Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Small tear in ACL and bone bruising

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
Has anyone any experience of torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament?
10 days ago I had a fall nothing too dramatic. But now I have the results of the MRI scan etc. I have a small tear in the ACL in my left knee and bruising of the bone. I have been told to go to an Orthopedic Surgeon which I will do.
In the mean time lucky me is due another week skiing starting 20th Jan. I have been told by a physio there are risks with skiing with my ACL in this state. I am also told if I take it easy and wear a brace I should be ok.
Does anyone have experience of skiing with a brace? so soon after an injury? not having seen the surgeon yet?

There is a lot of wishful thinking here,
Thanks,
Wakkitt
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wakkitt, Lots of people ski with no ACL at all so an ACL with a small tear isn't the end of the world.

I suspect that I skied with one for my whole ski career with one until I got unlucky and it popped. The question is probably how best to rehab now and how long will it take to heal before returning to skiing. Building muscle strength will help protect it - Seeing a good sports physio would be an obvious next step.

Have a look at some of the experiences from assorted snowheads in this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91354

As an update I'm back to skiing full on, 7 months post op.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wakkitt,

You should get it assessed properly.

10% can do pretty much anything they like after an ACL rupture without restriction.
At the opposite extreme a similar percentage will be unstable on day to day activities.
Everyone else in between some of whom will cope by avoiding certain activities.

So you may be able to get away without a reconstruction but it would require a good physio programme.
If you do not find it a hassle to use a brace that may help but you can't play contact sports in it. It is certainly a good option for someone who wants to occasionally participate in a twisting sport such as skiing.

From the time scales you give I think you would be at a significantly increased risk of further injury if you skied end of Jan even with a brace. Your proprioception ( subconscious feedback and control of the muscles and joint) will be greatly reduced even after a minor injury. Also bare in mind that grading ACL injury severity on scan often under estimates the injury in my experience.

Sorry, I'm sure not what you wanted to hear.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 14-01-13 22:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonathan Bell wrote:
wakkitt,

You should get it assessed properly.

+1

wakkitt, I would listen to the expert above
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My husband tore his ACL two years ago. Did a lot of physio and was back skiing last year with a heavy duty brace. Had few issues since!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a quite badly bruised bone about four years ago. After a few days in the bumps I can still feel it, but I ski in a brace just to be on the safe side.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy