Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - easy reds?

Poster: A snowHead
Despite a lot of time on the pistes, I'm a nervous skier, especially when it comes to steepness. Even some blues seem steep in sections, which scares me off the reds.

Could anyone please suggest some easier red runs in the PDS area to build up my confidence?

For starters, what about the two really long ones from the top and bottom of TK Ripaille to Champery? I'm dying to do them, but scared I'll get halfway down and regret it. Or Arbis from the new Chamossiere lift?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Could anyone please suggest some easier red runs in the PDS area to build up my confidence?

collins, welcome to snowheads. I hope you won't take it amiss if I suggest that the best thing to build up your confidence would be some top quality ski lessons. Lots of good ski schools in the area - BASS, for a start, with small groups and top quality instructors. Then work on the blues till you feel fully in control at all points. It's not just about colour of piste - visibility, snow conditions, other skiers, can all make a huge difference.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thank you, pam... I've enrolled in a course, but after that's over, I won't be able to afford anymore

I also think it's mainly a psychological thing, which I wont overcome until I've done some (to me, an equally steep bit on a blue would probably look steeper on a red!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Ripaille ones are OK. Not sure about Arbis I don't get there a lot. Either side of Cubore is steep.

From Mosettes you have some decent options that are OK. Where will you be staying?

And welcome!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Coming down Abricotine there's a little red shortcut near the top of the run that gave me a fair bit of confidence early on (Les Cases). It's short, and a bit steeper than most of the blue - but if you don't fancy it, just keep going on the blue.

As above, going up one of the Cubore lifts from Abricotine can also be good - bit mogully, but you can choose how bumpy and steep you want normally - just go further to the side as you get more confidence.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
collins, You will be ok on the Ripaille ones - more likely to have to do a bit of walking.
The Arbis from the new Chamossiere lift, no, no. That new lift has been misleading for a lot of people - you used to have to take a very slow 3 man lift up there having got yourself to the bottom of that lift and that was good in some ways. Now its too easy to jump on the six man lift up and the Arbis can be quite challenging on days - and later in the day when the crowds have arrived there are usually skiers splatted all over the place.
We were up there one morning last week, first lift up and it was a joy, we did the Arbis and the black about five times and when more people arrived just moved off somewhere else.
I wouldn't use the Arbis to boost your confidence - unless you do it with an instructor as part of your classes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry I might not have been clear - I was suggesting avoiding the Cubore ones as they are ( as fixx points out) usually bumpy. Not for the nervous.

The red option from Chaux Fleurie into Lindarets is not too bad.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DJL wrote:

The red option from Chaux Fleurie into Lindarets is not too bad.

Agree and can be better than the blue as it's wider, though both can get quite chopped up as they are main thoroughfares.

I am another one recommending lessons if you are nervous, I will ski anything following a blue jacket Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The red from top of Ripaille to Grand Paradis is fine and in good conditions can be a pleasant run home. The steepest part is the first bit. Once you are past the Lapisa hut and into the trees very straightforward. Probably best not to do it if visibility is bad until you know the run. The only other potentially awkward bit is a sharp narrow right hand bend which can get a bit bumpy and icy later in the season but there is a snow cannon and the main problem is the other people who hesitate. You will know when you have got there. Just wait until the track is clear and there is no one coming up fast behind you. Perhaps try it in the middle of the day when there aren't lots of people all going home at the end of the day. There is always the Grand Paradis chair back up. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife had her first year's skiing in Morzine and I asked her instructor to recommend an easy red for me to to take her down at the end of the week. He chose Rhodos in the Les Gets area and it was an excellent choice - nice and and wide and not that steep. This was about 6 years ago, so it may have changed.
In the same area, I think Tuilpe is reasonably straightforward, although the very top can be a bit awkward when chopped up or busy.

If you're OK after doing those two, consider Chevrelles in the Morzine area (from top of Charniaz lift). From what I can remember there are a couple or awkward corners at the start, but kust take your time on those and after that its reasonably straightforward and nice and wide.

I did the red from the top of the Ripaille once as it looked a great long run. In fact there is only a very little good skiing at the top followed by a very, very long flat section (including some uphill). IMHO, not worth the effort of getting there and back.

I agree with previous comment about Arbis - it has a few steeper pitches, so leave it until you've got some of the others under your belt.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd agree that Rhodos in Les Gets would be a good start, wide and mostly not too steep. Tulip has a few slightly steeper sections and is longer, so a good progression from Rhodos. I found Chevrelles very nice, the top is slightly narrower but not that steep, the rest is gentle. In the same area, Belle Mouille is very quiet (so no one to spook you if you want to take your time), and has only one bit that is steep but it is very wide at this point,with the far side being less daunting. Orchis on the lower slopes to Let Gets is also wide and not that steep, with flatter sections, so it doesn't seem too bad.
And stay well clear of Arbis - I would say it is on the tough end of red, especially when busy and chopped up/mogulled.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carettam, beware (not trying to totally disagree here wink )....Belle Mouille can be horribly busy depending on what time of day (popular link to & from Morzine) and Orchis, which I do like, can get very icy - easily sussed from Chavannes Express.

Rhodos is popular with instructors Eglantine is also nice though with a slightly steeper pitch at the top. The blue Campanule which runs next to it is much the same just more, well, blue!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lessons, lessons, lessons. Then learn to judge the piste yourself. Bear in mind every piste will change with time, conditions and of course your own perception.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks everyone for the suggestions - I will try some of these this week Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robapplegate wrote:
Lessons, lessons, lessons. Then learn to judge the piste yourself. Bear in mind every piste will change with time, conditions and of course your own perception.

Is it really possible to judge the piste yourself though? By the time you can see most of it it's already too late!
ski holidays
collins, The piste condition is likely to cause more hassle than the steepness. If you try any red late in the day when it has been snowing it will be very bumpy if not moguled right on the steepest bits. So I would add go early in the day, which will build confidence as that is all the difference is if you are happy skiing blues well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy