Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots for women wide feet

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my ski boots
I've currently got some head boots for lower intermediate but looking for a stiffer boot now
I've been skiing for about 20 weeks and go 2-3 times a year

I know head boots come up wide but has anyone got any experience of other makes?
Problem is my ankles are quite skinny but my forefoot is wide Neutral

I have seen head adapt edge and also dream so thought I might try those on
I'm in La Plagne currently so was going to have a look in resort later

Thanks Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Atomic worked for me. G/h fitting when I was wearing kids shoes and narrow heel.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, have just read down to the bottom of your post and seen that you are in La Plagne otherwise I was going to suggest going to see Colin at
www.solutions4feet.co.uk/ in Bicester who fits boots really well.
I have wide feet, very short too and I have Salomon boots with zipfit liners, I used to have problems around the ankle area before I had these.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lauralime, +1 for seeing a bootfitter, don't know that we've ever heard on here any recommendations of one in La Plagne though.

You need to be certain your feet are actually wide, I think lots of people think they have wide feet but that's not actually case. Also footbeds will support the foot properly and stop it from 'spreading' and becoming 'wide'.

For a name of a wide boot then the Atomic B Series range (you can't say just Atomic or just Head or whatever as they all make wide, standard and narrower models) are wide fitting in my experience but that's no substitute for a decent bootfitter looking at your feet and advising.

Good luck snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Strolz really made to measure, fitting included in the price. (you might need to nip over to Lech)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lauralime, a good bootfitter should be able to sort you out. My feet are horrible. Current boots, fitted by CEM, are a full size smaller than any I've worn before (because I needed the width) but he sorted out the shells - my ski boots now have bunions!

Whether in the UK or France, try to get a really reliable recommendation; my previous boots, too big as it turned out, were bought from a well regarded shop in resort.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lauralime wrote:
I know head boots come up wide but has anyone got any experience of other makes?
Problem is my ankles are quite skinny but my forefoot is wide Neutral

I have seen head adapt edge and also dream so thought I might try those on

As a generalisation, Head Edges are usually good for what you describe. Try the Cube too. The Atomics Livefits (and their Salomon twin) are a bit more of a bucket so might not hold your heel.

Bootfitter + footbed of some sort = greater chance of comfort...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, your description made me laugh - I had exactly the same issue and my shells now have bunions also! Very Happy

I'm far from an expert, but would agree with the above advice to find a good bootfitter. I'm a beginner so would have been looking at different models, but for what it's worth, I tried Head (not sure which - but a wide width boot) and Dalbello Raya 7 while having mine fitted - ended up going for the latter as despite not being quite so wide, they were a better fit once the shells had been moulded to accommodate my wider forefoot. They are two sizes smaller than the hire boots I was using previously!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
my girlfriend and i both have quite wide feet, i just bought her some boots and with the help of the boot fitter we narrowed it down to either Head or Atomic. In the end she went with the Atomic live fit like these

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/live-fit-70-w/6232?gclid=CJiS3Yqv6rQCFe7MtAodeHcAPw
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
HI...Best thing is to ask for boot fitter recommendations rather than for specific boots. Everyones feet are different and it depends on arch (and overall foot shape) rather than just heel and foot width. In terms of brands/moodels it's really a personal thing so best to ask people for advice on finding a good bootfitter in the resort.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lauralime,
I have really wide feet too.
9EEE!
It is amazing what a custom fitted foot bed can do.
Deffo see a good bootfitter it isn't always a fortune to spend, once my footbeds were made and the cuff flared (Muscular calf) the actual boots themselves didn't need any other adjustment, the fitter had some of last seasons boots which were going cheap so in all I paid around £250 where I had been expecting £350+ I'm on my 10th week in them and will need to upgrade soon as they are now too flexible, at £25 a week that is a significant saving against rentals or the russian roulette approach of "what boot is good for wide feet?"
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all!!

I would definitely go to a boot fitter and I already have custom footbeds which I hope are still ok and can re-use

It's just in the past I've had someone try to sell me boots that are narrow and tell me they will stretch etc
So I thought if I know a few make and models ill feel a lot more confident in the fitter if they pick out for me
the right make and models... If that makes sense Smile

I'm also off to Whistler 1st March so may hang on until then where I have more time to try them out

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry just to add I'm only a size 4 and have a very high arch
And my feet are pretty wide! I'm a wide fit in my running trainers too
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Your feet sound similar to mine - only mine are also flat across the tops. I was fitted by George McConkey in Whistler - I took my shoes off, he just looked, and said I needed to buy either 'X' (can't remember what they were) or Salomon Rush 8's which I did. A size smaller than I normally take (to fit my skinny ankle) then he blew the toes out to fit my wide foot. And added alsorts of foam bits to the Intuition liners.

Best skiing purchase ever made.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You wil need to go to a fitter and I would recommend atomic which are very good for wide feet also have foot beds they do cost but well worth it Smile
snow report
Looking to upgrade my old boots - which were fitted to accomodate my wide feet but have never really been 100% pain free (well now just suffer from completely numb toes which is better than pain I suppose). I have been sad and measured my feet and one foot is wider than the other - one being 100mm the other 103mm. I WILL go to a bootfitters but having had some hit and miss experiences thought I would get some other opinions before I go. When looking at boot widths would it be better to fit for the slightly narrower foot and then expand one boot to the wider fitting or just get a wider boot with one being a few mm wide. Just from research some of the boots with 100mm last seem to fit description of my skiing better and may give me more options.
ski holidays
Giffordpikes, where do you live? there are bootfitters and bootfitters. some are good, some aren't.
snow report
Giffordpikes, what you need to understand is that the 100mm last that is talked about in boot sizes is (for the most part) in a size 26/26.5 shell.... if you have 100mm wide feet which are size 24 then they are pretty wide, if they are 100mm wide and size 28 they are narrow... most of the numb toes we see are due to a limited flexion at the ankle which then causes the foot to fight against the boot

boot to suit the narrower foot and stretch the shell out fo the wider foot, but be aware of the flexion of the ankle/any pronation of the foot which may want the foot to abduct
snow conditions
Again measured length of feet one is 23.5cm and the other 24. Am assuming that equates to your numbers you mention above which puts me squarely in hobbit territory but perhaps with slightly less high and hairy instep wink. I fear this may mean when I go to boot fitter and put on the sorting hat I will end up in hufflepuff when I want to be in gryffindor
snow report
Giffordpikes wrote:
I fear this may mean when I go to boot fitter and put on the sorting hat I will end up in hufflepuff when I want to be in gryffindor

Brilliant! Fab analogy Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I swear by Rossignol , I've got very wide feet (go off the measure) in 'normal' shoes.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy