) that others seem to have.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't hate them, or their wearers, I just think they tend to the tasteless and was responding directly to the OP. wink
latest report
pam w, wasn't referring to you, but then I just read your gash comment. I'm surprised at such language from a lady. Some people get into a right old flap about them. Usually the same people who claim to be carving reds after 2 weeks or "hitting the pow".

Spider wearers are usually pretty good skiers and at the older end of the age spectrum, so I think there is an element of jealousy and ageism involved.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dr John, it's mostly just fashion. Which is why Spyder have made a bunch more fashionable jackets lately and recruited a bunch of freeskiers to wear them.

I'm pretty sure that in another twenty years when I'm still skiing around in my nice roomy kit that is cool now my kids will be rolling their eyes at my shitty fashion too. Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 16-01-13 13:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
No.
snow report
Quality is fine I believe but in European resorts Spyder can only be worn by middle-aged professionals sporting a bit of a belly, preferably American ones (professionals, not bellies).

Just as Bogner is only worn by excessively arrogant, nouveau riche Russians, and Kjus by younger, wealthy Dutch professionals.

If you're not the above and don't want to be regarded as such then don't buy it.

Despite similarly excessive prices, I've yet to find anyone who wears Phenix...
ski holidays
Spider wearers are usually pretty good skiers and at the older end of the age spectrum, so I think there is an element of jealousy and ageism involved.[/quote]

No, yes, no.
latest report
Quote:

only be worn by middle-aged professionals sporting a bit of a belly

yes, actually, now I come to think of it, they often do have bellies. It's not a trendy "young" brand, that's for sure though you see small kids in it.

There were some hefty Brits, fairly aged, clad head to toe in Spyder in Tignes in October. Very good skiers.

Thankfully, where I ski, you don't see much expensive clothing. The typical skier is an expert Frenchman clad in Decathlon gear or a pink and purple one piece Degré 7 from the 1980s. wink The many families are often clad entirely in Quechua.
snow conditions
I forgot VIST, who make clothes for older people who have never even been within 500metres of a slalom gate but want people to think they live on the stade...
snow report
OP Spyder are fantastic hard wearing jackets and trousers; I have a school uniform that has lasted ten years, warm, waterproof and the arms should take off for summer and act as pit coolers, colours fade if used for seasons on end only gripe. MUST be XTL on the sleeve for the best and only.
Tend to be used by race teams US and Canada so they know what to buy for best winter protection and movement when skiing.
latest report
I must say this thread has had me chuckling, stereotyping in the extreme. I ski, a lot, and have had many jackets, however, the Spyder jacket I bought 8 years ago is without question the best I've ever had. Still in great condition, still fully waterproof and exceedingly warm despite being pretty light ( I rarely wear anything more than a base layer under the jacket). This jacket has put in a lot of days! Not the cheapest, but in my experience exceptional quality.

Now lets go through the checklist:

- Yes, I can ski a bit.
- I suppose I could be considered old by some.
- Definitely not sporting a belly.
- Jacket could not be considered garish.
- Not American.
- Just canvassed opinion in the bar in regard to looking like a booby, answer was resounding no from those who know what a booby is.

Guess I only partly fit the bill, I'd better change jackets. What do the style gurus recommend for my profile?

Bob Very Happy
ski holidays
Ardoyne wrote:
Guess I only partly fit the bill, I'd better change jackets. What do the style gurus recommend for my profile?

Eat more pies, enter the green card lottery.
snow conditions
Thank you very much for the input.
If I try to sum up:
Good gear, will last well, and much like everything else will come and go, in and out of fashion. 299 euro is a good price for a 2013 leader jacket.
Anyone who notices the zip is the other way around, is standing close enough to notice I am a bloke. And if they manage to get the zipper open all the way to the bottom will have to deal with my dearly beloved.
That was the positives.

But there appears to be a problem with what Spyder says about you(me).
'Booby', 'gash' and 'garish' are 3 words that would really stand out and I am hoping not to hear from a lift queue from behind me.
As I am in my 40's I guess I am in the right age category to wear this.

So I will have to try in on again and see if I can deal with the stigma.

One more question. I run quite hot when I am skiing does anyone know if this is a very warm jacket?

Thanks again
Wakkitt
latest report
Just made the mistake of typing "spyder ski jacket" into Google images...

In this one even the mannequin has a belly!

latest report
wakkitt wrote:
One more question. I run quite hot when I am skiing does anyone know if this is a very warm jacket?

Thanks again
Wakkitt

Mine is certainly warm. Most have great ventilation with underarm zips.

Bob
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh wrote:
Ardoyne wrote:

Eat more pies, enter the green card lottery.

I'll make a start right now!
ski holidays
Also they are the most regularly faked brand in skiwear - caveat emptor.
latest report
wakkitt wrote:
'Booby', 'gash' and 'garish' are 3 words that would really stand out and I am hoping not to hear from a lift queue from behind me.

They're not garish; they're generic. Seems like half the people on the piste wear the same sort of styling and colouring; you'll blend right in. Whether this is a good thing or not, I couldn't possibly say wink

wakkitt wrote:

100gsm thinsulate in the body; that's quite warm. I run hot too, and I wouldn't want to wear that much insulation if I was active unless the weather was quite chilly; -10 perhaps, with just the jacket over a base layer.

Consider that for 300 euros, you could get yourself a jolly nice hard shell or uninsulated softshell jacket, and a couple of midlayers instead. You'll be able to adapt to a much wider range of conditions, and you'll probably find it much easier to get your money's worth out of the kit.
snow report
wakkitt,

Spend that sort of money on arcteryx.
ski holidays
wakkitt, I'm on my second Spyder jacket, this one (Spyder leader) I bought in Macys in New York for 200$ so around 150e in 2010. Its still perfect and windproof,waterproof, light weight, has no hood on purpose as I wear a helmet and don't fancy the idea of a hood flapping about etc and I don't have a belly, I'm not in a profession, don't consider myself "old" and I race Masters World Cup so I think I have a vague idea of what I'm doing Very Happy Very Happy Go for it you won't be sorry, great jackets.
snow report
Where is Spyderman when you need him?! Actually I know the answer to that - skiing in his Spyder jacket(s))! He will be 'amused' by some of the comments on here. wink I also know he gets his in some outlet or other in West London, so definitely not full price.
snow conditions
Not for me. Gets very dirty, very quickly and ripped in the washing machine when in there by itself. Wouldn't get another one.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
pam w, wasn't referring to you, but then I just read your gash comment. I'm surprised at such language from a lady. Some people get into a right old flap about them. Usually the same people who claim to be carving reds after 2 weeks or "hitting the pow".

Spider wearers are usually pretty good skiers and at the older end of the age spectrum, so I think there is an element of jealousy and ageism involved.

People wearing spiders would normally be entomologists. Either that or dead, which statistically would put them in the older end of the age spectrum. wink

Contrary to your assessment though DrJohn, the Spyder wearers I remember most were a snooty middle-aged couple decked in particularly garish Spyder logoed pants and jackets who quickly had to drop out of a small, led, off piste group in Verbier freshies because they had no idea at all how to, as you say, 'hit the pow' and didn't have the fitness to make up for it either. Even down to their fat, trendy hire skis, they were the epitome of 'all the gear, no idea'.
snow conditions
Quote:

they had no idea at all how to, as you say, 'hit the pow' and didn't have the fitness to make up for it either. Even down to their fat, trendy hire skis, they were the epitome of 'all the gear, no idea'.

See it all the time with TNF
latest report
Have just bought a leader Jacket, £299, from one below Zero. Very good Jackets. Dont really think the brand of Jacket dictates what type of person you are, or indeed how good a skier you are,- Pretty simplistic stuff. Now matched the jacket to my Spyder trousers Smile Jacket replaces a 14 year old Killy, trousers are 4 years old and great. If you like what they look like and the product is good, and works, that is what counts.
snow conditions
albinomountainbadger, yes they are cut for us with discerning gentlemen with disposable income Toofy Grin I'd never buy a jacket but I have the knit and fleece zipped hoody which is great without screaming lookitmeeee!
latest report
Oddly Spyder the guy the jackets are named after was a skibum.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy