Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's my problems?

Poster: A snowHead
Appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Video reuploaded after requests:

http://youtube.com/v/Xk6bZkOCagY

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-01-13 13:13; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The reason why you have a stem/snowplough shape at the beginning of most of those turns is you push your outside ski sideways at the start of the turn, then transfer your balance on to it. While you are pushing your outside ski sideways you are still balanced on the 'old' outside ski of the previous turn, so the stem shape is inevitable. If you balanced on the outside ski the moment you began the turn the inside ski can be steered easily to stay parallel. You are also in the backseat quite a lot making it more difficult to get the front of your skis find any grip. If you improved the movement you make at the start of the turn would help with both these aspects of your skiing.

Can I ask why you are skiing with no poles?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah I kinda see that, any tips to stop myself doing that, other than just trying to use the outside ski immediately? and yeah I have a bad habit of leaning back whenever I go down something that I can't ski well, always forget to lean forwards, been trying to get that a lot more but sometimes I just don't. Having poles would help me yeah but It's easier for me to just go without having to carry a lot, and I snapped my pair a couple weeks ago and didn't get round to getting another. Which is why I'm trying to get better without poles.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mag1882, if you use poles properly they will help you make the movements that will fix the obvious problems in that clip.

In terms of tips, spend some time on easier terrain to make sure the movement you make at the start of the turn is dialled in really well, then take it to steeper terrain and work hard to keep making the movement. Focus on standing on the outside ski at the start of the turn use the extension you make to ensure you 'find' the ski immediately.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and the start of the turn is before you think it is. i.e. don't wait until you are facing completely down the hill before you begin to start your new turn... by then it's too late and you're quickly out of control.

sportpursuit had some cheap poles the other day, maybe worth a look.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Leaning back when you feel a bit fearful of the terrain is a standard reaction - we all do it I guess. Counter this by deliberately exaggerating your forward stance - stand on your toes, press the knees forward, push your shins into the tongue of your boot and hold your hands our in front.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mag1882, you "pop" well! wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm being suspiciously quiet Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, Go on...do it... Twisted Evil Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gatecrasher, nope, nada, nothin' doin', nowt . . . I've taken a vow of silence on the Holy Basi . . .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, "chuckle!" Laughing

Mind you I've a feeling, I'm going to get detention shortly... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jeez Mag - basically everything is wrong. Get a lesson (and some poles.)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mag1882, I watched it earlier and was so shocked I couldn't bring myself to comment... sorry!
There really is so much wrong an internet forum couldn't possibly help (though I admire Rob for trying). Get some poles, lose the rucksack and get a whole course of lessons somewhere.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Reminds me of some on the run down from the Plan Sud of an evening . . .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque wrote:
Reminds me of some on the run down from the Plan Sud of an evening . . .

At least if they've been in the Folie Douce all afternoon they've got an excuse! Very Happy
ski holidays
Wow Haha, worse than I thought I guess. No I won't ditch the bag, that's a stupid idea. I would get poles but I said I'd rather go without them, hopefully il be able to get lifts up soon and il manage then. Yeah I should have got lessons a long time ago, but never really did. And to whoever said too much wrong for an Internet forum to help, you're wrong. That is never the case
ski holidays
mag1882 wrote:
No I won't ditch the bag, that's a stupid idea.

No it isn't. The bag is affecting your balance and pulling you backwards. When BASI train instructors, rucksacks are banned for the duration of the course (unless specifically required for off-piste/touring). If it's detrimentally affecting the skiing of Instructors, imagine what it's doing to someone at your level.

mag1882 wrote:
I would get poles but I said I'd rather go without them

Ditto - poles are there to help co-ordinate your movements and balance. The way you're skiing makes you look like a blader who found some long skis but doesn't know what to do on them.

mag1882 wrote:
And to whoever said too much wrong for an Internet forum to help, you're wrong. That is never the case

It is if you just tell people that are trying to help you that they're wrong and you're going to do it your way rolling eyes
snow report
Alright thanks, il give it a go without the bag, but there's no more than 10kg max in it, and I really need the bag more than I need to be able to ski well. And to your final comment I never said that, and I'm taking in other tips.
snow conditions
mag1882 wrote:
I really need the bag more than I need to be able to ski well
You really need help for that but that's for a whole other forum. I assume it's something essential like climbing kit?, because 10kg is quite a bit of weight to be carrying sking at your level and from the shape of the pack a fair way from your centre of gravity. As others have said this will have a significant effect on your skiing, I usually carry a pack with just a shovel, probe and first-aid kit, just a couple of kilo's at most plus the weight of a small close fitting pack and I can feel the difference it has on my skiing. Otherwise what rob@rar says.
snow report
mag1882, I really hope you take the advice to get lessons. Nothing else is going to make enough difference to ensure you do not become one of those unskilled out-of-control skiers who are in permanent danger of crashing into someone and injuring them. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Why have you (I assume) removed the video. Day off today and fancied a bit of Video watching....
ski holidays
I did wonder whether a longer stretch of snow with a shallower slope would be of help Puzzled Maybe buy a lift pass?
ski holidays
Mega mum I do have a lift pass, I've always thought I was in control enough in the past, on most of the cairngorm slopes. Next time I'm up il try get a video of the gun barrel or something just to see if I'm as bad there, or if my technique just goes out the window when it comes to the slope I was doing it on in the video.
snow report
mag1882, take me with a pinch of salt - I know nothing Laughing But just out of idle interest how many lessons have you got under your belt to get as far as you have?
snow report
Haha no worries, I'm glad. And just the usual school trip week in alpe d'huez. Then just skiing with friends since.
ski holidays
mag1882, whats happened to the video, cant help if I cant see it Sad
latest report
mag1882, then can I suggest that £50 chucked at an hour with an instructor on the snow won't do any harm? I have private lessons and on the whole I get a lot out of them - you seem to have a fair amount of latent bravado, and clearly don't lack confidence (I wouldn't have gone anywhere near that jump Shocked ), but if you are open to the concept that your technique could be improved upon (and you wouldn't have posted otherwise) then I would think you could do worse than save up and have a ski lesson with an open mind.

Oh, and how about sticking that video back up and prove you can take a little criticism? wink - I'm sure you are big enough to take it if you have the balls to make that jump Cool . You will then have a great before and after reference if you come back and post the same run after your lesson. The folks around here are really nice and will help (and many can - unlike me) if you wish .
snow report
mag1882, go back to that slope if it's pretty short or similar one and see if you are able to sideslip it on your difficult side, practice it with nearly all your weight balanced on your downhill ski, if you are able to do that..go and do it again, when you're really happy at doing it, start at the top again and make one turn onto your weaker side and sideslip to the bottom again with most of your weight on your downhill ski, if you can get this far then practice it until it goes in. Another thing that can help is to look around "into" the turn...ultimately where you want to go...not just down the hill, your body will generally go where your head is telling it.

There was a bit of a clue in your first post about getting even weight on both skis..."that" maybe part of your problem.

These are just things to try and practice, they won't replace lessons.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Private lessons are only £50? I'd definitely consider that, for some reason I thought it was ~120. Any recommendations for an instructor @ cairngorm? And il head down to craigdon and get some poles before I next go up, also going to have to sew on extra straps to hold them, which is annoying but I guess it'd be useful. Il throw the video back up next time I'm at a pc, I just figured best to work on what I know is wrong and then come back and see what else needs to be done.
snow report
mag1882, I don't know about the UK, but in the alps if you shop around sometimes they are around £50-60 per hour IIRC. However, for what you will get out of them even £120 would be cash well spent - don't think of it as a one off payment, but something that you can divide the cost over lots of future snow trips.
snow report
Well I suggested £50 per HOUR - I wasn't far out, but a session with these folks is 2 hrs.

http://www.theskischool.co.uk/lessons/private-lessons/
ski holidays
Quote:

in the alps if you shop around sometimes they are around £50-60 per hour IIRC.

not around my neck of the woods. €52 for 1.5 hour lesson here - up to 3 people.
snow report
pam w, Well I knew I wasn't overly OTT - it is good value in your location!
snow conditions
mag1882, poles might seem useless until someone shows you how to use them. They won't save you in a fall, and don't really help your balance, but after you see how a pole plant sets you up for a turn, you will wonder why you were trying to ski without them.
snow conditions
Quote:

it is good value in your location!

it is, but it's not uncommon; IME the "British" ski schools are more expensive than the French and Austrian ones. Understandable when their groups are much smaller, but not for private lessons. They might also be better value - that's another argument. But anybody who had paid attention during a couple of basic weeks in an ordinary old French or Austrian ski school would get the basics.
latest report
mag1882 wrote:
Private lessons are only £50? I'd definitely consider that, for some reason I thought it was ~120. Any recommendations for an instructor @ cairngorm? And il head down to craigdon and get some poles before I next go up, also going to have to sew on extra straps to hold them, which is annoying but I guess it'd be useful. Il throw the video back up next time I'm at a pc, I just figured best to work on what I know is wrong and then come back and see what else needs to be done.

Why can't you just carry the poles? I assume you're using public transport to get to lifts? I do that a lot, skis over shoulder and hold poles in same hand, boots in other hand, other stuff in backpack. If you've got as big and heavy a pack as people are suggesting here, it may be worth getting some cargo-pant style salopettes, and transfer some of the stuff to the pockets.
snow report
I could carry the poles, although it's annoying having skis, boots and poles all in my hand, especially buying a bus ticket. But I'm more into freestyle and it's when filming that not having to carry poles is good, but that doesn't matter.

@Robrar thanks a lot, you were so right about me sliding my foot before edging, thought about turning today and really realised whenever I did it, as soon as I stopped myself doing it my turns were just so different to how I had been in the past, I guess I must have just been skidding before, but it was much more of a bite this time. Also made sure I was a lot more foward with my weight. Another thing that seemed to help a lot was if I put more weight on my outside ski, Is that against "good technique" though? I'm pretty sure I was told to keep even pressure on each.
snow report
Can't see the original video to know the context, type of turn you're trying to achieve, etc. but "pressure on the outside ski" is usually a good thing. My experience would suggest you should now try and applying it sooner and make your physical movements slow and progressive.
latest report
I'm not an instructor so take this for what it's worth, but I think some of the comments here are too harsh (except for the advice to get poles, you really need to do that). There have been many clips of people skiing much worse who have received useful comments. Yeah the OP is not about to compete in races, but I'd say he's better than the average Brit intermediate skier so I can't see why he's getting so much stick.

Doesn't mean lessons aren't needed.
snow report
mag1882, good on you reuploading the video and I have to say I think the people above are being a touch harsh. I also watched your freestyle videos as well and you're clearly much more in control on a slope you aren't scared of. That said all the technical advice above is good.

If you're going to wear a pack actually fit it to your back properly and use the hip belt and sternum straps. I dunno how heavy or whats in that pack but it makes a significant difference if you're not fighting your packs momentum as it dangles around wildly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy