Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis to get the "carving junkie" out of my technique?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been taking some lessons recently and have been getting feedback that I am relying too much on my skis sidecut to turn when I really need to be doing the work myself.
My current skis are a pair of Atomic ST11's in a 160, Metron M11's in a 162 and a pair of old B2's in a 176 mounted with Fritschi Freerides.
I weigh 140lbs, 5' 11" tall and reckon am about a level 6/7 skier who needs shouting at now and again to stop being lazy Laughing
Looking at the above skis i have the one ski that I am missing is a large turn radius, reasonably soft ski that I can easily get on top of and work to turn small despite the big turn radius.
If any of you guys would be kind enough to offer me any advice/suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

RR
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see four paths to go here:
- Mountain board: (Legend 8000/Karma)
- New School: (Dogen/Troublemaker/Scratch Sprayer FS)
- Mogul (Salomon Twister/ Dragon Slayer M/ Scratch Mogul)
- Old pencil skis from some kind snowHead's closet.

Are you sure you wish to do this with gear?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rockyrobin wrote:
the one ski that I am missing is a large turn radius, reasonably soft ski
...but isn't that pretty much the description of th B2? Can't remember the vital stats, but isn't it about a 19-20m radius? The 8000s at 184cm are 21m.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would say that you don't make enough use of the sidecut on the skis that you have.

To get a ski like the ST11 to make a short radius carved turn you need to put it onto a much higher edge angle.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rockyrobin,

Stop blaming your equipment! This is not an excuse to buy another new set of skis. wink

Anyway, aren't your B2s a fairly large turn radius and fairly soft ski?

Just try a few exercises, get some practice in, and stop beating yourself up over small things - it will come!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with everyone else that you shouldn't be buying more skis (when you already have 3 good pairs!) to fix a technique problem. Spend the money on more lessons from a good instructor instead!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rockyrobin, New boots needed Laughing

Try slow braquage drills to imrove your leg steering. And on your B2's as they're the longest/widest that you have so will be the most difficult to turn.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin, Lessons ! Try skiing with loose, or undone clips. Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rockyrobin, Come'on, you've been told you're "relying too much on my skis sidecut to turn when I really need to be doing the work myself." So it's not the ski's fault, is it.
Methinks you're just after an excuse to give to the Other Half/Bank Manager in order to justify a new pair of planks. wink
Which is not a problem, but don't let on that we've said you don't *actually* need them. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why not just rent "intermediate" skis - crappy edges, flappy skis... Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, Thanks for the recommendations. I'm just floating the idea at the moment after being recommended to try it. Are any of the skis you listed particularly soft in flex?

GrahamN, My B2's have a 17m turn radius. I'm thinking this is not enough for the intended task. I need something that I cannot rely on the sidecut to help with the turning. All the work would need to come from me thigh steering and working the ski to decamber it to reduce turn radius or controlled skid/skarv.

rjs, This is the problem i am having in that I am being warned about being too relient on using the sidecut. If I go for bigger edge angles then I surely will be relying on it even more?
The idea behind this is to get me away from slalom type sidecut skiing and closer to being able to handle wider skis that will be a lot less forgiving.

beanie1, Funny you should mention excusing more ski purchases Laughing You know how it is - getting bored skiing in a freezer, waiting for the season to let you loose.
Next time I do a Monday night i'll bring my B2's with me and see how I get on. They are quite soft, but a little long for my weight/height/ability and the 17m turn radius doesn't feel big enough to force me to work harder.

ponder, I'm currently doing 3 hours/fortnight lessons in the freezer. When I get over to Verbier I should be doing hopefully 1 day/week for the whole season, practising every day between.
The idea about large turn radius skis came from an instructor after watching me ski.

spyderjon, New boots on their way mate Very Happy Just dont go getting yours mixed up with mine by mistake. Laughing
Don't worry, i'll be a good boy and do my braquage drills like you say. I just find it difficult to motivate myself to bring out the B2's when I can have some easy fun on the ST11's/M11's snowHead

ski, I've done that a few times now. Really makes you lock up your ankles though Sad Great for getting the feeling of fore/aft balance/control.

Manda, I am single so no OH to convince. I don't know my bank manager so he needs no convincing. That just leaves just me. I'm easy to convince Laughing Now you've sown a seed of doubt in my mind Wink

Wear The Fox Hat, That's not a bad idea. Especially if they were old skis that had no sidecut worth talking of and were being offloaded to save a trip to the tip. I'll ask around my local shops and see if they have anything in the back collecting dust they would be willing to part with for small bucks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rockyrobin, to answer your question, I don't know about 'particularly' soft but none of them are known for being 'stiff'.

Following up on WTFH's suggestion, though: perhaps? 195cm is about a Pr6-7 so just right I reckon. Or Hmm., the bindings aren't all you might wish. Or Hmm2 or Hmm3 or Hmm4. Any colour preference?

Whoa! I see bad_roo is selling his Spats. That would do it, certain sure.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, Heh, I currently have a ski in my garage thats like them on ebay you linkied. I'll see if I can get hold of the other one and give them a try, though I don't think I would like to trust the bindings on them.

Those Spats looks interesting. Though I do wonder if getting to and from the fluff onpiste may be a bit scary for the likes of me. I bet getting them up on their edges would be a bit interesting until you got used to them. I think they're best left to braver men than me Laughing

I know that at some point this season I will need a full blown powder ski, though not as extreme as the Spats. I'm going skiing tomorrow so will have a nosey in EB and see if they have a pair of Dynastar Legend 8000/8800's or perhaps the Karma's and see if I can get a demo on them to see if they would fit the bill.

Cheers snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, oh, oh, oh, for a pic of Spats in a snowdome. With a Wagner soundtrack. Laughing snowHead

Sigh, my cruelly dashed hopes. wink snowHead

Good luck!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rockyrobin,

Quote:

ski, I've done that a few times now. Really makes you lock up your ankles though Great for getting the feeling of fore/aft balance/control.

I was thinking of something to get your ankles flexing...try loosening the power strap, 1st and 2nd buckles. Aim is still to carve, you'll just have to put more effort in ! wink
latest report
rockyrobin, I don't really understand your question. Surely nu skool carvers are all about relying on your edges?

I have a pair of 201 Rossi 7S you can have, they're a very fetching shade of yellow. They need to be worked though. Also a pair of Blizzard Firebird DH skis in 215cm IIRC.
latest report
rockyrobin, you'll probably find it a lot easier to skid your skis when you get on steeper slopes than those you find in the snowdome. Doubt you can get up enough momentum to practice something like braquage (?sp) very well.

The whole point about spats is that you cannot carve them. The reverse sidecut means that they don't work like normal skis. On hard snow, you turn by rotational movements alone - at least accoding to the article by McConkey...

Quote:
I need something that I cannot rely on the sidecut to help with the turning. All the work would need to come from me thigh steering and working the ski to decamber it to reduce turn radius or controlled skid/skarv.

don't really understand this - decambering the ski is something i normally associate with a carved turn. if you use rotational movements to turn the ski, it doesn't matter whether it is decambered or not
snow report
rockyrobin, "Dynastar Legend 8000/8800's or perhaps the Karma's" Don't even waste your time, the skis you are looking for aren't available in the UK.

Don't look for anything with less than a 40m turn radius (OK min 27m but keep pushing Wink). Otherwise you'll be unhappy that you just bought another pair of skis similar to your B2s, punter skis for punter skiing ( to quote other snowHead ). If you want a Rossi go for B4s but even they're for girls, Squads are a little more like it. If you want a Dynastar then the only Legend is the Pro model, available to buy but what you want is the factory edition. Now that'll hook you up with the turn shape you want, and will be the final arrow in your quiver.

It was great to read Shane McConkey's marketing bumpf with the Spats. I skiied them for a day last winter and I couldn't work out what they're all about. I'd ski them again but only in Alaska.
latest report
rockyrobin

not sure quite what your problem is

1. can't do unweighted/pivotted turns (seems unlikely)
2. can't blend rotary/pivotting and carving (e.g., tighten up a turn that you enter on a carve with a pivotted finish)
3. can't/don't push your skis into tighter CARVED turns than the sidecut implies (overcambering them)

I think you mean 3.

Your Bandits are pretty soft. I think you'll find that if you concentrated on exagerated angulation (gradually experimenting with greater and greater edge angles, building up the speed to balance your movement further inside the turn) you'll find that the bandits can be overcambered into significantly tighter turns.

It strikes me that 1 and 2 are pretty ski independent you just need to release your edges and/or unweight and steer - the stiffness/sidecut are pretty irrelevant when you do this.

J
snow report
I no unnersan - I from Barcelona! What's wrong with carving?
snow report
I think what rockyrobin is getting at is that he doesn't want to rely solely on his ski's sidecut in order to carve. In a way, short mdoern carving skis are making it too easy for him, so his technique isn't improving as it's tempting to just ride the ski round the turn, following an initial lateral ankle movement to put it on edge.

You could try these exercises.

- Doing medium radius turns, ensure that you are constantly either stretching or bending throughout the whole turn – make sure that there are no dead spots where you are static. Don’t over-exaggerate the movement beyond the correct range – just time it so you are the most flexed just before you initiate the new turn. This is harder than it sounds!

- Try building edge pressure progressively throughout the turn. If you have a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being minimum edge pressure and 10 max, start the turn at 1, gradually building pressure until you reach a max of 10 at the end of the turn.

- Try the same exercise as above, but this time for edge angle on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being minimum edge angle - just not flat, 10 the max edge angle possible (at slow speeds in the snowdome!). Build the edge angle progressively from 1 to 10 throughout the turn. The idea of this is to stop you whacking the ski onto 5 at the start of the turn and just riding it round.

Then you can try playing around with these exercises – experimenting with different levels of edge angle and pressure at different points in the turn, and with turns of different radius. Just see what the effect is. Hopefully the result will be you working the ski, rather than it working you!

Hope my scribblings make sense, if not give me a shout.

P.S. You can do these exercises with any ski, although you will make it harder for yourself if you use the B2s, not ST11s or M11s. If you like I will bring my old 9X along on Monday night. They are an early carving ski so much less pronounced sidecut.
ski holidays
Grrrr, just spent half an hour replying to all you guys and somehow I managed to delete it all!
Oh well here I go again,

Sorry for not replying sooner to you guys. Had a few days break at Milton Keynes for a change of sliding scenery so had no net access.

comprex, Hehe, sorry for dashing your hopes on seeing me make an @ss of myself Wink I'm sure it won't be too long before being able to post something of my upcoming escapades that'll put a smile on your face Laughing

ski, Thanks for the tip on the buckles Smile Coincidentally that is currently how I get over my flex problem, especially when the boots freeze up like concrete. Problem with doing this is I can get my hand down the back of the boots so would be wary of doing this outside of the snowdome in the real world. My new boots arrived yesterday so hopefully my flex problems should be reduced with less need to do this. Fingers crossed.

David Murdoch, Thanks for the offer of the pencil skis, that's very kind of you. Luckily my friend who is going over to Verbier in December has owned up to owning a pair of these pencil skis so we'll be taking them with us I hope. Should be funny to slide around on this old kit. I may be able to get some rear entry boots too just to make it more of a laugh. With my one piece suit should be quite funny Laughing

Arno, I find doing braquage on steeper slope a lot easier as I can use gravity to do the donkey work instead of me which unfortunately I rekon won't help me develope the skills I want. I currently am trying to do this on very shall slopes where gravity is of very little help and you have to use your "thigh steering" to do the donkey work. I've been working on my sartorious muscle exercises for a while now so don't want all that effort to go to waste.
With the carving my aim is to create carved turns by loading the ski up by initiating turns with angulation, thigh steering, and using centrifugal forces to decamber the ski to create a carved turn a bit like people used to do before skis a sidecut came on the scene.

parlor, The skis you mention I think I would struggle with being only 10 stone and not the strongest physically. All the big turn radius skis i've flexed so far I reckon I would struggle to get "on top" of as they're all so stiff IMO.
The only ski I reckon may be worth a looksee is the PM Gear "Bro Model" in the new "soft" version. Trouble is noone in the UK stocks them and i'm reluctant to order a ski like that blind unless someone can lead me astray and persuade me snowHead

jedster, Yeah, number 3 i'm not the best at. What i'm really wanting to perfect is turning WITHOUT unweighting if possible. I'd rather go from edge to edge with minimal flat ski and use pole planting for unweighting rather than bobbing up and down, steering coming from the thighs. I think? Puzzled

Gordyjh, I'm feeling at the moment that carving is only one skill that is too easy to learn, but does not help me to ski the whole mountain in all conditions. Also its too easy to ski carving about and never learn how to pole plant properly. I was stood at the top of our snowdome the other night with an instructor and he told us that NOONE there was pole planting properly! After being told why this was needed it made sense so am keen not to get too engrossed with carving everywhere.

beanie1, You've hit the nail on the head, cheers Smile
I'll see if I can get some practice in before next Monday and will try the exercises you suggest, thanks.
If I can master the above exercises on shaped skis then I can try them again on my B2's when I get over to Verbier on the wider pistes without worrying about the boarders whiping me out or me whiping them out Laughing
If you can bring your 9X's with you that would be great, thanks. If you would like to try any of my skis at the same time (B2's with Diamir bindings, ST11's, M11's, M9's) let me know and i'll bring them along for you.
latest report
rockyrobin, that's really easy then... Seth Vicous, Pocket Rockets (whatever it's now called) or Faction Wednesday for 175 or 3Zero for 185 but I'm not sure if Tony has any left for this season, they sell fast.

Can't remember if you said £ was an issue, if not get yourself a pair of Drake Boinays, you get a custom flex pattern. Everytime I mention this I have an accident. Embarassed
ski holidays
Oh and for what it's worth... If you go for something to little and soft so you can 'get on top of it' you'll only end up shredding it like a girly carving ski anyway... go big, go stiff and remember go hard or go home.
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
Can't remember if you said £ was an issue, if not get yourself a pair of Drake Boinays, you get a custom flex pattern. Everytime I mention this I have an accident. Embarassed

Unfortunately the DB project is dead although the American side has set up Drake Powderworks www.dpskis.com which say they'll be getting some skis out by February. The Europeans are still at the R&D stage but reckon they'll be launching their own carbon skis for the 06 season.

Was v disappointed never to get the Surreals I ordered Sad
latest report
Arno, Evil or Very Mad that's so bad... No wonder they've been ignoring my e-mails! Had my eye on a pair of Surreals too. 195 at 27lbs was going to be my ideal ride... it's only 10.15 here, I'm going to have to have a beer...
snow report
parlor, I believe that DP will be producing something a bit like the Surreal, except called the Wailer with 105mm underfoot. More details here:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37807
snow report
parlor, Hope the mess you made wasn't too much of a problem to clean up Wink Drake Boinays eh? Ooops, sorry if you've done it again Laughing
Hehe, if I didn't know better I would think you were trying to bait me into making a ski purchase Laughing
Not that I need convincing as these Look P10's need a new home so it would be very wasteful not to mount them on a new toy Very Happy
It's only 5 weeks till I go over to Verbier so will see about demoing over there before doing the dirty deed.
I'm curious though why you think I should go for a longer and stiffer ski?
My instructor was telling me to do the opposite in getting a ski that I can really get on top of so I could concentrate on my technique rather than fighting the ski all the time. Perhaps nearer the end of the season I would be ready for a stronger ski with my improved fitness and skill by then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually I've cried into my beer so much that... no... you've just set off the tears again. Can't believe they've gone.

Look me up in Verbier and I'll show you why fatter, longer & stiffer is something we should all aspire to Wink After all it was you that started this looking for something to challenge you and get the 'carving junkie' out of you. You'll learn to ski like a freight train, albeit a 10 stone freight train. Mrs P has gone from her comfort zone ski max of 160 to a 168 (she's 165cm) with 98mm underfoot and is loving skiing more now than ever before.
snow report
parlor, <passes hanky to parlor> Dry your eyes mate or you'll spoil you beer!
Does this freight train like skiing involve going extremely fast? Very Happy I used to have a real speed problem which my instructors have been trying to beat out of me. I should'nt find it too hard to get back into my old habits again! Laughing
I've just measured myself as 1.80m tall. That's going to put me in the ball park of some very long ski's Shocked compared to my average 160's and 176 B2's.
I'll drop you a PM when i get over in December to say hi and will see if we can meet up for a slide and perhaps I can be persuaded into another ski purchase snowHead
Cheers.
ski holidays
rockyrobin wrote:
I've been taking some lessons recently and have been getting feedback that I am relying too much on my skis sidecut to turn when I really need to be doing the work myself.
My current skis are a pair of Atomic ST11's in a 160, Metron M11's in a 162 and a pair of old B2's in a 176 mounted with Fritschi Freerides.
I weigh 140lbs, 5' 11" tall and reckon am about a level 6/7 skier who needs shouting at now and again to stop being lazy Laughing
Looking at the above skis i have the one ski that I am missing is a large turn radius, reasonably soft ski that I can easily get on top of and work to turn small despite the big turn radius.
If any of you guys would be kind enough to offer me any advice/suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

RR

Can't belive this one. What's your Instructors problem. Are you then, skiing badly? Or is it just an observation? The only thing i can think of, is your holding your turn a little too long and then are struggling to change direction. But then where are you taking your lessons? Indoor, dry/slope. If so i can't see it. Have these slopes enough distance or width to use the turn radius of your skis. I say shoot the instructor. In fact shoot them all. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I guess to the average skier I look pretty good with my technique but this guy and his fellow instructors have told me why I need to ski in a different fashion and it makes a lot of sense if I am to progress to a high standard of skiing in the future.
I ski in an indoor snowdome on real snow and can easily do a turn and end up facing uphill, carving all the way, so the slope is not hindering me.
Normally I would agree with you about shooting the messenger, but seeing how his other pupils turn out if they put the effort in, i'm inclined to take notice of what he says and do something about changing my technique.
Lets be honest about it. Its pretty easy to blat down a pisted run and whack from edge to edge riding the skis, putting nice railroad tracks behind you in a snake of tidy S's. I want to take things further, skiing the steep and deep, trees, moguls, hucking cornices, etc and look proffesional in doing it to boot. I aint going to be able to just ride my skis to do all that. I'm going to have to do the work with a substantially bigger toolkit than I posses now.
snow report
rockyrobin wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I guess to the average skier I look pretty good with my technique but this guy and his fellow instructors have told me why I need to ski in a different fashion and it makes a lot of sense if I am to progress to a high standard of skiing in the future.
I ski in an indoor snowdome on real snow and can easily do a turn and end up facing uphill, carving all the way, so the slope is not hindering me.
Normally I would agree with you about shooting the messenger, but seeing how his other pupils turn out if they put the effort in, i'm inclined to take notice of what he says and do something about changing my technique.
Lets be honest about it. Its pretty easy to blat down a pisted run and whack from edge to edge riding the skis, putting nice railroad tracks behind you in a snake of tidy S's. I want to take things further, skiing the steep and deep, trees, moguls, hucking cornices, etc and look proffesional in doing it to boot. I aint going to be able to just ride my skis to do all that. I'm going to have to do the work with a substantially bigger toolkit than I posses now.

These places don't require an edge, does he mean you over weight your downhill ski? This is the major problem when skiing unprepared snow. My advice would be to test everything, there are no really bad skis out there. For me, K2 and Volkl have it wrapped up. We've had no returns and their ranges cover everything you need.

Twisted Evil
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Funny you should mention weighting the downhill ski more. This seems to be what lower intermediates get taught, but what i'm aiming for is as near to a 50/50 weight distribution as possible so that the inside ski is not just coming along for the ride but is being actively used all the time, in particular in turn initiation. Also being able to hold the skis in a relatively close stance using my abductor muscles to prevent my skis getting drawn apart and ending up riding differing terrain.
Your mentioning these places don't require an edge sounds good, but I feel there are instances when you will need to edge set to make a platform to push off to help you out in bringing those skis round real quick when things are tight/narrow.
I guess its all about being really dynamic with your technique.
ski holidays
rockyrobin wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Funny you should mention weighting the downhill ski more. This seems to be what lower intermediates get taught, but what i'm aiming for is as near to a 50/50 weight distribution as possible so that the inside ski is not just coming along for the ride but is being actively used all the time, in particular in turn initiation. Also being able to hold the skis in a relatively close stance using my abductor muscles to prevent my skis getting drawn apart and ending up riding differing terrain.
Your mentioning these places don't require an edge sounds good, but I feel there are instances when you will need to edge set to make a platform to push off to help you out in bringing those skis round real quick when things are tight/narrow.
I guess its all about being really dynamic with your technique.

Sounds to me like you've got it nailed, the abductor thing is the Holy Grail, skiing with your downhill foot in front of the other is the spoken way of learning this. I've tried it, it ruined a couple of days skiing but once i got on top of it, linking G.S. turns on the piste is seamless. I think too, it helped me in changeable snow conditions. Got my head up, spotting my lines, grinning like a madman. Good luck mate. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
rockyrobin, I've revived the abstem/downstem thread partly due to your quest for more dynamic turns.
ski holidays
comprex, Cheers mate. I'll take a looksee and see if I can learn something from it, thanks Smile
snow conditions
Quote:
I want to take things further, skiing the steep and deep, trees, moguls, hucking cornices, etc and look proffesional in doing it to boot.

You're *SO* going to need a new pair of skis... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing you're going to need a real pair of skis Laughing Laughing Laughing don't buy 'til you try... you'll feel the right pair of skis when you see them...
ski holidays
parlor, That's what I like to hear! Something to look forward to snowHead
ski holidays
Just back from the PSB, tested some wicked Elan (FIS eligible) and going to get pizza. Only so far off topic as the pizza's ready and I want to eat. Will revert shortly with considered opinion!

wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy