Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

home or away kit shopping?

Poster: A snowHead
for items like helmets etc do you shop locally or do you buy in resort?

with the limited cabin bag size how do you travel with a helmet, laptop camera kit etc as it all starts to get very bulky
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helmet clips to the outside of your hand luggage.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could always get one of those silly coats covered in enormous pockets, especially made for cheating carry-on luggage size limits wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
with work i seem to have to try and beat the scales, 14kg weight allowance is a real pain when living out of a bag for a month or more away from shops
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I brought a pair of kids ski goggles in resort last week, £28, saw some in trepass shop in uk this week, £8. I dont regret the purchase as the little chap needed them but £20 in my pocket is better than in someone elses.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If I'm not mistaken some airports do not allow helmets as hand luggage?

Grenoble comes to mind
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmm - flew through Grenoble last week, whilst my helmet was in one of the suitcases, hubbies was in his bag, second year on the trot through Grenoble and he has done this both times. Saw loads of others too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tom00_uk, incidentally, bearing in mind helmets can be in the region of £70 - £100 in the UK, would you buy a new one each year to avoid being "bulked up"?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jocrad wrote:
Hmmm - flew through Grenoble last week, whilst my helmet was in one of the suitcases, hubbies was in his bag, second year on the trot through Grenoble and he has done this both times. Saw loads of others too.

Puzzled

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47851
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helmet and ski boots go in my hold luggage, skis in ski bag, couldn't be simpler. On the whole I would probably buy in resort as there's very little choice and availability in my little dark corner of the East Midlands.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia wrote:
Helmet and ski boots go in my hold luggage, skis in ski bag, couldn't be simpler. On the whole I would probably buy in resort as there's very little choice and availability in my little dark corner of the East Midlands.

Surely Leicester still has some good outdoor shops?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if they make a tube of toothpaste etc pop how well does a helmet fair with the baggage handlers slinging your bag about?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tom00_uk wrote:
if they make a tube of toothpaste etc pop how well does a helmet fair with the baggage handlers slinging your bag about?

Probably about as well as you decide to pack it, I've never had a single break or leakage in my life, but then I do ensure where in a bag I put my breakables or leakables
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't have too many concerns about a helmet filled with socks and knickers and packed in the middle of a backpack. rarely fly these days, but when I went to Tignes in October I put a few of the more breakable bits inside my ski boots, in a ski sock where the most energetic baggage handler was unlikely to make an impression. The whole lot, including boots and helmet, all ski gear (no skis though) came to 16 kg very easily carried (excellent rucksack) by an elderly lady. It's possible to make far too big a deal of this baggage business. I have travelled extensively with hand baggage only, but that's not possible with ski stuff. The quantities some people lug around are mind-blowing. I have one friend who, as a student doing a BUNAC trip across North America took her Carmen hair rollers. Laughing She still gets teased about that, especially as she's not very strong and another friend ended up lugging her stuff, half the time.

(the problems with toothpaste etc can be caused by changes in air pressure, not baggage handlers).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, What sorta size rucksack is needed for boots, helmet and all clothing required for 5-7 days, must be 50 litre upwards?
snow conditions
Ratae Corietuvorum, it's one my petite daughter bought for her travels round south east Asia 12 years ago; adjustable frame, super comfortable. I didn't need many clothes other than ski gear and am not above washing out a set of thermals and a fleece overnight if required. The standard of attire required in Mountainsun's chalet in Tignes is not too demanding. I don't know how many litres the rucksack holds, but it was full - no room for anything else, which is a Very Good Thing. Ensures you make sensible decisions about priorities. e.g. wear walking boots, pack pair of light slippers alongside the ski boots. Don't need a whole new outfit for relaxing in the bar every night.

No independent traveller should ever carry more than they can heft themselves. wink I used the same pack for trip to Genoa in November. No ski gear, but a folding trike for my grandson, a Christmas cake in a tin for his Italian nonni and a huge quantity of builders teabags for my son went in, along with my clothes. When I arrived in a monsoon downpour and had to find my way by public transport to my son's apartment high on a hill above the old town, including walking up streets so steep there are steps, not a road, I was once again grateful for having a manageable pack.
latest report
Ratae Corietuvorum, plenty of places to buy clothing (Decathlon, Trespass, TKMaxx, Mountain Warehouse, various camping/garden superstores) but only Decathlon for ski hardware. I'm going to buy new boots in resort.

As for luggage I do much the same as pam w, albeit with a lightweight wheeled holdall rather than a backpack. Even with ski boots and helmet, it's never been over 20kg, usually around 16-18kg. I can manage the holdall, my ski bag and my small hand luggage backpack easily by myself.
snow report
Ratae Corietuvorum wrote:
tom00_uk wrote:

Probably about as well as you decide to pack it, I've never had a single break or leakage in my life, but then I do ensure where in a bag I put my breakables or leakables

It might be the type of duffle bag im using, http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/helly-hansen-unisex-duffle-bag-50l-65110120?utm_source=catalogue_site&utm_medium=google

For the last few years have used this as they can happily sit on a runway or flight deck in the rain and you dont end up with a bag of wet clothes to try and change into at the pub or on the ship

so ill get a traditional suitcase then the helmet can travel in that
snow report
I actually wrap my Skis around with both our Ski Jackets and Salopets, then any other space can filled with other stuff such as hats scarfs all inside the ski bag, this frees up room in your hold baggage if you need it. Make sure your ski bag is locked though. Then I tape up around the clips with that silver grey duct tape you can get in Homebase, so as to discourage lazy baggage handlers from just grabbing them and snapping the clips off, instead of using the proper carrying handles.

Andy .
snow report
Quote:

ill get a traditional suitcase then the helmet can travel in that

in many small chalet or apartment bedrooms it's difficult to stow a really big fat suitcase. Bags that squish down and can shove under a bed are useful.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy