Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down Water Resistant Jacket: ADVICE and SUGGESTIONS PLSE

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for some advice please, as I am looking to buy a down filled jacket that is also water resistant and wondered if anyone has any good suggestions or which ones to take a look at?

I am looking for ones similar to RAB Neutrino Endurance or RAB Infinity Jacket, but am very open to suggestions.

Thanks
TG
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's your budget like? Sky's the limit for nice down gear wink Montane Black Ice? Mountain Equipment Vega? Crux Plasma? Valandre Kiruna?

If you're not touring (and therefore trying to save lots of weight and pack size), you may well be better served by primaloft; there's a reasonable cost saving to be had, and you won't have to worry about damp.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Serriadh

No budget in mind. If it is decent gear it can cost £50 or anything above that.
Not for touring, as I will generally layer for that.

I wanted something for cold and generally snowy conditions, but still able to cope with some rainfall, if needed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Touchguru wrote:
still able to cope with some rainfall, if needed.

Primaloft all the way. My down jacket doesn't come out if rain's a possibility; it'll likely be too warm or worse, get wet and not be warm enough and that way lies hypothermia. I've a Mountain Equipment Fitzroy for that sort of weather; it has a decent level of water resistance, a nice helmet compatible hood, it packs down to a reasonable size and it isn't too heavy.

For skiing though, why not just go for any one of the vast range of decent insulated ski-oriented jackets out there? Bit more likely to have handy features like snow skirts or wrist gaiters, etc. It'll be plenty warm enough (especially with a decent mid layer) and you don't need the light weight or packability.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice Serriadh

I am looking at Primaloft Options now. I already have a couple of Ski jackets and shells with layering options.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Touchguru, i adore my Mountain Hardwear sub zero SL but I don't think they producea down jacket with a DWR anymore, annoyingly.

I like not having to worry about it getting wet (or at least, not worry too much) and it does get touched by the rain occasionally.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Same for me, I keep the Rab down duvet for when it's -10C or less, just use a thin Primaloft under a shell for anything else when I'm not actually skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks under a new name and Scarpa, that has helped focus my thought process.

I will probably now look at a down option for cold weather as this is my key consideration, and simply take out a shell jacket with Primaloft layering (as I already have a North Face Primaloft mid layer) for any potential rainy days.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can recommend this Rab jacket. Had mine for a couple of years now. It's a down jacket with an eVent waterproof shell:-

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/down_1/microlight-alpine-event-jacket.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Touchguru, my favourite shop has a sale on insulated jackets currently

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Insulated-Sale.html

Are you thinking of this for Japan or Europe (or both)

cheers,

Greg
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Touchguru, patagonia primo down jacket would be worth a look. previous seasons ones come up on fleabay quite regularly for decent prices
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some ME and MHW down jackets are not sewn baffles, they are welded. No stitched seam, and fairly waterproof material.

The fit on these jackets is different. I can't get on width thetight underarms of the ME so have a MHW, try before you buy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a Mountain Equipment Drilight Classic (something like that anyway). Warm, does very well in the wet, been tested on several Scottish camping/kayaking trips. Would definitely get another.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Berghaus brought out a new light one this year which was also waterproof, unsure of price but it got some great reviews on outdoor magic, as said above there's loads of jackets out there that will be more suited to ski in, Personally couldn't think of anything worse than skiing in a full on down jacket with no air vents that's supposed to keep the hot air in,

Alternatively to both go with layers get something like a montane fireball smock with a waterproof layer on top.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
P.s it's the berghaus llam jacket
ski holidays
Touchguru, Salomon
latest report
Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

I got the RAB Neutrino Endurance Jacket (water resistant rather than completely waterproof) as I decided warmth was more important for cold days, than taking it out in the rain.
snow report
Touchguru, oh dear me that looks toasty. Nice choice!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy