Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First day skiing after 20 years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just got back from a weeks boarding and yesterday tried skiing again. I managed to get parallel turning and did about 5-6 hours. But the front of my thighs were absolutely killing me and I keep on having to stop. Is that normal? I always get paranoid about health issues you see.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's you general fitness like? What sports / training do you do regularly?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well at the moment not a lot but as I say over xmas I was boarding for a full 6 days which should have prepared me dont you think? I did go to the gym every day in the UK but where I live in France there is niothing really so I dont bother. I am 34 if that makes any difference
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thigh burn is normal - you're out of practise, next time do the dreaded squats and leaning against the wall before you go.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just read it could be to do with technique also and I was skidding and steering in my turns I think. Maybe I need lessons.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not having done both but I suspect the muscle groups will be subtly different. I am a hockey (field) player and so normally when I go skiing it is well into the season, and it is quite good exercise for your quads. Hubby used to suffer the same before he took up running. He typically runs about 7 miles ago now and commented how much easier skiing was afterwards and how he general fitness made a huge difference. Of course it is possible that improvements to your technique will also help but I bet it is just fitness / muscle conditioning.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I find thigh burn results if I lean back too much. Pushing on the front of my boots and getting my hands forward seems to put my body in a better position and the thigh burn eases. Could be coincidence though and I know my general level of fitness could be a lot better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gravitate, skiing in 2013 is much different to skiing in 1993, so I guess a couple of lessons in how to carve the skis properly would help a lot.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Err ... well ... (dons very tatty old ski instructor's cap, not worn for decades) ... skiing, physics, and the human frame never change.

It's always been the case that you mustn't ski in the back seat, and always will be. The only thing that's changed is that the equipment just gets easier and easier to use. So there's less and less excuse for not using it!

Invest in hours of high quality ski instruction. Not only does it cut your energy and muscle input by 50%+ - it cuts the fall and injury risk by far more than that (maybe 80%, at a guess).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK thanks for the replies. Will do some running and ask for free lessons in my club Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I was skidding and steering in my turns I think. Maybe I need lessons.

lots of perfectly respectable turns involve steering! and skidding, too. They won't make your thighs burn if you are properly balanced over the skis - chances are your weight was back so your quads were holding you up. Yes, lessons. And squats won't go amiss. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thigh burn can be caused by having too much forward lean, this could either by having boots which have an aggressive angle or even by being too soft, allowing you to get further forward. The burn is from using the muscles to effectively get up from a crouch every time you turn. A stiffer boot, or less lean allows you to work the most efficient, middle part of your muscle, rather than at the extremes of it's range of tension.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gravitate wrote:
I was boarding for a full 6 days, admittedly sat down for 3 of them but that should have prepared me dont you think?

Fixed it for you! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nobody has mentioned going to a good boot fitter yet!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the past I've suffered from thigh burn quite often when doing steep and long reds, never mind blacks. So skiing last week, I tried to focus on always being better balanced over the skis, flexed forward, arms out in front and pole planting as much as possible. The only time I got any thigh burn was on a very steep and long black (where the above techniques went out of the window Embarassed ) and a subsequent long red, where I obviously hadn't recovered enough.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy