Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler's proposed gondola link with Blackcomb - the big solution?

Poster: A snowHead
Whistler in British Columbia, Canada - now one of the world's most significant ski resorts, plunged into crisis during the 2004-5 winter by snow problems - is planning a $50 gondola link with adjacent Blackcomb. It's claimed that this gondola would be the world's highest above the ground, at 415 metres.

Whistler's operators, Intrawest Corporation - the world's largest ski resort developers - want to build the link to boost business, partly by attracting more summer sightseers. The resort also has its eyes on its Olympic ski racing events for the 2010 Winter Games.

The issues are explained in this report from the Globe and Mail.

If you know Whistler's skiing, what are your views on this project? If you don't know Whistler, would it make you more likely to ski there?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, I think that this subject has already been covered.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So has the resurrection of Christ, and the European single currency. I think that if we can get further facts out, it's worth broadening the discussion. The fact that a major Canadian newspaper is now on the case, and adding to the debate, is significant.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In skiing terms I reckon it would make very little difference - it would cut 15 to 20 mins off the time to swap mountains, but in 4 months skiing there last season I only did that once (during the monsoon season just to see if Blackcomb could possibly be any worse than Whistler - it was!!).
Would be quite a spectacular view (and quite scary if you don't like heights!! Shocked ), and looking at the artist impressions it doesn't look like it'll have as much impact on the view as I thought it might.
On a technical point of view, as I mentioned previously, Whistler seems to get more than it's fair share of stormy windy days, would this be a problem for such a span?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the last point, wind-resistance has been boosted by running some of the latest gondolas on two very broadly-spaced cables. Can't remember the data, but this configuration is capable of operating in quite strong winds.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Who gave them that quote!? Shocked Shock
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is this an example of a solution without a problem?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, a scan of the article reveals that there are two key issues:
The technical issue
Whistler's ski area is low, in comparison with US resorts, with (as I understand it) a tendency of rain on the low runs. So, by bridging the two sectors at altitude they get around that problem.
The economic issue
Whistler wants/needs to attract more US business, so they want to be 'bigger and better'.

The key sentences in the article may be:
Quote:
In the past four years, winter hotel-room bookings in Whistler have fallen by a cumulative 20 per cent, a decrease that has prompted the local tourism sector to call for a larger marketing budget. The biggest challenge is attracting U.S tourists, which account for about 40 per cent of the Whistler region's winter traffic, tourism industry officials say.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found out something i didnt know about this proposed new Gondola at the weekend, in that the standard lift ticket might not cover it, you may have to pay extra. EG (i think) $10 on a day ticket, and something like $70 on a season pass. Hhhmmmm, wonder how well that will go over?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If they do charge extra, that's a terrible idea, nobody will use it. If they don't charge extra, though, I think it's a pretty good idea. It's especially good for people staying in Creekside who want to ski Blackcomb - probably cutting 20 minutes off your commute to Blackcomb and 20 minutes off your commute back to Creekside.
Stuarth, you say that you only ever did one day on both mountains, and see this as a reason why the gondola is a bad idea? Don't you think that if the gondola were there (and at no extra cost), you would have spent alot more days on both mountains?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ponder wrote:
If they do charge extra, that's a terrible idea, nobody will use it. If they don't charge extra, though, I think it's a pretty good idea. It's especially good for people staying in Creekside who want to ski Blackcomb - probably cutting 20 minutes off your commute to Blackcomb and 20 minutes off your commute back to Creekside.
Stuarth, you say that you only ever did one day on both mountains, and see this as a reason why the gondola is a bad idea? Don't you think that if the gondola were there (and at no extra cost), you would have spent alot more days on both mountains?

No not really - I don't find that I really ever get bored with the terrain available on on mountain or the other - only did when the only slopes open were round the green chair. Didn't say it was a bad idea, just not that much of a help in terms of skiing more terrain.
I agree with the creekside thing - do you think that Intrawest doing more development in Creekside has anything to do with it?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ponder, and stuarth, I would think the Creekside development has a lot to do with it. The more they develop creekside, the more they need to keep blackcomb happy as such, and get good access from one to the other. Like stuarth, i cant see that i would use it very much, but i can imagine that the more traditional destination visitors might well. And also, would it be available for sightseeing only tickets, ie up the Whistler Gondola and over to Blackcomb that way for non skiers. I imagine that would be a popular idea, there are a lot of non skiers going up Whistler most days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stuarth and Robbie, I do agree that developing Creekside probably has alot to do with it. Which is nice for me, cause I can stay at a hostel in Creeksdie for $18CAD/night Smile Whenever staying there, it has always been a pain in the ass to get to Blackcomb, so this would definitely be a welcome change, especially as I prefer Blackcomb to Whistler. And I believe Dave Murray Downhill will be used as the Super-G course for the 2010 Olympics, and seeing as it empties into Creekside, they're probably going to be doing a fair bit of Olympics development in Creekside.
While I don't NEED to switch mountains mid-day, it certainly would be a nice option. It also seems like a good plan for the future in the very real possibility of global warming - Whistler/Blackcomb could be losing alot of it's lower terrain (some of it is quie nice too, such as the runs off Solar Coaster), which would mean that expanding the effective ski areas by connecting the higher terrain could be a very good idea.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Going back to Davids points

I am not sure that they get round a problem, because I am not convinced that there was a problem to start with. Yes, the base elevation is low and yes it does rain there. That applies to both mountains, so transferring from one to the other does not better that. Typically, once you get up high there is no issue and, in my experience, there is enough on either mountain to keep anyone busy for a day, so you dont need to switch. Even last January, which was woeful in comparison to prior years, there was, in my view, no need for this gondola.

The American market does not fail to go to Whistler because there is no gondola between the two mountains. It will stay at home because of terrorism, a crap exchange rate, high gas prices, hassles at the border crossing (I imagine that pre 9/11 they just drove right on through)and a memory of poor conditions. Why fly from California or anywhere from the East Coast for the above when you can go to Utah/Colorado/California, more quickly, more easily and cheaper (or from the East Coast, over to Europe if they can be enthused to travel abroad). The Americans were Whistlers big market and the big draws were easy access, good snow higher up and a good exchange rate. None of those may be the perception anymore. There was a significant draw from the Pacific Northwest, by car, but that may be down due to price and delays at the border.

I agree the real issue is likely Creekside, the desire to expand that and the need to get skiers over to Blackcomb without having the hassle of getting on a bus and driving to the Blackcomb base. Also, probably, the need to be seen to be doing something bigger and better (which will placate-maybe- those local businesses suffering from the 20% reduction in skier visits) and that with the Olympics coming they maybe have access to cash to do it
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This Creekside issue - if they just laid on a free bus to Whistler/Blackcomb base they wouldn't have to build a big unsightly gondola between the 2 mountains. rolling eyes Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I don't know if anyone else has posted this (apologies if they have) but I understood from friends in Vancouver that one of the problems with US visitors was that the TV weather maps broadcast in the Pacific NW, simultaneously showed US temps in Farenheit, but Canadian (being metric) in Celsius, which made north of the border look blinkin' cold to the untutored (he say politely as poss.) American eye....and thus kept the casual visitor away.

Maybe an urban myth, but it sounds good.... , and perhaps the Intrawest marketing people need to talk to the US TV stations about their output!
snow conditions
Snowy, ski in and ski out is much nicer than taking a bus though!
latest report
ponder, there's not much in Whistler or Whistler creek that's truly ski-in and ski-out is there though? Most of it is ski and walk a bit in, possibly with a short bus trip.
ski holidays
This report from FirstTracksOnline has more details on the proposed Whistler-Blackcomb gondola link, with a listing of the technical specifications.
snow report
Kramer, you know what I mean Smile I consider a 1-5 minute walk from hotel to gondola basically ski in/ski out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy