Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Tania to Courcheval for 9.15?

Poster: A snowHead
We are staying in La Tania at Easter and I'm looking to book lessons for New Generation for the kids. Unfortunately they don't have the lessons we need in La Tania so our only option is to book lessons in Courcheval 1850.
I'm wondering if it will be feasible to get the gondola out of La Tania when it opens (which I assume is at 9) and then ski down to 1850 in time for the start of the lesson at 9.15 (assuming they start on time). My worry is that there will be a long queue when the gondola opens, does anyone have any experience of this and advice to offer. I've checked the navette times and the first one doesn't leave La Tania until 9.10. The kids will be able to ski down quickly enough so I reckon we should make it if we make it to the top by say 9.10.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think you will have problems as the lifts don't open until 9am (and start is 9.15) and the first bus to Courchevel doesn't run until 9.10 and I think the timetables change after 2nd April as well. Check out latania.co.uk for bus timetables.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
philipb, Probably no but maybe, it would be very, very tight. Are the lessons definitely 9.15 (not 9.15 for 9.30)? 5 mins from the top of LT bubble down though is optimistic, how old are the kids? Best of luck with it snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually you are better off from 2nd April as there is an early bus to Le Praz where you can change.

http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/skibus.htm
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah, I think I'll call the New Gen guys in Courcheval to check how promptly they get going, I've only spoken to their central office so far. The kids will be 11 and 14 and strong skiers, my worry is being stuck in a queue in La Tania at 9 pulling my hair out. Unfortunately my wife suffered a slipped disc on our New Year ski trip so I'll be on my own on this one, getting them both up, fed and out on time will be the first challenge!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philipb, sounds like a recipe for a very stressful week, to me. IME ski lessons start bang on time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agreed - You would need to take the gondola and then the chair to the top, or both drags. I don't think it could be done. Last week the chair was closed for a while when the snow came. Great choice of resort though! http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2013/info/PisteMaps2013/CourchevelValley2103.pdf
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, I think you may be right, I'm going to mull it over and have a chat with New Gen. It would be neat if I can get it to work as I would then be able to head off with the Ski Club who have a Leader in 1850 with a meeting time of 9.30 so wouldn't be on my lonesome for the day (with my wife not able to ski this year and almost certainly staying at home)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
philipb, if you can't get it to work with New Gen, I would happily recommend Magic and Snow Limits in La Tania. Would you have access to a car/chalet staff with a van who might be willing to do a shuttle run over each morning for a fee maybe? Again the best of luck with it, we have had to do similar for the right lessons, fortunately we got an 11.30 start Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is there an afternoon lessons option philipb, ? I stayed in La Tanis last year and would say that would be tight at bst to get over for 9.15 or even 9.30 .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philipb, 9.30 is possible, 9.15 isn't. There won't be a long queue at the gondola but the problem is the Dou de Lanches chair which rarely opens much before 9.20am.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Raceplate wrote:
philipb, 9.30 is possible, 9.15 isn't. There won't be a long queue at the gondola but the problem is the Dou de Lanches chair which rarely opens much before 9.20am.

Yes, I'd totally forgotten about the chair Embarassed Embarassed somehow got in my head that the bubble went to the top which of course it doesn't Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raceplate, I think the Dou de Lanches chair might do for me, I'd been imagining skiing straight off the gondola onto the chair and away we go! If it doesn't open till 9.20 then it's not going to happen, glad I checked before booking. I'll speak to New Gen to double check the times. sarah, thanks for the tip re Magic, I'll speak to them to see if they have what we need in La Tania. The kids were keen to try New Gen so that they can try to get the Snowlife awards, it is a bit frustrating that they advertise all the groups for La Tania but are only running a couple of groups in what I would imagine is a fairly busy week.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philipb wrote:
[sarah, thanks for the tip re Magic, I'll speak to them to see if they have what we need in La Tania. The kids were keen to try New Gen so that they can try to get the Snowlife awards

Try BASS (Courchevel) then too if it's the Snowlife awards they're after, they might have more suitable times.
latest report
As your kids are 11 & 14 and are strong skiers, if you can't get to the lessons you want, I would consider skiing with the kids for the week.

You could then use the lesson budget to get some private lessons for the 3 of you, possibly including some off-piste if you fancy it.

We love skiing en famile, and have done for some years now. Both of the kids had completed etoille d'or by 11 or 12 years old and have skied with us most of the time ever since. They are now 19 and 15 and I can't keep up!!! It has been one of the most pleasurable parts of being a parent, skiing with my kids and watching them progress over the last few years. Last year my then 14yr old son and I hired an instructor to take us off-piste off La Masse, and it was fantastic.
snow report
weedram, agreed, I really enjoy skiing with the kids and we always have fun. In Ste Foy a couple of weeks ago Thomas and I did a 3 day off-piste course with trips into the backcountry and last year we all did an off-piste course in Risoul. They do however really enjoy skiing with other kids and doing all the jumps etc, so if they can ski in a group in the morning and with me in the afternoon that will be ideal.
snow conditions
Spoken to New Gen who confirm that the lessons leave fairly promptly at 9.15. On double checking the bus times it turns out that the timetable changes on the 2nd of April (which would be the second day of lessons) with a bus leaving La Tania at 8.25, arrives Le Praz at 8.30 to connect with the Courcheval bus which leaves at 8.35 getting us to 1850 in plenty of time (either bus all the way or quick lift from 1550). So looks like it is do'able assuming bus can be relied on, all we'd need to do is sort out the first day.
From the research I've done New Gen certainly seem to offer the best lesson options for the children, Magic unfortunately don't have a suitable group for Thomas in La Tania.
snow report
philipb, the praz lift opens at 8.40, wouldn't take too much of a rush to get to 1850 from their in 35 minutes....
ski holidays
ansta1, that makes a big difference. I'd assumed it opened at the same time as La Tania and hadn't been able to find lift opening times anywhere. So bus down to Le Praz, onto the lift and time for a coffee in 1850, which I'll need after getting them up, fed and out in time to catch the bus!
ski holidays
philipb, that is the official opening time it may be earlier or later I guess. If you have an ipad or iphone take a look at eh 3vallees app it shows the lifts that are open, their open/close times, which runs have been pisted and a whole lot more......
snow conditions
Try Sweet snowsports .
snow conditions
You need a tardis.
ski holidays
ansta1, just downloaded the app, seems to work fine on Android. It shows the lift opening at 8.40 and closing at 5.05. From what i recall quite a few resort workers and instructors live in Le Praz so I guess that's why the lifts have a longer opening time than others in the area. Now I just need to give a shed-load of money to New Gen and we're sorted!
snow report
philipb, nice one, its good to see which runs have or havent been bashed. How are you getting to le praz?
snow report
ansta1, I think we'll have to drive down on the first day but from April 2nd the bus timetable changes and we will be able to get the 8.25 bus from La Tania., which means we will be able to ski back down to La tania at the end of the day rather than having to pick up the car.
snow conditions
cool, problem solved. happy days. now about those cable ties......?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy